Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Flowmaster Outlaw Review (Long thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:21 PM
1 Year Member
Default Flowmaster Outlaw Review (Long thread)

Hey guys so I decided I would go ahead and do a full on review of my new Axle Backs. I haven't had them on for to long, I think it's been like a week now, but since I have had them on I have done a ton of driving. I normally fill my tank up once a week. I have filled my tank up 3 times since I have put them on if that tells you anything. In a week I have put about 600 miles on my car which is about what I did from when I got my car to when I put them on which was about a month and a half. So needless to say I have been doing a lot of driving.

Ok so first things first, the fit and finish of these for me personally was horrible. I think someone had messed with the exhaust on the car at one point or another because for me the hangers on the Flowmasters were about 2 inches off where they should have been on the driver side, so I had to make a new hanger holder to make it work which wasn't to bad. The other side we were able to make work but it was still off a little bit. I think normally on a car that hasn't been messed with or anything like that the fit would have been a million times better. We ended up getting it pretty much perfect. Here are some pics that show the fit now that they are on the car and everything. I think it's about as perfect as it can get.

Name:  001_zps8e8d7080.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  002_zps1d58f7a6.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  006_zps795581fc.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  53.2 KB

Name:  007_zps525589e5.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  005_zpscfac9948.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  81.9 KB

You can see the hanger holder we made here

Overall look wise I think turned out really really good. The massive 4" tips set the rear end off. One nice thing I like about this car vs my Monte is with DOD it would occasionally burn oil so I had to clean my tips probably twice a week. I have yet to really clean these. They will get washed with the rest of the car but I have really had any black "soot" on these. They stay really clean which is nice.

Now as far as sound goes, when I first put them on they were pretty loud. To the point where I was kind of afraid to drive around cops. Even though it looked like they could car less when I did drive by them. I even had a cop compliment me on the sound at a red light which I thought was pretty cool. Since then they have "mellowed" out just a bit. They are still really loud but you can tell they are slightly more tame. As far as the sound it's self goes, since that was more about volume, it's a good sound. It's nice and deep and burbly and bubbly like a lot of older cars sounded like. Flowmaster is really good at giving that old school muscle car sound which is what I personally wanted.

A lot of people will go with Borla ataks, Borla Stingers, Corsa Xtremes, etc. and go with that more European V8 sound which sounds great don't get me wrong. But I wanted to have that old school muscle car sound. Which you do get with the Outlaws and really any Flowmaster exhaust. But as I drove with these more and more they have almost a mix of the 2 but at the same time you don't. When driving around normally you really get that old school burble, but when you get on you almost get like an old school sound with a hint of European sound. It's kind of a sound all it's own and it's really good. There is a tiny bit of drone when at 2000RPM but it's not bad at all. Anything below that and you have absolutely no drone. Here is a video that showcases how it sound in the car when driving. I apologize if the video part is bad I basically just had to hold my camera, but it's more about the audio anyway.

Overall I am really happy with everything, the looks are great and the sound is great as well. Hopefully this helps anyone who may get a Mustang even though I know most people hear probably won't lol. Anyway, thanks for reading the review. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by iMuf; 04-24-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: //
Old 04-25-2014, 12:26 AM

Damn those sound awesome! Really tempting to throw those on my '06 Monte! Thanks for sharing, nice work. You're right about the muscle car sound, love that burbling when you let off on the gas.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:08 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by phuntley
Damn those sound awesome! Really tempting to throw those on my '06 Monte! Thanks for sharing, nice work. You're right about the muscle car sound, love that burbling when you let off on the gas.
I think they would sound great on the Monte. The only thing I have noticed with LS engines is that they aren't quite as deep sounding. So not sure how these would sound. These were axle backs that are made for the mustang but I believe you can buy just outlaw series mufflers without the clamps, tips, etc. and then have them welded in. Just be ready if you do because they are loud lol