Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: If you could afford one, which One would you want ?
Shelby Mustang
33.33%
Camaro ZL-1
66.67%
No, I'll post what I'd want instead for the same $'s as above.
0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Ford’s Mustang goes Camaro ZL1-hunting at the Nürburgring.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Ford’s Mustang goes Camaro ZL1-hunting at the Nürburgring.

Caught Testing: 2012 Ford Mustang Shelby GT600 - Spy Shots

Ford’s Mustang goes Camaro ZL1-hunting at the Nürburgring.

By Nick Kurczewski / Photos copyright KGP Photography
June 9, 2011

Slideshow >>
Best Spy Shots >><!-- future-cars/spy-photos/gallery -->

<!--/photos-video-wrapper-->
<!-- /Main photo wrapper --><!-- test output end: --><!-- the article, at a glance, downloads, top competitors, from buying guide --><!-- left column -->The stakes keep getting higher—and the performance wilder—in the ongoing muscle car battle between Ford and Chevrolet. The rivalry has now gone international, as Mustang Shelby GT500 prototypes have been photographed circulating the world famous Nürburgring. It would not surprise us to learn that Ford’s track technicians are keen to set some sort of record they prepare the Mustang to fend off a future attack from the 2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1.
The red prototype pictured here has cutaway grille openings, possibly for easier access to engine parts or for improved cooling. The foglamps also appear to be closed off. Perhaps Ford’s engineers were simply protecting the lenses with some rubber covers? Or maybe this is a prelude to some bigger and badder Shelby model (a GT600?), which would need big brake-cooling ducts? We’re rooting for the latter option.

Independently Minded
Of course, everyone wants to know what’s lurking under the hood. The rumor mill is swirling about talk of a twin-turbo V-8, opposed to the 550-bhp 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 engine presently found in the 2011 GT500. Our guess is something a little less radical, though no less capable of bumping the Camaro ZL1 (which goes on sale early next year, with an identical 550 bhp) from its performance perch. A larger displacement V-8, or additional supercharger trickery, both seem possible.
Take a very close look at those rear wheels and, from certain angles, they appear to have a mind of their own. We mean this as a compliment. That’s because in the land of Mustang, every current model continues to have a live rear axle. So does this big, bad new Mustang have independent rear suspension? It sure looks that way, based on the apparent wheel angles. Independent rear suspension does seem long overdue, and it would only make sense for the next Ford Mustang to take the fight to the competition on equal footing—if you don’t mind the pun.

Member's, post your thoughts/opinions..

Which one is going to be the best ? Camaro ZL-1 or the Shelby Mustang ? ?

Which one would you want ? Post & let us know `ok

Old 06-30-2011, 06:11 AM
Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

What is the price of these?

Honestly I'd Rather have

A Walkinshaw R8 Commodore over these, or a Maloo and last but not least a New Charger SRT-8

Joe

Old 06-30-2011, 07:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I love the new Camaros, so it's an easy one for me :P

I am enjoying the constant back and forth battle between Mustang and Camaro, I just hate the price points they are hitting!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 AM

If they are gonna put the fastest Camaro against the Mustang then Ford might as well use their fastest Mustang.... 2012 Shelby GT500 Super Snake, pushing 800hp.... The Camaro wouldn't stand a chance.. Even taking the Camaro SS against the Mustang GT, the Mustang would still win.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by jwjones
If they are gonna put the fastest Camaro against the Mustang then Ford might as well use their fastest Mustang.... 2012 Shelby GT500 Super Snake, pushing 800hp.... The Camaro wouldn't stand a chance.. Even taking the Camaro SS against the Mustang GT, the Mustang would still win.

Hi J.W., time will tell who will have the fastest & best car
I'm just happy that they are still producing them in these difficult economic times 4-Sure.

Below is a bonus & I hope that they do it (it will be the only way I will ever get to drive one & that is to rent a Muscle Car * My grandfather rented a 66 Shelby back in the day : )
Would you consider renting one of the below ?
- Joe, I don't know the cost, but I'm sure they will be over $50K+ & way outa my budget 4-Real~>Sure...
Like your alternate choices : )
==============================================
Shelby American Considers Bringing Back Rent-a-Racer Mustangs

By Greg Migliore

Posted by AutoWeek Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:33:21 AM

Shelby American is considering resurrecting its “rent-a-racer” program that offers upgraded Mustang GTs for enthusiast-oriented consumers, AutoWeek has learned.

Likely timed to mark the storied company's 50th anniversary, the program could launch as early as next spring. The cars would be offered in two traditional configurations: black and gold and white and gold. Power would come from the naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V8, which makes 412 hp in the 2012 Mustang GT, and an automatic transmission.

The rental racers would continue the lineage of street-legal Shelbys available for short stints.

In 1966, the company teamed with Hertz to produce 1,000 copies of the performance Mustang. Forty years later, the program came back, and the GT-H was popular with enthusiasts despite limited availability. The Shelby GT-H cars were later offered for sale.<!--EndofExcerptMarker-->

Shelby hasn't finalized the potential 2012 program and is gauging interest. Hertz has been Shelby's historic partner for the rent-a-racer ventures. Hertz offers the Mustang GT in premium packaging for rental as part of it “Adrenaline” collection, but the Shelby hasn't been available recently.

In addition to the eye-catching livery, Shelby also usually goosed the Mustangs with a bit of extra horsepower and body treatments. Look for similar elements if this modern program comes to fruition.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

Originally Posted by jwjones
Small difference, Chevrolet/GM Make the power themselves, meaning they don't have to put anyone elses names on it. It is a Chevrolet Camaro ZR1

Ford needs to put the Shelby name on it to be that fast with the power upgrades.

If you add in companies like Lingenfelter, SLP, Callaway And even SMS (Saleen) you will find the Camaro can have equal numbers.

Not to go tit-for-tat but any car can be made faster by an outside company

Joe

Old 06-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I voted... I don't think I have to tell anyone what for.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:46 AM

Hi `Joe, well said & `Amen
It just takes Skill & $'s & Chevy has some super aftermarket companies to produce style & power 4-Sure...

Again, I am just happy & thankful that they are still making them for those that are in the position to purchase...

For me it's still a dream, but I'm working on my dreams
Oh, `Dub's (Member SoloSlayer just got a SRT-8 & I waiting for a update in his thread : )...

p.s. `Ted, I knew you chose the ZL-1 : ) LOL