General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Foreign Automakers Pass Detroit in Monthly Sales : (

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Foreign Automakers Pass Detroit in Monthly Sales : (

[align=center]

New York Times[/align][/align][/align][align=center]Foreign Automakers Pass Detroit in Monthly Sales [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
David Zalubowski/The Associated Press[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Shoppers look at a 2007 Toyota RAV4 sports-utility vehicle in Aurora, Colo. Foreign auto companies held 51.9 percent of the market in July. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
By MICHELINE MAYNARD, MCF SpaceReporter,and NICK BUNKLEY[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Published: August 2, 2007[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
DETROIT, Aug. 1 — Detroit auto companies’ grip on the American automobile market ended in July, when dismal auto sales gave foreign nameplates the lead for the first time ever, sales reports showed Wednesday.

Skip to next paragraph

Multimedia
Graphic
How the Industry Fared
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Related
House to Leave Fuel Efficiency Out of Debate on Energy Bill (August 2, 2007) [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
The traditional American brands owned by General Motors, the Ford Motor Company and the Chrysler Group held 48.1 percent of the market in July, according to the Autodata Corporation, an industry statistics company in Woodcliff Lake, N.J.
That meant foreign auto companies held 51.9 percent of the market. Their previous high was in June, when they held 49.8 percent of automobile sales.
In July a year ago, Detroit companies held 52 percent of the American market, according to Autodata.
“The world is changing,” said Ron Pinelli, the president of Autodata.
“We were all brought up with the greatness of General Motors, and that these companies were infallible. Times are different today.”
Foreign nameplates have led Detroit in sales of cars since November 2000. But Detroit’s wide lead in sales of light trucks, like pickups, sport utility vehicles and minivans, kept the American companies ahead in the overall market.
The popularity of S.U.V.’s began to plummet in 2005, however, after gasoline prices spiked in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.
This year, with gasoline above $3 a gallon in many parts of the country, Detroit’s big pickup sales have fallen as well, helping the foreign companies squeak ahead in total sales.
John Casesa, an industry analyst with the Casesa Shapiro Group, said: “It adds urgency to what is already an extremely fragile situation in Detroit.”[X(][:@][X(][:@]
Foreign brands’ control came in a month when even the major Japanese companies, the [URL=http://www.nytimes.com/mem/MWredirect.h

Old 08-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Default RE: Foreign Automakers Pass Detroit in Monthly Sales : (

Come'on people we live in the USA. Buy cars that were originated in the USA.
Like a Chevy!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:57 PM

Is this really any surprise?

Old 08-02-2007, 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: cain45

Is this really any surprise?
`James, No it's not a surprise, but it sure is very `Sad [X(]
I know there are many reasons, that the US Automaker's are falling
behind it's competition, but I hope soon that our country get's a
Wake Up Call.
We snooze, we lose : (
Lead, follow,or you will be knocked outa the way : (
`Space

Old 08-02-2007, 03:22 PM

You're very right Space, it is really sad. Here we are exporting jobs to foreign countries and claiming made in the USA and the actual foreign companies are coming here with factories and beating us at our own game. When will America wake up and become more competitive?! Time will tell.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:47 PM

Seems like Japan is taking over the world slowly but steadily. So much for defeating them in WW2.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:45 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

My aunt recently bought a Japanesse car, one of them Camrys'... I was in Florida when my Aunt Denise brought it over for my grandfather, who i was visiting with, to see it for the first time... upon looking at it, he said "the last time i was this close to a japannesse machine, it was shooting at me!"

I rolled all over that Florida phosphate sand laughing.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:08 AM

First time in 102 years: Big 3 lose majority market share to imports
Posted Aug 7, 2007 5:37PM by John Neff
Filed under: Earnings/Financials

As we reported in our By the Numbers post earlier today, last month nearly every automaker, import and domestics alike, had a tough time selling cars. The domestics, including General Motors, Ford Motor Co. and the Chrysler Group., had it tougher, however, and for the first time in the automotive industry's 102-year history, the Big 3's market share fell below that of the imported brands combined. The official tally according to Automotive News was 629,569 units sold by the Big 3 and 679,523 units sold by the imports. That works out to a 48.6% market share for the domestics and a 51.4% share for the imports.

Shall we all cry in our travel mugs that our beloved automakers from downtown Detroit, Dearborn and Auburn Hills have lost their leading role in the U.S. market? Hardly, we say. All three domestic heavyweights have realized that bouncing back from their financial doldrums requires ditching their excess and paring down to the essentials. With fleet sales drastically reduced and resources diverted to programs that will bear fruit a few years out, we all know their sales are going to fall, in some cases drastically. Nevertheless, their loss in size and sales will allow each to focus on product more in an environment where what's on the sales floor is all that matters.

And don't fret, the Big 3 still retain majority market share in the U.S. year-to-date. This was just one bad month of sales. One really bad month.

[Source: Automotive News]
[/align]