Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

fwd to rwd

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Default fwd to rwd

alright guys i gotta random idea for the future...i have a 383 stroker at home..bad *** motor but no car...so im thinking when i get a place and a garage and money obviously ill sit the monte and work on a long rwd conversion...it would be very difficult but very bad ***...theyre set up to do it tunnel and all but still a project. whatcha think?

Old 05-08-2010, 05:36 PM

tough job, but anything is possible with the right tools, and $$$

Old 05-08-2010, 06:10 PM

i dont know about the tank you may ned to get anouther one and place it in the trunk or behind the drive shaft like the mustang and the 3-4th gan are. that is one of the things are hampering me on doing a conversion like that is is all about the where the tank is going. or where the drive shaft is going you may have to do a custum make a gas tank all in all. with that said it is possible but the gas tank is the problem. but there is a guy here that did a fwd to a rwd monte but i dont know if he still is part of the family

Old 05-08-2010, 06:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I think we have all planned a RWD conversion on our montes at one point or another. And if you were wondering, camaro rims wont fit your car.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I vaguely remember someone mentioning that there is a converted 6th gen out there somewhere. And it took an ungodly amount of work to do it.

If I remeber correctly, I think the guy used the drive train from a donor car that was already RWD. Then went from there.

You may be better off doing that. You'd still have a lot of work to do modifying the body.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 PM

i have it is possible on the 6th and 7th but the problem i have seen is the gas tank the drive shaft will need to go threw it. the mercury cougar that my dad has the drive shaft goes threw the gas tank. what i mean is the tank is shaped for the drive shaft to go threw it as in the tank has a u shap in it for the shaft to pass threw so it wont tuch the tank plus a u hold for the drive shaft if the u joint breaks the u hold catches it. but there will be aa need for three two on the botum one on top. then it will be fine no drive shaft hitting the gas tank that is what i have looked into. also i do have at least three canidates of engines to go in but i need a daily driver not anouther hot rod not yet ;P

Old 05-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think the one I'm talking about modded his 6th gen Monte body to fit onto a 2004 GTO drive train. The wheel base is only about an inch different.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:47 PM

its been done before the one thats on this forum used c5 vette drive train. and if the fuel tank is an issue run a fuel cell. i think that would be the least of concerns if you had the fabrication skills to do the conversion. the 6th gen video got removed. it caused a commotion with some ppl about the way the car was driven on a open road.
heres the 5th gen one. i believe on the 5th gens they use gbody frame and place the 5th gen body on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJKsDAhKusM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xXgitwtB54

Old 05-08-2010, 06:50 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Old 05-08-2010, 09:52 PM

and if the fuel tank is an issue run a fuel cell. i think that would be the least of concerns if you had the fabrication skills to do the conversion.
I totally agree- if you have the skills to either weld on the entire floor pan of a RWD car, or to build a complete tube chassis for the body to sit on- then moving the fuel tank, or replacing it with a relocated cell is just a minor step in the process.

Quick Reply: fwd to rwd