Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you Like it ?
Yes, I like it 4-Sure
10.00%
No Way
0%
I'd rather have a ZL`1 Camaro
60.00%
I can' afford either, but it's a good `Dream : )
30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

-Ford BOSS 302 Laguna Seca - Camaro ZL`1 -

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:08 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default -Ford BOSS 302 Laguna Seca - Camaro ZL`1 -

2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca - Road Test
Member's do you like it ?

That splitter and war paint ain't just for show, this 444-bhp pony dances with Porsches.

By Sam Mitani / Photos by Marc Urbano
March 11, 2011

Slideshow >>
Video >>

Track Video: 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca >>
Eye Candy: 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca >>

With sincere apologies to Chevrolet and Dodge aficionados across the country, the undisputed boss of the pony car ranks is the Ford Mustang. End of discussion. When you consider that the Mustang created the genre in 1964 and has been the only one continuously produced since its inception—something the Camaro and Challenger can’t claim—it’s hard to make a case for anything else. Through the years, Ford has produced many high-performance versions of the Mustang, including the Cobra, Bullitt and Mach 1, but those of us at least 30 years old know that the original factory-tuned high-performance Mustang was the aptly named Boss 302, produced in 1969 in conjunction with the race car that competed in the SCCA Trans-Am series.
The production run of the Boss 302 was short, lasting only a couple of years, but after winning the 1970 Trans-Am championship, it became a national icon. Now 42 years later, the folks at Ford have decided to resurrect the nameplate, creating the most agile Mustang ever, one that can go head to head with the best sports cars in the world, and that includes the likes of the BMW M3 and Porsche 911.
Video window may take a few moments to load... The new super Mustang is immediately recognizable as a Boss thanks to the “C” stripe running across the side body panels (just like the original car designed by Larry Shinoda). Our test car, the Boss 302 with the Laguna Seca package, takes things a few steps further, making it a virtual race car for the street. The first thing to catch your eye is a massive front splitter; other visual cues include a rear wing and custom red-and-black paint job (it’s also available in silver and red) that make it look like a serious racer, but the Laguna Seca is street legal…not that it’s entirely happy cruising leisurely on public roads.
Fire up the car’s 5.0-liter 302-cu.-in. engine and you immediately realize that this isn’t your everyday Ford V-8. The powerplant has been rebuilt and retuned to produce 444 bhp at 7400 rpm and 380 lb.-ft. of torque at 4500 rpm. Ford’s engineering team took the Mustang GT’s V-8 and added a new intake system with “runners in the box” as well as high-lift cams, forged pistons, sodium-filled valves, stronger valve springs, beefier rods and an oil cooler to get the extra 32 bhp. In fact, this engine is identical to the one in the 302R race car that’s currently contesting in the Rolex Grand-Am series. The power is transferred to the rear tires via a 6-speed manual gearbox.
As you go hard on the throttle, the surrounding area fills with a sinister growl resonating from the quad exhaust system that has two pipes coming out the back and two out the sides of the car.

For our evaluation purposes on the track, we used the “TracKey,” a special key that maximizes performance and deletes all creature comforts (more on this later). At idle the cabin shakes with the rup-rup-rup of a purpose-built race car. Using the Boss’s launch control system, we unleashed its fury around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca (this is where the original Boss 302 race car won its first race of the 1970 championship season). The throws of the shifter are a bit long, but the gates are well defined, and each up- and downshift is met with a reassuring snick.
Once off the line, you’ll need to tighten your grip on the Alcantara-covered steering wheel because the Boss 302 accelerates with zeal, pressing your back into the Recaro seats all the way to its 7500-rpm redline. It sprints from 0 to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds and to the quarter-mile mark in 12.3, smoking the Mustang GT’s times of 4.6 and 13.2, respectively. Power isn’t the only factor in play here, as Ford’s chassis engineers made sure that this Mustang could take corners with the best of them.
With the Laguna Seca package, the rear seats have been replaced by a sturdy brace that couples the structure between the rear wheels. The suspension—MacPherson struts up front and a 3-link live axle in back—has been totally retuned. Despite the use of a live rear axle, the Boss 302’s handling balance is exceptionally crisp and sharp, thanks in part to a Torsen limited-slip differential (standard on the Laguna Seca package) and sticky R-compound Pirelli tires. Going into Turns 2 and 11 at Laguna Seca, where most production cars exhibit significant doses of understeer, the Boss 302 remains surprisingly neutral. It displays a fair amount of body roll in the tighter turns, but the car will stay composed on the driving line. The rear end will come out if you overcook it into a corner, but unless you do something drastically wrong, it won’t snap all the way around. The damping can be adjusted to five different levels, and I lapped with the front and rear on 5, the stiffest setting. The car’s neck-wrenching 1.02g on the skidpad and 74.0-mph romp through the slalom make the Boss 302 the best-handling production Mustang ever, but the most impressive thing about it was its durability—it lapped Laguna Seca for two straight days needing only a few fuel stops and tire changes. Most other production cars wouldn’t have lasted five laps. And oh yeah, it laid down a lap time of 1:39.5 sec., which should make Porsche 911 GT3 and Nissan GT-R drivers take notice.

