Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Foreign candies, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:57 PM
1 Year Member
Default Foreign candies, anyone?

Tomorrow I have final exams, so today called for a trip to get some seriously delicious goodies. While at the store I came upon my childhood's all-time favorite candies:

As a little kid I would travel to France and see my family, where there would be an endless amount of these cookies with grandma-made hot chocolate. I would get boxes of these for Christmas and my birthday, and well, I grew up on these. Every time I came back to the states it wouldn't be without a few boxes of these (super cheap in France). Needless to say I am a happy camper when I can afford to splurge on these childhood favorites. Unfortunately, these are much smaller in the states than they are in France... in France the cookies would be as big as my palm!

So here I am, finishing a box of Petit Ecolier and wondering... what are yalls favorite foreign candies?

Old 05-06-2012, 09:21 PM

I love any kind of tamarind candy from Mexico. My cousin in Texas (Kingsville, way down by the border) sends me some once or twice a year. It's made from tamarind fruit, and it usually has chili powder added - just a little, but it gives it a unique flavor.

We have those Petit Ecolier cookies here in St. Louis, but I've never seen the candies. If I find them I'll buy them for sure - I LOVE the cookies!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had some candy from the Philippians a few years back that was pretty good. I think it was called Tamarind. My buddy has family there and the sent him them.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 PM

For candy my favorites are coconut and butterscotch. I don't eat many sweets but the ones that I am most tempted by are Almond Joy, Mounds, and Reeses Peanutbutter Cups.

For cookies I can't pass up Vienna Fingers and my grandmother and aunts used to make a cookie out of Chinese noodles and butterscotch. Even today I can't pass them up. Give me a huge glass of cold milk and package of Vienna fingers. In no time at all I have an empty cup and an empty cookie package.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:41 PM

When I worked at EPCOT I enjoyed when I got a work order for the France pavilion. The French pastries were awesome and the French girls were cute too. I understood why my grandfather married himself a French girl. I didn't sample any of the French girls but I didn't turn down the pastry when offered.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:58 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
I didn't sample any of the French girls but I didn't turn down the pastry when offered.

I wonder about your priorities mate :p

On the topic of France, my dad (France-born) taught me at a young age how to make a mean crepe. If you've never tried a real crepe with Nutella, you haven't lived!

I've never tried any of the Mexican stuff listed above, but that reminds me of the Mex soda called Jarritos. Always liked those. Also, I had to google tamarind