Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Handgun Owners/Experts

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:57 PM

03Monte, Magpul ftw! I love the look and feel of all of their parts for the AR line up. An Eo Tech would make that thing just beautiful.

For pistols, Glock are reliable, but you can feel the kick more because of the polymer frame over the Sigs full metal frame. I would go to a range, and ask to try both and see what feels better to you.

As for caliber, an armored car will be a higher risk target for theifs which= smart theifs creating their own form of body armor like in the Hollywood shootout, or idiots not knowing how to use what their pointing at you. So I would go with at least a .40 hollow point.

If you want to have a back up to that pistol heres something else you could think about.
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Tauru...e/DSC00272.jpg
Your own personal hand cannon- The .410 or .45 colt Taurus Judge!

Old 09-23-2009, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cut Throat
03Monte, Magpul ftw! I love the look and feel of all of their parts for the AR line up. An Eo Tech would make that thing just beautiful.
yea i love magpul, they make some great products! the eotech would make it look better, but it looks pretty sexy right now

Originally Posted by Cut Throat
For pistols, Glock are reliable, but you can feel the kick more because of the polymer frame over the Sigs full metal frame. I would go to a range, and ask to try both and see what feels better to you.

As for caliber, an armored car will be a higher risk target for theifs which= smart theifs creating their own form of body armor like in the Hollywood shootout, or idiots not knowing how to use what their pointing at you. So I would go with at least a .40 hollow point.

If you want to have a back up to that pistol heres something else you could think about.
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Tauru...e/DSC00272.jpg
Your own personal hand cannon- The .410 or .45 colt Taurus Judge!
the judge is a hand cannon no doubt, that thing would be intense to fire...

Old 09-23-2009, 02:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Did someone say The Judge??

Old 09-24-2009, 04:48 PM

BlackSheep, I meant this judge... both very nice tho

Old 09-24-2009, 06:19 PM

You have some great advice here already. I have a tarus 24/7 .45 with hollow points, that has done me well so far. Locally police captain recommended a glock during my conceal carry class. He also recomended to carry a semi auto and a 6 shooter for backup as a semi auto can jam. The 6 shooter just requires another pull of the trigger to be firing.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:47 PM

Well those are some nice guns but I prefer my Smith& Wesson 686.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I still prefer my slingshot.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sir Monte
Well those are some nice guns but I prefer my Smith& Wesson 686.

What a beautiful gun. A little big for an everyday carry for me I think, but a great gun.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:51 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I do'nt think concealment is an issue for you in this case. I wouldn't worry about that aspect.

I don't personally like the Taurus's. They have good customer service, based out of Miami, but my Uncle had one. It's very pick yabout what kind of ammo it eats, and it tended to break alot. They fixed it everytime, but a gun is something taht when you need it, you need it right away!

I like the HK USP and P2000's, they're alot of money but they are a reliable shooter.

The Glock is a FANTASTIC combination of reliability and affordability. It's not pretty, it's boxy, it feels like a brick in your hand, but man it is TOUGH!

I don't know anything about the Sig Sauer's, your on your own if you get one of those. A Beretta .25 is what Bond carried in Dr. No at the beginning and Q said "I thought so, this damn Beretta again."

That being said, the Walther that they gave him in it's place is about as wimpy as the .25. The new Walters jam and break alot too, their kind of quirky from what I hear. Not a good buy considering the HK's and Glocks are out there as well. Can't say I'd recommend one. In that seen where Q gives Bond the Walther PPK, you almost expect Bond to go Monty Python, "That's not a gun, THIS is a gun!" on him.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:04 PM

How old was his Tarus? I have a few thousand rounds through mine with out a single malfunction and I run cheap ammo that caused problems with my ruger. I have been told that any Tarus previous to 2004 had serious issues and that that they are much better now.

Quick Reply: Handgun Owners/Experts