Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Going to get a Chevelle.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Default Going to get a Chevelle.

I am going to be getting a 71 Chevelle. It is sitting in a pasture. A friend at work has it on his place. It has no Engine, Tranny or hood. It had factory Air but it was removed long ago. Total price $50.00

I plan on redoing it but not stock or restore to original, Aluminum Door panels, Fuel Cell, Autometer gauges etc....... A car to have fun with

Old 04-29-2008, 08:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: Going to get a Chevelle.

Its always nice to have a car around just to have fun in. We have 2 69 chevelles, one done, one in progress. To me, the chevelle is the perfect example of a muscle car. Big, fast, loud and mean looking. Cant beat it. Throw a big block and a M21 in there and you have yourself a ride.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:58 AM

I wish I had the knowledge and skill to restore old cars. I would love to have an old chevelle or GTO.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:14 AM

[align=center]Hi Brian,[/align][align=center]You are a lucky man 4-Sure....WoW, only $50 dollars [/align][align=center]Sure hope you take some pic's. We would love to[/align][align=center]see it sitting in the field, and then the steps of rebuild : )[/align][align=center]Look forward to your future posts/pic's.[/align][align=center]Good Luck from `Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Found the below on the Web, I thought you[/align][align=center]and members would EnJoy[/align][align=center][:-][/align]
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
[/align]

The low-14-second quarter-mile times posted by the 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 required no apology. But they weren't too impressive coming off a year in which the best Chevelle muscle cars dipped into the low 13s. Chevy, like all of Detroit, was struggling to cope with a world that had changed overnight.

[align=center][/align]
[:-]If you want to see tons of Muscle Cars, click on the below Image Gallery [:-]
Muscle Car Image Gallery
[align=center][/align][center]

©2007 Publications International, Ltd.
Small-block V-8s were suddenly in tune with the times, but the 1971 Chevrolet
Chevelle SS 454 remained to represent big-block muscle car power. See more
muscle car pictures.

Emissions standards had forced a switch to low-lead fuel, which in turn cut compression ratios, while insurance surcharges on supercars prompted tamer power-to-weight ratios. The impact was obvious in the 1971 Chevelle SS line, where small-blocks re-emerged in the form of two 350-cid V-8s, a 245-bhp two-barrel and a 270-bhp four-barrel.

[:-]

©2007 Publications International, Ltd.
The $100 gauge group with sport steering wheel is among this ragtop's options.

[b]But big-block power still was available. The 402-cid four-barrel cost $173 and had 300 bhp, 50 bhp below the previous year's base SS engine. To retain the ha

Old 04-30-2008, 01:06 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I didn't like the '71 Chevelles much (preferred the 2 headlight design of hte 1970), until I saw the replica I have in my room... a 1:18 71 Chevelle SS454 convertible

My dad and I are almost done with a 1950 Chevy 3100 Truck. Let me tell you man... you got it in for you . It came to us as a jigsaw puzzle... the drivetrain was assembled, and working. A 4 speed out of a 1960's car and 2.73 rear ends (it is TOUGH to tkae off with... I've backed up at 10-15 mph and I have not made it all the way out of the clutch in reverse yet)The cab and front fenders were on, but only the black parts were painted. We had to paint the rest ourselves, put the bed on, and we still have a couple of chrome pieces, bumpers, headlights, and taillights to put in. Man, is it fun to drive an old car with a 4 Speed... I wish I had bought something with a manual now!!!

I was taking my mom for a trip down the road and back, the thing is rough coming out of the clutch in reverse (see the part wehre I mention the 2.73 gears)... thats the reason for the expression on her face

Old 04-30-2008, 02:27 PM

Hi `Duane,
Your model 71 Chevelle SS 454 Conv is Super/Super,
but I really/really love your 1950 Chevy Truck is Awesome <~ 4-Sure : )
`DuaneLooks like a MoonShine Runner 2 me
When do you think it will be completed ? Can you use it when you want ?
That would make a SuperSurf Truck : )
Duane, is it a floor shifter ? Is the engine stock ?
Thanks for shar'in/post'in....The Bum's are again look'in over my shoulder
and love `it to. What do you think it worth ? Not sentimental value,
but what itwould sell for in the real world.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:53 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

it's a floor shifter... but not a stock floor shifter, they all came wtih 3's on the tree's. somebody put a 4 speed on the floor though (which i much prefer either way). The engine, although not stock, was a common upgrade: a 261? which put out more power. The 1950 came stock with a 216. The guy who had it before my Uncle Jerry bought it in 1990 put a CD player in it (or he says so... I think he did it). We should have it done in a couple weeks weather permitting. My dad says I can drive it some, but not all the time (I'd miss my Monte 4sure).

I am looking forward to teh SuperSurf Cowboy Moonshine ride being on the road... I wnat to drive it to school some before I graduate in late May (and it may happen

I believe it should eb worth $12-15k (we painted it ourselves and such), the sentimental value isn't THAT much, but some. My uncle prefers to just let stuff go for less than it's worth that go through the hassle of selling stuff and having people come by, the "I'll think about it's", the people coming by your house... he'd rather just let it go. He let us have ti for $2500 and my grandfather brought it all up when he came up in October for his birthday and to listen to me preach that weekend.

But this isn't even the vehicle my dad REALLY wants.Uncle Jerryalso has a 1951 Chevy 4 door that was fully restored and then put away... my dad wants us to ride down there and get it. Uncle Jerry woudl like to get $10k for it, but I think we could talk him down prettygood all things considering, being he is a nice guy, we are family....

I wish I could name all the things my Uncle Jerry has... I know he's got 5-6 other old Chevy's. Having a rich Uncle isn't so bad

Old 04-30-2008, 06:10 PM

Dwayne,those cars are awsum. Remember back in the day going up against a couple of `em on the strip. Good lookers...send some pics of it when ya can. The truck is cool by the way. Are ya going to put the 454 in it or what?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Nocturnx

I wish I had the knowledge and skill to restore old cars. I would love to have an old chevelle or GTO.
you have the skilz if you can use a wrench and a screw driver and read a book.
BELIVE ME thye are not that hard to do But it is verry time consumming to do them right and as long as you take your time and do it right you will have somethign you cna pass on to the kids and grand kids and be real proud of it.

go to barnes and nobels etc... and youcan find books on how to restor old cars and trucks and the principal is the same fro all cars and trucks .

Old 04-30-2008, 06:17 PM

oh and also do your self a favor . run the VIN#
see what it was. or is.

you can do a sech on googel and just look for a vin# decoder this will allow you to find one easy enough.

also get on paddocks site they have a free parts book and there are absolutly tons of others out there for parts on those cars.

you can also go to Classicchevy.com it is classic chevy industries. they have parts and info for anythign GM from like 54 threw 72 cars and trucks etc....

you need to get some photos of it and show us.

Quick Reply: Going to get a Chevelle.