Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

G8 Stock Taillights...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default G8 Stock Taillights...

...are illegal....

It doesn't matter if US Government, the DOT, or any body of government approves of the design, if a Maryland Police Officer says they look/are illegal then the Judge will believe him over all else:

http://jalopnik.com/5589270/maryland...lights-illegal

Wish I can get one for when I go to Ocean City Maryland later this year for the endless summer cruise...lol...
Joe

Old 07-17-2010, 12:34 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Thats ridiculous. Literally Ive never heard of someone being so ignorant and idiotic as that judge, If I was him I would have had to be taken out because Id be yelling so much.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like a cop and judge who obviously hate GM cars. Or they hate anything that THEY think looks rice, or stuff popular with street racers.

Which is what I think this is really about. Law enforcement have a thing for street racers. And anything that is popular with street racers.

Certain years of the Nissan Altima have tail lights that look like aftermarket 6th gen Monte tail lights. I wonder if they have any problems like our friend with the G8.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I just read the entire thread and at the bottom and saw a pic of the guys taillights.

I defense of the cop ( mind you i rarely do ), I have been behind cars with tinted tail lights and have been in near accidents cause i could not see the stop lights in daylight.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Wait a minute. Is that really his car? Because the second paragraph of that article says this:

Forum member "jackalope" at G8Board.com was ticketed by a Maryland officer who claimed he was sporting illegal tail lights. After amassing a healthy amount of evidence proving he hadn't modified his car and it was approved for sale by the Department of Transportation, he went to court confident the ticket would be dismissed, only to find the contrary. We'll let him tell you how it all went down:
Using VHT Nightshades on your tail lights is an obvious modification.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:56 PM

I went to the thread on the G8 board, (link below) and he explains that is his car BUT he has been doing some experimenting with the tails to do the tints, and took that pic to show what they would look like, BUT he put the original manufacturer non tinted tail lights back on the car and had the oem non altered ones on the car at the time of being pulled over:

Original thread:
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32886

latest update:

Geez! I leave for a day and this BLEW up! Ok to set the record straight no my tail lights are no longer tinted, they haven't been for about a week or 2. Thats #1, #2 would be that I took my car to visit the officers Lt. so he could see it in person, he said he took no exception to them and could see the reflectors in the bumper and that the GM lettering is in fact visible on the tail lights. The officer that wrote me the ticket for some reason believes that the whole lower portion of the GT and GXP tails is suppossed to be a reflector, but I showed his Lt. that portion is where our turn signal and back up lamps are. I also showed him my documentaion from Adams Pontiac, Wilkins Pontiac, and Win Kelly all showing the same lights as well as a BUNCH of printed out pics from on line. He kept some print outs to pass around during briefings as to avoid this mistake in the future.

I also went to the MD state polices vehicle inspection division at the main MVA and they looked at them, again they took no exception to them or how I have them done (pics to follow tomorrow when its light out) They also pointed outt he GM # and said thats all I needed to prove they are legal lights.

And again, for the record, my tail lights are no longer tinted as they were in the pics I posted here a few weeks back. I had undertaken a new tail light project and was waiting to be able to detail the whole car BEFORE I showed them off. But a description of them is as follows. I took 2 sets of tail lights completely apart, 1 set I had to destroy the back portion while the 2nd set I had to destroy the lens. I then was able to paint the chrome ring in them black! And they look good! I then left the factory red lens in there and installed the LED lamps behind them giving them a 100% factory apperance. I then masked off and painted some raised portions on the inside of the lens but only where they are black from the factory as some was damaged during disassembly. I then put them back together and masked off the upper most portion of the lens and painted it along with a frame of black around the entire outer edge of the lights. The effect darkens them but without covering the actual parts where any of the lights are. Again, I'll ppost pics tomorrow. But again none of the 3 state troopers in the inspection divsion took exception, none of the AA Co police I've talked with since have either (7) nor the Lt. of the officer that wrote me the ticket.

Sorry for the book but I needed to clear things up. Any questions feel free to ask. And ease up on the cop hating or I'lljust get Rich to lock it up again.
The article I was sited for has ZERO to do with any tinting or painting or altering of the lights. The article of the Maryland Vehicle Law 22-209 given to me by an AA co police Cpl. reads as follows.....

22-210 (b) Rear Lamps. - Rear clearance lamps, identifaction lamps, and reflectors mounted on the rear or sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.

Period, thats it, says nothing about altering or painting or tinting. In fact when I talked to the MD state police vehicle inspection division they said that under the article I was sited that YES I could have tint on them so long as red light is visible when I hit the brakes simply because the reflectors are in the bumper and not part of the light. They went on to say that side reflectors are not mandantory in MD so it wouldn't matter if the car had none.

Tha cop screwed the pooch, thats all. Nothing I did or have done to my cars tail lights is illegal according to MD law.
Joe

Old 07-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Darn it. Joe beat me to it.

I went to G8board.com, did a search, and found the same thread.

Oh well. Next time I need to work faster.

This is the picture of the modded tails he describes creating from taking two sets apart and custom painting the inside.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:25 PM

It's ok, cause I was thinking the same thing when I saw the tinted tails I was like wait a minute that puts a different spin on things, he deserved the ticket...but after reading the thread I was like Oooooo So I was kinda on both boards at the sametime, seeing what you guys was saying I was already copying and paisting...

Hopefully he gets it worked out...like ya's said I'd be LIVID! in court...

Joe

Old 07-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Well, when I read his post (post #92 in the original thread on G8board.com), it sounds like he got things worked out with the police. But only after he removed the completely tinted tail lights.

But here's the way I see it:

Unless you're running with completely stock unmodified tail lights, you're taking a chance that what you have on your car may not be 100% legal. Even lightly tinted stock tails.

Which is why if I do tint my tail lights, I would do it to a second set. So if the cops give me a hard time about them, I can simply swap the un-modded originals back in.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:26 PM

I was thinking about doing tinted tails...I actually didn't care about being hassled by the cops...I already am for other things and they don't bother me for my front covers...BUT here is what I was thinking

If the tails are tinted it would be hard for the person to see the brake lights go on, even lightly tinted during the day would still be hard, not to mention night time...Now if God forbid I ever get slammed in the back...normally it's a clear cut case of the other driving being at fault, but if they take pics and show proof my tails were tinted then they may have a valid reason and suddenly the clear cut case isn't so much...

Not worth that hassle imo...

Joe

Quick Reply: G8 Stock Taillights...