Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

GM Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default GM Nationals

I figured since we have a couple Monte nationals threads floating around i'd start one for GM Nationals, mainly because im looking for some information

This will be my first car show i've entered and i'm not really sure what to expect or really how to prepare. I was thinking of having the car professionally detained before i head out to Carlisle, and when what should i have with me to clean the car up again out there? Im just looking for some info so i know what i can expect at the show. Thanks guys

Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 PM

On the day of the show last year we left early and ran Devin's car through an automatic car wash, then hand dried it with microfiber towels. I'm assuming we'll probably do the same this year. He had his interior and under the hood detailed before we left. No idea what he's planning to do this time around with that, but I'll probably do all of the cleaning on my car myself. I'm picky.

So I would say just bring towels and tire shine if you want it. Bug gut remover is helpful as well. Also with your black car you're probably going to want to get yourself a California car duster.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

just a heads up kene (did i spell your name right? lol) the GM nats out at carlisle are fairly dull, not much going on compaired to the other shows. still fun to attend but only takes up mabe 1/4 of the fairgrounds, if that much.

as for stuff to bring, for carlisle you'll want lawn chairs, rain ponchos ('caus it always winds up pouring), a change of socks & shoes just in case, sunscreen, a big cooler full of water & drinks ('caus when it's not raining it's HOT!). you may also want to consider a camp stove / small grille and some hot dogs & burgers to eat, food is pricy out there, and you have to be carefull what you get! for detail stuff, i'd suggest armor all wipes, tire shine, quick detailer, plenty of rags, and something to dry the car with.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Yes we go down with a group and do a laser wash before the show, then dry it and tire shine it! When we get to the show ill go around with the california car duster and dust then, then whipe down any spots i see with the microfiber. Thats at the show.
Before the show i got the engine bay/intirior detailed. When i got to the show i whipped the inside down as well.

Idk what he's saying but GM nationals was one of the biggest shows ive been to last year, it was packed with ride plus loads of fun

Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

Originally Posted by MnteCrloSS47
Yes we go down with a group and do a laser wash before the show, then dry it and tire shine it! When we get to the show ill go around with the california car duster and dust then, then whipe down any spots i see with the microfiber. Thats at the show.
Before the show i got the engine bay/intirior detailed. When i got to the show i whipped the inside down as well.

Idk what he's saying but GM nationals was one of the biggest shows ive been to last year, it was packed with ride plus loads of fun
it's small for a carlisle show is all i mean. not a bad show by any means, just alot less going on than many of the other shows.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Thanks for the tips so far guys(and gals) I've never really gotten into detailing or anything like that so i've got alot to learn, especially having a black car.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 PM

The NY Monte Carlo Club sets up a big tent, so bring a chair. A small cooler with drinks. I don't think we ate at all at the show last year because we went out to dinner as a group afterwards.

We all hang out pretty much together all weekend, so just chill with us and go with the flow.

Get lots of sleep before leaving, because you won't get much GM weekend.

Last edited by SnakebiteSS; 01-16-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

You all have fun at the GM Nats! Bring back pictures! Ill do the same at the Monte Nats!

Good luck to all of you!

Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

I too wish you all Good Luck...

Be safe and most of all have fun!

Lookn forward to some picks!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Coming from about 6 hours away, the exterior needed a good bath. I went to the pressure washer to clean'er up. I brought:
- Simple Green (great for wheel cleaning)
- The brushes I use to clean the rims and tires
- Maguire's Hot Shine (not the foaming stuff) to give the rubber the "wet look"
- The Absorber (used to dry the car)
- If I felt I had time or needed to, I had my wax and the various clothes for applying/removing wax
- Armoral wipes (in case of a little touch up)
- My car cover (covered at night, helped keep things good for the morning)

For the most part all my stuff fit in a bucket. We also had a cooler and lawn chairs.

Quick Reply: GM Nationals