Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

good and bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default good and bad

Good news: I am in the car with my wife enroute to get my eyes corrected with lasik (I hear it's awesome I hope to say the same later).

Bad news: we woke up to another basement flood (and here we thought it was solved). My dad is there getting it drained while we r away (but I will be sleeping off the surgery most of today).

Right now we don't know where the water came from. This is the 3rd time (the last 2 times it was sewage, we believe that issue has been resolve and I saw no signs to prove back up this time).

Old 07-20-2013, 07:59 AM

Hi Mod `Jason,
Wish you the best on your eye lasik procedure

• <cite style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51); font-size: 14px !important; font-style: normal;">www.mayoclinic.com/health/lasik-eye-surgery/MY00376</cite>‎

LASIK eye surgery — Overview covers definition, risks, what to expect from vision correction surgery.

Please keep us updated after you rest & recover & see the World with a better view

* Sorry about your flooding problem(s). Do you have flood insurance ? Have you used sealer on your basement walls ? I sure hope it's not causing any major damage ? Is there any experts in your area that you can seek advice ? Or search the web for same & similar type flooding problems (?) Good Luck 4-Sure!

Wish you the best & we will be looking forward to your updates

Last edited by Space; 07-20-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Best of luck with your LASIK procedure, nothing like having not to wear glasses all the time if there is a way around it.

Darn basement flooding is the worst, seems like an enigma that is hard to get under control if the reason is not obvious. Sorry to hear about that happening to your family for the 3rd time...

Old 07-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Good luck with your vision quest lol. I hear ya on the flooding in basement. With all the constant rain here in GA the past few months ours has flooded around 8 times this year at least. This house has no sump pump. Lost alot of stuff unfortunately and we got water in the garage too and lost tools, parts and equipment there.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:41 PM

10 Year Member

Good news, the surgery went well. My vision is better, but still a little cloudy (as I understand, that is normal).

As for the basement, over the years we've done:
- Drylock-ed the inside walls (previous owner had external water proofing and footer drains)
- Footer drains had no exit, we added a sump pump to empty the drains.
- added a back flow valve (as the first two floods were definitely sewage).

We're not sure if this was an issue of the back flow valve failing or not.

I've had sewage/flood insurance but I just found out today after my 2nd claim, State Farm dropped my coverage for this. Luckily the damage was minimal compared to to the last two times, but this really has me angry about the insurance coverage.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

glad to hear it went well! The wife has been considering it, her eyesight is miserable.
I've had issues with the basement flooding.. i feel your pain!!
2 years ago we had record high rainfall & the cesspool backed up through everything. Mainly through the washer machine drain and flooded out half of the basement twice. Yuck! Luckly its unsealed/unfinished so the water seeps back into the ground.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:43 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

There would be no way in heck I would get lasik - I think my eyesight is too bad and don't want the risk of going blind LOL!

Old 07-21-2013, 06:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
There would be no way in heck I would get lasik - I think my eyesight is too bad and don't want the risk of going blind LOL!
Amy, I wore glasses for 39 years and had the LASIK done in 2000. BEST thing I EVER did for myself! My eyes were about -7.5 diopter, pretty bad nearsighted. My glasses were thicker than yours.

Jasn, I KNOW you're going to be thrilled with your vision, I've all ready told you that, I hope you can get your flooding issue figured out once and for good!

Old 07-21-2013, 08:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Jason:
Isnt it amazeing that a few hours later you can already see?
Lizzy was impatient...and she couldn't wait to try out her new eyes...

They gave her some killer looking wrap around sunglasses too to wear home... (I wear them now and again)

Probably now when we see you...we wont recognize you without yur glasses!

Hope you get the basement flooding figured out!
Glad to know your surgery went well!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:51 PM

10 Year Member

The Lasik was a breeze having now gone through it. I had glasses since before I was in kindergarten and even though there is some time to go before my vision is 100%, I'll say it's great not requiring glasses. And I had a very thick prescription. My worst fear was that they might tell me there is nothing they can do for me, once they said I am a perfect candidate, no more fear (just nervous to do it).

As for the basement, we think we got it all figured out. My dad's friend (a master plumber) and his son (also a plumber) were both over Saturday trying to find answers to my problems. They proved that the back flow valve worked as planned. Plus based on my account of what I saw before heading off to my Lasik appointment (my basement shower was dry until I opened the door sending flood water into the shower, the shampoo bottles were not disturbed until that door opened, proving it was not sewage, since that is the lowest drain in the basement). It comes down to rain water. This is a result of a volume of rain that came down harder and faster then my footer drain and drain pump could handle.
Current plan I am going to explore, get quotes on having my footer drains fixed as the last owner made some big mistakes. They are currently 4" pipes, holes facing up when they should face down and towards the house, and go with 6" pipes. Add a second sump and pump for the footer drains and get the water away from the home. I'm sure this is NOT going to be cheap.
I have the resources to go the DIY route (round up some friends/family and rent a excavator), but I just don't have the drive to fight this problem like this anymore.

But at least my damages appear minimal.

Quick Reply: good and bad