Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Getting Sweet Watches

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
My favorite watch is a Movado. I couldn't justify the hefty hefty price tag either.

I'm glad Fossil made a knock-off and I was able to get it for 1/12th the price
Fossil does make some awesome watches.
Originally Posted by Mr.Monte
just put an ipod nano on a watch band
I WANT TO DO THAT! I saw it before, and I was like that's awesome! A watch that does everything, People would think your crazy having your headphones plugged into your watch, lol.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is the watch I have always wanted:

And here is the fossil watch that I was able to find for less than $100:

Old 01-30-2012, 04:21 PM

This is my current everyday watch. Orange, because it's the color of leukemia awareness. It was $14 shipped from Ebay.

This is my usual everyday watch. Syncs itself with the atomic clock in Ft. Collins, CO everyday and never needs batteries (recharges from light exposure). I've had it around 10 years.

This is my main dress watch. Same features as my black one with a slightly different display.

I also have a small collection of more Casios that I wore over the years that people on Ebay pay ridiculous prices for now. I never wear these anymore. The most valuable is this one, it goes for hundreds of dollars now, depending on condition. It plays like 13 songs and I thought it was cool as heck when I was a kid. Yeah, it's not worth thousands like a Rolex, but it's impressive for a watch that probably sold for $30 new.

I guess I'm a bit of a watch geek, but not really for the high end, Rolex type watches. I used to be worse when I was younger.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
This is the watch I have always wanted:

Now isn't that more for a "status symbol" than a Rolex seeing as how the hell would you be able to really tell time with it?

I have a small arsenal of jewelry. I have 4 watches. An old yellow gold one that goes with a few old rings (yellow gold was popular years ago). Then I have a cheap Seiko that I wear to work (to get banged up), a Citizen Chrono for everyday and a silver Rolex Day Date for dress.

But to add I also where a curb link bracelet and white gold ring daily (plus my wedding band). What I wear on a daily basis easily totals over 1,000 dollars - that's one thing I will spend a decent amount on - not for status - I just like to wear it.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

It's all about the minimalist design, not really that hard to tell the time with it, because I always basically know what hour it is :p

Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
Now isn't that more for a "status symbol" than a Rolex seeing as how the hell would you be able to really tell time with it?

lol, this is true.

It's like a modern sun-dial, just a guesstimate .
It's 'nice/sleek' looking.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:15 PM

My daily watch is a plastic armitron that came from Walmart for less than 25 bucks. Because of the work I do I don't wear jewelry because of the shock hazard and possibility of getting caught in moving parts.
I like the Rolex Presidential because of the investment and I like the look of it. I could care less what anybody else thinks of it.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:45 PM

They look interesting but I havent worn a watch since high school.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
I like the Rolex Presidential because of the investment and I like the look of it. I could care less what anybody else thinks of it.
And that's all that really matters anyway.
I've heard nobody wears watches anymore because they can check the time on their cell phones or other random electronic devices.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Since I put my watch through a lot of abuse at work, I have a work watch that I don't care if it gets scratched up. Back in 1998, I bought two watches like this one. One is the Kona 98 special edition, that I keep stored away (when I bought it, I thought it would be a collector's item someday -- I was young and stupid) The other one is the same, but just a normal, non-Kona, version. I've been wearing the regular one at work everyday since I bought it. Replaced the wrist strap many times, the silver paint is completely worn off the outer plastic, and the lens is all scratched. But it still works perfectly and keeps great time.

Here's a picture of the Kona version I found on another forum. This is not my arm.

I found one of these new at a local nascar shop. Of course I got it. Never wear it though. Kinda big and clunky, doesn't fit too well, and keeps horrible time. I think I was thinking about a possible theme idea at cruise-ins and shows with my Monte.

Recently got a Casio AQW-100 to wear around everyday.

I can't really do the metal wrist bands on any watch. My wrist seems to be between sizes. When I adjust the links, the wrist band is either too loose or too tight. My work watch is a cheap replacement timex velcro wrist strap. It's not fashionable, it's functional. I don't want to have to worry about my watch while I'm working.

Quick Reply: Getting Sweet Watches