Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Five Offbeat Cars Coming in 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile Five Offbeat Cars Coming in 2011

Automotive Oddities: Five Offbeat Cars Coming in 2011 for member's from `Space

By Matthew de Paula, Auto Insider

Strange experiments are happening in the auto industry.

Companies are cross-pollinating different types of vehicles to create new breeds, and the results are sometimes perplexing.

For example, Nissan has turned its pudgy Murano into a convertible. Meanwhile, Range Rover is trying to show some concern for the environment by offering its smallest, most car-like SUV ever, the Evoque.

Both the Murano and Evoque are considered “crossovers,” which by definition are a mixed bag to begin with: They blend attributes of SUVs, wagons and minivans. So it seems these new variations represent the next level of crossing over.

The line between different kinds of cars is also getting hazier, driven in part by a focus on making smaller cars more appealing. Both Hyundai and Scion are launching compact cars that stray from the norm in terms of seating and overall packaging. The intention is to make them more practical and thus appeal to a wider audience.

Of the new vehicles coming in 2011, here are five that don’t quite fit typical moulds.

Ferrari FF
Graft the rear end of a station wagon onto a sports car and you get the Ferrari FF.

Ferrari FF (Courtesy Ferrari)

The FF is supposed to be Ferrari’s most practical model, a supercar the whole family can enjoy. It has four seats and a decently sized trunk, which is why the rear end is designed the way it is.

It will also be the first Ferrari ever to have all-wheel drive. The name “FF” is an acronym that stands for “four seats” and “four-wheel drive.” This car replaces the 612 Scaglietti, which until it ceased production at the end of 2010 was Ferrari’s largest model and the only one with a back seat.

The Ferrari FF’s V12 engine puts out 660 horespower and is good for 0 to 62 mph in 3.7 seconds, Ferrari says.

Actually, the FF’s body style is not without precedent — it’s just obscure. Lamborghini’s Espada from the late 1960s and ’70s had a roof that stretched back like a wagon’s to accommodate a rear seat and trunk. A more recent example is the BMW Z3 Coupe, which — unlike the Ferrari and Lambo — only had two seats.

Here’s a piece of trivia: This type of sporty, stubby wagon is called a “shooting brake” in Europe.

Hyundai Veloster

Hyundai wants this little hatchback to be as cool as a Mini Cooper but more affordable and practical.

Hyundai Veloster (Courtesy Hyundai)

While styling and cool factor are subjective, it does have a larger interior and trunk than the Mini.

What makes it odd is that it has one door on the driver side and two doors on the passenger side. The idea was to keep the shape of a sporty two-door, but to add a rear door on the passenger side for easier access to the back seat.

Hyundai used motorcycles as a design inspiration: The car’s wraparound windshield resembles a helmet visor, and the center console is in the shape of a motorcycle’s gas tank.

A 138-hp four-cylinder engine should make the lightweight Veloster pretty peppy. Hyundai expects it to get 40 mpg on the highway. The car goes on sale this summer.

Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet

This bulky convertible SUV-type thing comes across much better in person than in photos. It will appeal to yuppies who like drop-tops but don’t care for sports cars and the compromises they bring in comfort and convenience.

Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet (Courtesy Nissan)

Nissan is setting modest sales targets for the Murano CrossCabriolet, which shows the company is being realistic about its potential.

Several of the journalists who saw the Murano CrossCabriolet on display at an event in December thought Nissan was crazy for creating it. One even said he wouldn’t be caught behind the wheel and so wouldn’t be test driving it. A Nissan rep at the same event said consumers have responded positively to it.

Say what you will of the design, in person the car looks and feels high end, with a well appointed interior and power-folding fabric top. The trunk and back seat had to be shrunk, and the rear doors are gone to accommodate the convertible roof. Other than that, the specs are similar to a regular Murano.

Range Rover Evoque Coupe

The Evoque is Range Rover’s first vehicle aimed at environmentally conscious young drivers; and for a company that has only ever built large, expensive, gas-guzzling SUVs with go-anywhere capability, it’s a huge deal.

Range Rover Evoque Coupe (Courtesy Land Rover)

In fact, the only reason (or at least the main reason) the Evoque isn’t a car, is because Range Rover refuses to build anything but SUVs for fear of tainting its image. Rightly so.

The Evoque is Range Rover’s smallest, lightest SUV ever. Depending on how it’s configured, it can weigh up to 728 pounds less than the U.S. version of the Land Rover LR2, currently the company’s smallest SUV. Plastic front fenders and an aluminum hood and roof help keep weight down. Opting for front-wheel drive — a first on a Range Rover, and something that would’ve been unthinkable five years ago — instead of the standard four-wheel drive saves 165 pounds.

Its silhouette and overall styling are intentionally car-like — particularly on the two-door model — and much sleeker than the company’s blocky SUVs. The Evoque has been tuned to drive like a sporty luxury sedan on the road. Its four-cylinder engine is small for a Range Rover, so it’s turbocharged to produce a lot of power for its size (240 hp).

