Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

GM Gives Public Rare Glimpse Behind Factory Walls

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up GM Gives Public Rare Glimpse Behind Factory Walls

Hi Member's, I thought a few member's would be interested in the below article from GM...I was happy to read
Soon, preparations will begin for a new 6-speed automatic, followed shortly by a new 8-speed automatic rear-wheel-drive transmission that will debut in future GM rear drivers. WoW

GM Gives Public Rare Glimpse Behind Factory Walls

Automaker opens the doors to its Toledo transmission plant and dispels some myths.

Posted by Andrew Wendler Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:37:51 AM

When General Motors opened the doors last Friday to give the local community unprecedented access to the manufacturer's 2 million-square-foot Toledo Transmission facility, hundreds of area residents -- myself included -- and former employees jumped at the opportunity.

And I lived to tell the tale.

As visitors gathered at the southwestern corner of the 151-acre facility, curiously bemused employees dispensed protective (and stylish!) eye protection from a cardboard box. They kept repeating how pleased they were to share their facility with us, but at the same time couldn't quite seem to fathom why average folk such as ourselves would want to spend a beautiful summer day inside a factory, particularly as it didn't involve a paycheck. It was like a bizarre mash-up of the scene in “***** Wonka” in which Wonka greets the kids outside the chocolate factory and the epiphany scene in John Carpenters' “They Live,” in which the normal citizens put on eyeglasses that allow them to see otherworldly things that have been among them all along.<!--EndofExcerptMarker-->

After a comically short bus ride of 20 seconds or so, we found ourselves in the belly of the beast. Or rather, in the clean, brightly illuminated and climate-controlled interior of Toledo Transmission. For those of you still laboring under the impression that the internals of most automotive plants remain something akin to dark, mysterious machinations born from Upton Sinclair's most horrifying nightmares, I'm here to tell you it's just not so.

Known to those in the region as Toledo Powertrain -- or simply “Hydromatic” in deference to the vaunted transmission of the same name that was for decades produced within these walls -- Toledo Transmission is running at full capacity, producing more than 5,200 hundred transmissions a day. In 2010 alone, the plant produced 525,972 6-speed rear-wheel-drive transmissions and 111,064 6-speed front-wheel-drive units. The Corvette, Camaro, Cruze, Malibu, Regal, LaCrosse, Silverado HD and Suburban are just a few of the GM nameplates that shift with Toledo-built transmissions. The new Chevrolet Sonic and Buick Verano will join the list when they hit the streets later this year.

During my self-guided, one-hour tour of the plant, I spoke with several employees, all busy and task-focused, but friendly. I saw not a single sweaty or furrowed brow. A hand-written sign on a work station reminded employees that all “Fridays in August are Hawaiian shirt days.” Readers lucky enough to own a copy of Ben Hamper's excellent "Rivet Head," a chronicle of life inside a GM plant, will be glad to know conditions -- in Toledo, at least -- have improved dramatically.

An unidentified worker commented that the pleasant temperature in the assembly area is a side benefit of an engineering mandate. As Toledo Transmission maintains a machining tolerance of 2 microns -- a human hair is 100 microns -- for several applications, engineers must establish a mean temperature for part assembly in order to account for the unique expansion and contraction characteristics of different steels and other alloys.

Obviously, when you stage an event like this, you put on your Sunday best, and I am not naive enough to believe that employees arrive each and every day with a with a 10-mile smile. But anger and discontent are hard to disguise on the faces of the proletariat, no matter how many pep talks and free lunches you may offer up as incentives.

GM has invested more than $1.2 billion into Toledo Transmission over the past five years, and the good news just keeps coming: Plant manager Joe Choate says there is a possibility of adding a third shift to the FWD line, and two all-new production lines are on the way. Soon, preparations will begin for a new 6-speed automatic, followed shortly by a new 8-speed automatic rear-wheel-drive transmission that will debut in future GM rear drivers. All told, hundreds of employees could be added to the current workforce of more than 1,800 hourly and salaried employees.

So if you're thinking of applying, just make sure to drive a GM vehicle to the interview. Or you'll have a long walk from the back of the lot to the entrance.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

They Had tours this year of the GM plant in town this summer but I didnt find out till it was too late. I toured it before. They made camshafts and oil pumps at the time. It's fun especially if you've never been in a manufacturing plant before.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

I worked at the G.M. Power plant in Romulus Michigan for 32.5 yrs. I didn't seem that interesting too me. . We manufactured the 4.3 and a V8 at the time ... I used to work overnights from 11 to 7 am. 7 nights a week. When we had open house. For a month before they had people cleaning, painting & doing things that were not always done during a regular work week. Dog & pony show as we called it. But Man the people really liked it. Plus free food. Car show NEW models and employee's Hot Rod show. It's something to see if you get the chance. A tour is nice to see. if your ever in YORK, Pa. GO SEE THE HARLY- DAVIDSON tour at their plant. It;s so damn cool. Plus you can take demo ride on the new bikes during that time. You Pa members should really try and do that. Ok gotta run..........C ya

Old 08-17-2011, 08:43 PM

i am still waiting for the six speed for our monte's i want i demand in a way six speed autos for our monte's. i have a feeling that all us monte owners want the extra gears not for the moded guy's for all of us

Old 08-18-2011, 04:52 AM

Thanks Member's for your posts/comments...
I was just happy to read that GM will be making a 8 Speed for their future RearWheelDrive vehicles

5 Speeds for performance + 3 more with high gears for better MPG's

Rick, I would love to tour any GM Planet, but would really love to go to the Corvette production Plant in Bowling Green, Ky

Old 08-18-2011, 07:02 AM

Below are on my Dream List of places I'd like to `go...
Especially when I order my New ZR-1 & pick it up @ the plant & take it 2 my planet..."It's great that dreams are still `free" I do dream a lot

Has any member's been to below ? If so, post your review & what you thought...Thanks

Bowling Green Assembly Plant - Home of the Corvette

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON>
<CITE>www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com/</CITE> - CachedSimilar
Features tour details and schedules, a history of the plant, vehicle specifications, and links.

<LI id=mbb2 class="g knavi">
Bowling Green Assembly Plant

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON> <CITE>www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com/home.htm</CITE> - CachedSimilar
Web Development by Hitcents.com.

Show more results from bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com

<LI style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 16px" class="g knavi">

National Corvette Museum

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON> <CITE>corvettemuseum.com/</CITE> - CachedSimilar
National Corvette Museum - Located in Bowling Green Kentucky at I-65 exit ... Have a meal in the Corvette Cafe, visit the Library and Archives, ... Corvette Plant Tour Information: The Corvette Plant is located just across the street! ...

<LI id=mbb4 class="g knavi">

Assembly Plant Tours - National Corvette Museum

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON> <CITE>www.corvettemuseum.com/plant_tours/index.shtml</CITE> - CachedSimilar
Every Corvette made is produced in Bowling Green, Kentucky. For guidelines ...