Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

fwd to rwd

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Find yourself a good donor car for the entire underside, including powertrain, such as a rolled over GTO. Most everything you will need will be there, including things like a tunnel shaft, seats, etc.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

this is something i've thought about quite a bit as something to do after my car blows up ( hopefully a LONG time in the future, lol). i figure a 3rd or 4th gen camaro would be the best donor car, because they are everywhere and the 3rd gen cars are very cheap, and have a ton of aftermarket stuffs available for the drivetrain. fuel cell could sit down in the spare tire well, after some cutting of course, and the trans tunnel from the camaro could more than likely be cut out and welded into the monte... the firewall appears to leave plenty of room for a small block, especially if the electric fans are moved to the front of the radiator as pusher fans. someday imma give it a try, on my typical dirt-cheap budget

Old 05-09-2010, 10:52 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

I say make sure the wheelbase and chassis is bigger on the car you get so you can cut it down, and you dont have to add any in.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

idk, longer would be better, im sure an oddball driveshaft would be needed no matter what, but in terms of width i would say its better to have something as close to a monte as possible for a donor... i think the 3rd gen camaros are pretty close if i remeber correctly.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

While the 04-06 GTO's are not as plentiful. The wheel base is only an inch shorter than the Monte. The Camaro's are way shorter, and would require major surgery to either your Monte, or the Camaro's frame.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

well if you do it good luck! i have a 383 sitting round from my race car, & i also have a 406 sitting in the race car now that i wanted to try to put into this monte but my dad said it would be wayy to hard. might as well just buy a 4th gen or 1st gen monte ss to put either one of them in

Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
its been done before the one thats on this forum used c5 vette drive train. and if the fuel tank is an issue run a fuel cell. i think that would be the least of concerns if you had the fabrication skills to do the conversion. the 6th gen video got removed. it caused a commotion with some ppl about the way the car was driven on a open road.
heres the 5th gen one. i believe on the 5th gens they use gbody frame and place the 5th gen body on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJKsDAhKusM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xXgitwtB54

Hey whats up my friend?!!!
Im still living, lol.
Thanks for not letting me get swept under the rug! some ppl just dont know how to have fun and keep their wormholes shut.
Im working on that supercharger deal now... when it makes it to the dyno-tune.... You know Ill show you that video first!!!

Another word of advice to guys who want a rear wheel drive monte carlo..... there are ppl out here who spend thousands in a car, for whatever they want it to be..... a rear wheel drive conversion is no different.. get out there and do it. its ****-loads of fun.
And let me be the one to tell you.. all that roll cages and 2x4 frame brace bull**** is for woosies.... you need to understand that those cars are not made like tin cans.. I personally think they are built better than 1982- 1992 F-bodys.... by a long shot!!!! YEA i grew up in f-bodies..
Thats why i guess i got kinda offended when the women on here were talkin trash about me "driving that way on a public street",.. I did that to prove the car exists, I can pound on it and nothing breaks and that its safe. Oh, I take that back..... I broke the backs off those two rear tires!!!!!! Lol...

Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I totally agree- if you have the skills to either weld on the entire floor pan of a RWD car, or to build a complete tube chassis for the body to sit on- then moving the fuel tank, or replacing it with a relocated cell is just a minor step in the process.

Spoken like a true scholar...

Old 10-07-2010, 06:00 PM

You know, john moss has done the conversion... if someone could find the article, its from a 5th gen... I think a 95 but I think it would work the same... he cut the firewall from a camaro of the same year so the lt1 could fit. As far as the rear axel is concerned, just use a camaro axel and they make extendable driveshafts for demolition purposes, im sure you could get that to work. Or just a oddball like what was said before... I think the article about john moss' conversion said all the parts he used.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl..._v8/index.html

Old 01-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Default rwd monte

check mine out search rwd monte on any thing or detroit street racing on youtube, i built mine in five days on a 500 dollor bet for woodward cruise. iv'e had it now for a few years' it runs 11.96... you should buy it for your motor it would work perfect...

Quick Reply: fwd to rwd