Four-door and two-door versions of the Evoque go on sale this fall. Land Rover expects “well equipped” models to sell for around $45,000.

Scion iQ

The Scion iQ is like a mash-up between a Scion xD and a Smart Fortwo.

Scion iQ (Courtesy Toyota`Space Project)

...(I never had any toy cars when I was little, but maybe I can have one as an Adult: )
From the outside, it appears to be a two seater, but there’s actually room in back for one adult and a child. Scion calls it “3 + 1” seating.

That’s because the rear seats aren’t symmetrical — the one on the right is larger than the one on the left. The idea is that the front occupant can move forward to make more room for an adult in back, while a truncated seat behind the driver can accommodate a kid.

It’s a creative use of `space and the sort of thing we’re probably going to see more of as cars inevitably get smaller.

The Scion iQ is powered by a tiny four-cylinder engine that produces around 900 hp. As if to preempt any questions around safety, Scion is touting 10 airbags on the iQ, including one that covers the rear window, which the company says is a first.

Scion’s parent company Toyota already sells the iQ in other markets. It goes on sale in the United States this spring.

Click here to see more about the Strange Cars Coming In 2011

Last edited by Space; 02-18-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow. At first glance I thought that Range Rover looked like an over sized Mini Cooper.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
Wow. At first glance I thought that Range Rover looked like an over sized Mini Cooper.

LOL, I like both of them : ) The mini 2 me is a human GoKart 4 the Roads : )
The Scion iQ is a alternative to a small motorcyle with a lot of air bags : ) I think it's a cute toy 4 driving on the sidewalks or Golf Courses ~>LOL, but I'd drive one `if someone gave me One
I just posted the above for member's, so we know what's out there when we run in2 them : )

Old 02-18-2011, 08:20 AM

Repost KJ,
I like the Volvo P1800...I seen one @ a show & it was cool...
I also like the VW Scirocco R below in the same/similar style

The reports states that they handle great & R powerful...: )

The most powerful version of the Scirocco comes with a direct injection engine capable of delivering 2 liters 265 hp. It accelerates from 0-100 km / h in 6.4 seconds and reaches 250 km / h top speed.

Last edited by Space; 02-18-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:50 AM

Space...Looks like they are trying to revive the "hatchbacks" ! I really like the P1800 !!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Looking at all those cars, i'd rather keep my Jimmy.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:18 PM

I'm not a fan of hatchbacks but I would love to have a Scirocco R which has been available in Europe for a few years now. No plans to bring it to the US though. Our new Golf R is very similar though...

2.0 Turbo, 260HP and all-wheel drive.

Last edited by Nocturnx; 02-18-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

wow i just though up a little in my mouth them there some ugly cars kid space

Old 02-18-2011, 01:50 PM

Sorry - but the Newer Mini Stoopid Cooper is just a glorified '77 Honda Civic. Don't drive one in town with the potholes & such - that thing will beat you to death. Yeah, they are fast - but hell to work on too! People always will ask why you're driving a "Chick" car too!

Old 02-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Talking "2 `be free 2 choose 4-Sure" : )

Originally Posted by Blazed SS
wow i just though up a little in my mouth them there some ugly cars kid space

Hi `Keith, I'm sorry that the pictures in this thread made U throw `up . That was not my intent or was `it
LOL I just do my best to post topic's that may be of interest to the majority in our Monte Family...Sometimes I succeed, and many times, I fail , but I'll keep try'in

I admit, that I like certain hatchbacks, & really like the VW Scirocco "R"., but that's why I am so thankful to live in our country where we all have so many choices on what type of vehicle we want to `drive...I know that not everyone is driving what they want, but have to drive what they can afford, or can get : (

I honestly believe that anyone can get just about any vehicle they want `if that is their priority and #`1 goal in `life...
Presently, due to other priorities, a car is not my main priority, but it does not stop me from dream'in & saving for my dream machine 4-Sure : )...

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder or beer holder"
I love the Chevy Monte Carlo, but I've met many that do not like it @ `all, and that is their right, and it is my right to like `it..."Freedom of Choice" ~>4-Sure...

I had the chance to drive a co-workes VW Golf GTI & it was a fun ride with a small 4 Banger Tubo..It handled like it was on rails, and stopped like it ran in2 crazy glue...+ it gets super MPG's : ) His surfbord will fit in his hatchback 2 : )
Some VW are produced in Mexico, but the Golf is made in Germany & it is a tight ride 4-Real...

...I still prefer a 4th Gen Monte with Mod's or a 7th Gen S.S.,
but I like many cars that are out there for us to have, `if we have the $'s & cents = $ense LOL...I'm a little short on that one : )
OK, that's all that fall'in outa my Space `Head = it's empty again : )
"What matter's most, is that the owner/driver likes what they are driving & paying for" ~>4-Really~>Really Sure....
Thanks member's 4 your post/comments...I always enjoy reading/seeing them...
Peace/Happy 2 `all ~>`Out

Quick Reply: Five Offbeat Cars Coming in 2011