“We were adamant about testing the car’s durability. The Boss 302 is a track car, and we wanted to make sure it could handle the rigors of extended on-the-limit driving. In testing, we actually ran it at or near the limit for 12 straight hours, so today was a piece of cake for this car,” Tom Barnes, vehicle engineering manager said.
On the open road, it’s best to leave the TracKey at home. So what is the TracKey, you ask? It’s an additional ignition key, distinguished by a special red logo, that activates the control module software that’s installed by the dealer after taking delivery of your car. When starting the engine, this key adjusts variable cam timing, spark maps, engine braking, fuel control and about 400 other performance parameters to provide a complete race car calibration. Turn the ignition on with the standard key, and the Boss 302 comes to life in “normal” mode. In this setting, ride quality is relatively smooth, and the cabin doesn’t rumble with the vibration of the engine. Although a long drive over bumpy roads can get tiresome, my 6-hour trek from Monterey, California, down south to Orange County was achieved pain-free. My only complaint was the steering wheel; I wish it were a bit smaller because it kept catching my thighs every time I jumped in or out.
The Boss 302 Mustang will be available this spring at Ford dealerships with a price tag of $40,145 for the base car and $47,140 for the Laguna Seca, a bargain when you consider its level of performance. Only 750 Laguna Secas will be built, so if you want this boss of bosses, better hurry and get your order in now because it’s probably going to be a classic someday. On public roads or on a racetrack, your Boss will gain everyone’s respect.

Downloads: Ford Mustang »

» Overview» Photos & 360° View» Specs» Prices w/Options
Everyman's Boss

Despite not having the race-car-inspired looks of the Laguna Seca, the base Boss 302 is potent nonetheless. You get the same engine mated to the same gearbox, only the base Boss 302’s comes standard with a 3.73:1 final drive; the Torsen limited-slip differential is offered as an option. The base car has a quieter ride, thanks in part to the standard Pirelli P Zero tires that provide a good balance of performance and comfort, and you can carry two more people than the Laguna Seca because the rear seats are left intact. And the best thing about the base car? Its production isn’t limited, so you’ll have plenty of time to consider buying one.

Pages: 1 Photos

Last edited by Space; 03-30-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 AM

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Official Photos and Info - Auto Shows

Chevy reclaims the historic ZL1 nameplate and screws it to a 550-plus-hp GT500 hunter.

BY JON YANCA, PHOTOGRAPHY BY CHRIS DOANE FOR BRENDA PRIDDY & CO., PATRICK M. HOEY, AND THE MANUFACTURER
February 2011

Pages: 1 Photos

Visit Our Buyer's Guide »

Chevrolet Camaro
News & Reviews

Top Competitors

It’s an epic, decades-long battle waged in showrooms, at the race track, at stoplights, and in internet forums. Chevrolet versus Ford, Camaro versus Mustang. Commencing in the mid-’60s, the clash has been marked by tit-for-tat product introductions, as each brand seeks to match its competitor in every conceivable pony-car niche. Currently, the cars face off in the V-6, V-8, and droptop arenas, but the latest Camaro has ceded the high-performance crown to the Mustang and the brutal, 550-horse Shelby GT500. That ends now.
Welcome the reborn Camaro ZL1.
Open Secrets are Hard to Keep
It’s been a bit of an open secret that GM was working on a high-po Camaro to slot above the 426-hp SS model. Spy photos revealed the car’s 6.2-liter supercharged V-8, and most assumed that car would wear the storied Z28 badge. But Chevy’s product planners had something different in mind, and we now know the car will wear the reclaimed ZL1 moniker. (SLP Performance previously held the rights to the historic alphanumerics.)

A quick look back is in order. The 1969 Camaro ZL-1 was one of the ***-kickingest machines to ever roll out of Detroit. Dressed up in nothing fancier than base Camaro trim—including dog-dish hubcaps—that original ZL-1 looked like a measly six-cylinder wimp. Without even an engine-designation badge, its only real giveaway was the factory-installed cowl-induction hood. (Well, until you started it up and brought the aluminum big-block 427 to life.) The car was only available via Central Office Production Order (COPO), which installed the 427 option in the Camaro shell. Just 69 copies were built, and the ZL-1’s official 430-horse output figure was grossly underrated, mainly for insurance purposes. It was a quarter-mile king, and is among the quickest factory-built and street-legal beasts ever created.
Back in the present, the 2012 ZL1 aims to grow the legend, and it comes well prepared with a supercharged LSA V-8, borrowed from the Cadillac CTS-V. Producing an estimated 550 hp—a figure on par with the actual output of the original—and 550 lb-ft of torque from its force-fed 6.2 liters, this burly Camaro is seemingly built to terrorize drag strips rather than road courses, so perhaps ZL1 is more appropriate than Z28. (The Z28 was a racer, after all, competing and winning in Trans-Am.) A short-throw, six-speed Tremec manual is the only transmission.

