Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Grand Am - New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 11:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Grand Am - New Wheels

So, when I had a black '02 Grand Am, I did not like the aftermarket wheels the last owner put on. I got some Grand Prix torque spoke wheels. This weekend, they got new rubber wrapped around them and installed on my orange '04 Grand Am.
I had the shop ditch the clip-on side weights and use the sticky weights instead. Left me a few areas to touch up. My touch up is not perfect, but it's pretty darn good (aluminum paint was a darn close dead on match for the factory finish).
Also, because of a curious question ChibiBlackSheep and I discussed, I broke out the bathroom scale and weighed them.
- Dirty factory Grand Am wheel with worn tread - 42 lbs.
- Cleaned up Grand Prix torque spoke wheel (with 225/50R16, Grand Am size tire) - 38 lbs.
First, odd it was no decimal (it was a whole number), but that is a savings of 4lbs per wheel, 16lbs total for the car.

Attached are two pics of the Grand Prix torque spokes on my car (pardon the dirt) and a pic of it with the old factory wheels.
Don't get me wrong, I do like the factory wheels (had I not had the torque spokes, I would continue to rock the chrome wheels).

Attached Thumbnails Grand Am - New Wheels-img_2107.jpg   Grand Am - New Wheels-img_2108.jpg   Grand Am - New Wheels-img_1177.jpg  
Old 10-12-2016, 08:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nice! I still love orange as a car color; it's not as common as red or as brash as yellow, and it's still a 'warm' color.

I believe those 'torque-twist' wheels were also issued to LS1 Firebird Formulas and Trans Ams (might have a different offset or something though, I don't know for sure). By the way, what's your tire (brand) of choice there?

Old 10-15-2016, 12:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't love orange on all cars, but I love it on this Grand Am (I was thrilled to score this baby for my daily driver a year or two ago) and a huge bonus with the SC/T package (that is the ram air hood and a different spoiler).

I think the Firebirds had a similar but not exact wheel.

As for tires, I've had a variety of tires, but over the years, I have been a big fan of Kelly brand tires. I've ran Kelly's on my '84 Camaro and a variety of Grand Ams over the years. I find them to be inexpensive (not the cheapest tire, but far from the most expensive), you get a good lifespan from the tire and they handle really well in all weather conditions in northern Ohio and seem low road noise. Over the years, I feel Kelly tires have given me a good value for the dollar. For example, the Kelly's I just put on those Grand Prix wheels were $436 out the door for all four (mounted/balanced/tax).