Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you like it or Not ?
Yes, I like it
66.67%
No, I don't like it
33.33%
I will have to see it & drive it b-4 I decide
11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

GM to Break Ground on Chevrolet Colorado Plant in Missouri

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default GM to Break Ground on Chevrolet Colorado Plant in Missouri

GM to Break Ground on Chevrolet Colorado Plant Expansions in Missouri Member's do you like the new 2014 Colorado ?

Written by: Ben Timmins May 21 2012 2:30 PM
<!-- AddThis Button BEGIN --><STYLE> .addthis_overlay_container { z-index:9999; } .addthis_overlay_toolbox { width: 53px !important; } </STYLE>

<!-- AddThis Button END -->

<!--leftside banner-->
<!--leftside ends here -->The 2014 Chevrolet Colorado pickup is growing even closer to reaching North American dealers: General Motors will break ground today on a plant expansion in Wentzville, Missouri, where Chevrolet will manufacture the truck for North American consumption.
We should note first that the pickup in question is the new Chevrolet Colorado, an all-new model that will replace the current model year Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon, which are made in Shreveport, Louisiana. The new Colorado will be based on the international Colorado pickup that was recently released in several other international markets. That truck was designed and engineered primarily by a team from Brazil, and initially released in Thailand.
The latest iteration, on sale outside the United States, has a selection of two Duramax diesel engines: one 2.5-liter I-4 that makes 150 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque, and one 2.8-liter I-4 with 180 horsepower and 346 pound-feet of torque. That power is sent through either a five-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. The truck is available with regular, crew, or extended cabs, and the cabs have anywhere between 16 and 30 cubbies on the interior to store items (depending on the size).
As for the American version, we expect the finished product to be fairly similar to its international twins, but we still have no firm specifications for U.S.-spec content or powertrains. We do know now that the Chevrolet Colorado mid-size truck will only be released after GM introduces its full-size trucks, the Silverado and GMC Sierra, so it won’t arrive in dealers before 2014. We’re not sure exactly what equipment or powertrain options will stay when the truck comes to the United States–the current Colorado/ GMC Canyon doesn’t have a diesel option–and we don’t even know what it’ll be called. While the Thai version is called the Colorado, GM hasn’t confirmed the American truck’s name–in fact, we hear a few South American markets will know the truck as the S-10.
No matter what it’s named (or if it’ll also spawn a GMC sibling), the truck will certainly be made at GM’s plant in Wentzville, which presently builds the GMC Savana and Chevrolet Express full-size vans. The plant is now running on a two-shift schedule (after GM added 400 employees and one shift early this year), and the plant expansion tied to the Colorado program is expected to save or create some 1260 jobs.
Source: Detroit News, GM
The enclosed photos are of the Brazil-market Chevrolet S-10.

<STYLE type=text/css> #gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 25%; } #gallery-1 img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } #gallery-1 .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; } </STYLE><!-- see gallery_shortcode() in wp-includes/media.php --><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL>

<DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL>

Old 05-22-2012, 07:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

I do like that!
Almost bought a colorado, got my 02 monte instead
I love em! def. a fan of the 2014's!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:17 AM

Hi `Devin, thanks for your Post/Words.
I'm just happy that they are building them here in the USA & I hope it helps Missouri & the unemployment rate ...

Old 05-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

A Colorado with an S-10 license plate? I like the idea of the plant being in the U.S. but I'm not a fan of the new Colorado. It looks like they took an SUV, cut it off behind the rear doors and slapped a truck bed on it.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:55 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

That is one ugly truck & ive been by the plant a few times

Old 05-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
A Colorado with an S-10 license plate? I like the idea of the plant being in the U.S. but I'm not a fan of the new Colorado. It looks like they took an SUV, cut it off behind the rear doors and slapped a truck bed on it.
that...^ I dont like it much, just doesn't look right imo. Kinda looks like a malibu pickup truck

Old 05-22-2012, 12:41 PM

Wow, that's ugly! Chevy ruining another good looking vehicle. It looks like an older ford and a Toyota Tundra mated into something nasty. The front is too rounded for my tastes.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I like it. it is a little too rounded but it looks like a lot of the other cars on the road. I would want it without the roof rack and the plastic on the roll bar. Is it just me or are All the vehicles that were "mini" are getting larger and larger.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:04 PM

I'm glad it is being built in the states. I don't like the design at all. I never cared for the look of the bed being integrated into the cab. The nose says Malibu which would have been ok if the whole thing shouted El Camino. This doesn't even come close.