Aiding driveline longevity and pavement adhesion are a beefed-up driveshaft and differential with asymmetrical half-shafts; the latter twist fat, 305-width ZL1-specific Goodyear Supercar F1 gumballs. The 20-inch forged wheels are 10 inches wide in the front and 11 in the rear, but the overall wheel-and-tire package is 22 pounds lighter than the Camaro SS's narrower 20-inch setup. We (conservatively) estimate the ZL1 will cover the 0-to-60-mph run in four seconds flat, while 0 to 100 mph should be accomplished in 9.9 seconds and the quarter-mile in 12.5. Monstrous two-piece Brembo rotors—measuring 14.6 inches in the front and 14.4 in the rear, and squeezed by six- and four-piston calipers—are the centerpieces of the braking system. The latest adaptive magnetorheological shocks sit at all four corners, and drivers can choose between Tour and Sport settings. The ZL1 also marks the introduction of a new electric power-steering system. Weight is said to be about the same as the Camaro SS's—the stronger driveline added weight, but some was pulled out with stuff like the wheels and hood, so it's roughly a wash—which puts this top-spec Camaro at 3900 pounds or so.
Many More Pieces of Flair
While the sleeper look of the original was awesome, the new ZL1 will be highly differentiated from its lesser kin. Up front, the lower fascia is dotted with brake-cooling ducts and four fog lights, and has a large splitter and a wide-mouth intake. The domed hood is aluminum with a louvered carbon-fiber center section that Chevy says helps downforce, while the rear end gets a larger integrated decklid spoiler and quad exhaust finishers. The exhaust system houses an actuated flap, as on the Corvette, that opens at higher engine speeds to both reduce back pressure and deliver a blood-boiling growl.

The cabin gets a few modest upgrades, including alloy pedal covers, a head-up display, and emblems for the headrests and door sills. Sueded material is applied to the shifter, the new flat-bottomed steering wheel, and the front-seat inserts. The auxiliary console gauges are standard on the ZL1, and feature a boost readout that we wouldn't recommend actually looking at while behind the wheel—keep your eyes on the road, please.
We're told the ZL1 will start around $47K, although Chevy could revise the pricing upward later, and it's unknown if the model will get hit with a gas-guzzler penalty. Unfortunately, we’re going to have to wait to get our hands on this brute, as it doesn't go on sale until February of 2012. So the GT500, which costs $49,495, will gallop on unchallenged for a little longer. And what about the more-racetrack-oriented Mustang Boss 302? Maybe the Z28 will find a place in Chevy’s modern lineup after all . . .

Related Stories »

1 | 2 | Next

Last edited by Space; 03-30-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I do like the Boss Mustang, I actually watched a special about the Leguna Seca testing on Speed. I do NOT like that design though, with the black and red all over. I think it looks like a high school kid doing a "custom" job on a car.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:12 AM

Hi `Mike, yes I agree, I don't like the graphic's 4-Sure..., but I think it would be better all BLACK : )...For the Money $, I'd rather have a ZL`1 Camaro....They both are 2 expensive for me unless I hit the "Lotto"

Last edited by Space; 03-30-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Space, when you say the LS1 are you referring to the new 2012 Camaro ZL1?

The engine code for that is the LSA, the LS1 is in 98-2002 Camaros/Trans-Ams, 97-04 Corvettes, and 04 GTO

Old 03-30-2011, 07:39 AM

Mod `Mike, thanks much for catching my mistake
My Bad 4-Sure....No Excuse...I will correct & put myself in TIME OUT....I do need 2 reCharge....

I was going to say that I did it just 2 see `if anyone caught the mistake, but that would be a `lie Thanks

Last edited by Space; 03-30-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Ok. I like the body style on the Mustang. But way over the top with all that Red. The Camero. Like the body style. Not a lot of us will be able to afford anyone of these with the BIGGER Motors. But it's nice to Dream. I agree with CHibi on who painted that Mustang. We can do without all that red on the wheels , roof rear spoiler !!! TONE IT DOWN a bit!

Old 03-30-2011, 07:26 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I actually own that Boss Mustang documentary (my fiance picked it up when he was at Barrett Jackson in Jan) and I'm very impressed with the car. I'm not a big fan of the black/red color combo, but at the end of the show there was this gold Boss driving and I would so want that car!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
I actually own that Boss Mustang documentary (my fiance picked it up when he was at Barrett Jackson in Jan) and I'm very impressed with the car. I'm not a big fan of the black/red color combo, but at the end of the show there was this gold Boss driving and I would so want that car!
Hi `Amy, I looked 4 a Gold one & couldn't find, but I'll keep look'in : ) I like the Shelby 500 more : )

2010 Chevy Corvette Grand Sport vs. 2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 - Comparison Tests

Street cars named desire: Two gotta-have-it cars with similar credentials and dissimilar goals.
2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 vs. 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Comparison Tests

Double Jeopardy: A classic confrontation that never seems to get old.