Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Ghost seen

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Default Ghost seen

As some of you may know, I totaled my 1988 Corvette several months ago and am now the proud owner of an 04 supercharged SS. Well my brother called me today from the other side of Atlanta. He was sitting at a traffic light when this 1988 Nassau Blue 88 Corvette pulls up alongside him. Same "W" decal in the rear window..........same American flag decal just below the w........same "corvette" decal across the front windshield and the same stereo head unit. The guy also had the top off even though it was beginning to rain. My top was destroyed when I wrecked. So now I'm thinking..............did the body shop at the chevy dealer REALLY tell allstate the car was totaled?

Old 11-29-2008, 07:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Ghost seen

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!
Make's ya wonder, doesn't it? What did the INSURANCE company do with it? Many cars get rebuilt, 2 into 1. It's HIGHLY possible that it COULD have been your old car and rebuilt.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: RocknSS04

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!
Make's ya wonder, doesn't it? What did the INSURANCE company do with it? Many cars get rebuilt, 2 into 1. It's HIGHLY possible that it COULD have been your old car and rebuilt.
I knew there was an employee at the shop that had his eye on parts for his 87 Vette. I knew it was repairable with enough money. Given the damage to the engine cradle, front shock mounts and rear spindles being broken that it would never drive like it did before. Oh it was my Vette alright. I'm glad it's not sitting in a salvage yard with weeds growing up from the bottom.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:50 AM

Ha! That's funny. I wasn't sure what this thread was going to be about from the title. I would be weirded out to see my totaled ride resurrected as well. But I agree. Better to breath and run free than provide a nest for a rat with a bad attitude.[8D]

Old 11-29-2008, 04:36 PM

working in a body shop i have seen allstate total alot more cars than others. if it is close and we dont call it a total they usually do. but if its the opposite ive seen a few cases were they say its not. but after the body shop offed it to the insurance company it probably went through an auction were it was sold for minimul money to someone who has a rebuild liscence and then sold it.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:15 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow... maybe he saw you'e car in a parking lot or a car show somewhere and was inspired by your modifications to the poitn where he modified his own 'Vette into a clone of yours....

Old 11-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Pretty sure it's his alright. Cars are so easily declared write-offs now, that people buy them from auction as a salvaged vehicle. Fix them and sell them. Hence the reason we have Carfax.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

Wow... maybe he saw you'e car in a parking lot or a car show somewhere and was inspired by your modifications to the poitn where he modified his own 'Vette into a clone of yours....
Well I wouldn't call what I did "modifications" They were more a personalized touch. The mods I did are not visible from the outside ie: Exhaust upgrade and a cold air intake.

ORIGINAL: Taz

Pretty sure it's his alright. Cars are so easily declared write-offs now, that people buy them from auction as a salvaged vehicle. Fix them and sell them. Hence the reason we have Carfax.
There were other distinctive aspects to it that he mentioned and to be sure, if it was me, I could identify the car like Gil Grissom with a dna sample. But hey..........she's on the road and providing a thrill for her new owner.