Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

First Day of Winter is 12/22/11 + weather updates & news

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow First Day of Winter is 12/22/11 + weather updates & news

When is the first day of winter 2011?

In 2011, winter begins on December 22

Don't tell it to the ones below Member's, please be safe out there on your Highways of Life - Please don't party/drink/smoke illegal~* & drive 4-Sure!
=================================
5 die in plane crash as storm slams five states
Two children among dead ; snow, strong winds move into central US; Northeast could get snow over Christmas

Clyde Mueller / APVehicles on I-25 approach Santa Fe, N.M., in a single file as snow accumulates Monday.

msnbc.com staff and news service reports

<!---Print--->
Five people, including two children, were killed when a single-engine plane crashed in eastern Texas during a storm, it was reported Tuesday.
Ernest Contreras, of the Texas Department of Public Safety, said the crash happened Monday night just before 10 p.m. (11 p.m. ET) in a farming and ranching community in Brazos County. Everyone on the plane was killed.
Contreras said the flight originated in Atlanta, stopped in Jackson, Miss., and was headed for Waco, Texas, when it crashed.
Contreras said the severe weather may have played a role in the crash, but authorities were still investigating.
Two adults, a two-year-old child and a teenager were found dead inside the plane, while another adult was found about 50 yards away, KBTX.com reported, citing Department of Public Safety troopers.
KBTX.com said the pilot had spoken to air traffic control at Forth Worth after getting into bad weather and was told to take a specific course, but flew in the opposite direction, according to the DPS.
"It's a pretty horrific scene over there," Sgt. Charles Booker told KBTX.com.
Six die in traffic accidents
The storm, which brought strong winds and snow to five states, crawled deeper into the central U.S. early Tuesday, with forecasters warning that pre-holiday travel would be difficult if not impossible across the region.
Earlier, authorities said six people had died in traffic accidents as a result of the bad weather.
Four were killed when their vehicle collided with a pickup truck in part of eastern New Mexico where blizzard-like conditions are rare, and a prison guard and inmate died when a prison van crashed along an icy roadway in eastern Colorado.
Video: Six dead as blizzard slams Southwest, Great Plains (on this page)From New Mexico to Kansas, hotels were filling up quickly along major roadways and travel throughout the region was difficult.

Nearly 100 rescue calls came in from motorists in northern Texas as blizzard conditions forced closed part of Interstate 40, a major east-west route, Monday night.
  1. Only on msnbc.com

1. NASA GSFC / NOAA NGDC
      Satellites document North Korea's dark ages
    2. Will younger Kim's aunt, uncle be N. Korea puppet masters?
    3. Analysis: Opportunities, dangers loom over N. Korea
    4. Congress locked in stare-down over payroll tax cut
    5. That's where it went! Swallowed pen still works 25 years later

6. AP
      Why we flee those crowded aisles
    7. China remembers troublesome neighbor's leader
New Mexico shut down a portion of Interstate 25, the major route heading northeast of Santa Fe into Colorado, and Clayton police dispatcher Cindy Blackwell said her phones were "ringing off the hook" with calls from numerous motorists stuck on rural roads.
About 10 inches of snow had fallen in western Kansas before dawn Tuesday, and several more inches — along with strong wind gusts — were expected, National Weather Service meteorologist Marc Russell said.
"We're talking about whiteout conditions," he said.
Video: Snowstorm threatens Southwest, Great Plains The storm came after much of the country had a relatively mild fall. Except for the October snowstorm blamed for 29 deaths on the East Coast, there has been little rain or snow.
Many of the areas hit Monday enjoyed relatively balmy 60-degree temperatures just 24 hours earlier.

The snowstorm lumbered into the region Monday, turning roads to ice and reducing visibility to zero. The conditions put state road crews on alert and had motorists taking refuge and early exits off major roads across the region.
  1. Partner links

1. Top stories
    2. Severe alerts
    3. Pollen hot spots
    4. Airport delays
    5. Rush hour traffic
Linda Pape, general manager of the Clayton Super 8 motel in Colorado, said it was packed with unhappy skiers who had been headed to lodges in Colorado and elsewhere in New Mexico.
Bill Cook, who works at the Best Western in Clayton, said he hadn't seen such a storm since the 1970s, when cattle had to be airlifted with helicopters and the National Guard was called in to help out. His hotel was packed Monday with people "happy they have a room," and some of the children were playing outside in the snow.
Though some drivers were inconvenienced, farmers and meteorologists said the storm was bringing much needed moisture — first rain, then snow as temperatures dropped — to areas of Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas that had been parched by a drought that started in the summer of 2010.
White Christmas?
Virginia Kepley, 73, spent Monday afternoon baking pumpkin bread to give as Christmas gifts while snow fell on her farm near Ulysses, Kansas.
"I decided to try to get as much done today in case the electricity goes off and I can't make it tomorrow," she said.
Kepley was grateful for the snow after some of her family's wheat never got enough moisture to sprout last season. A new crop had been planted in the fall for harvest next summer.
"It is wonderful for the wheat," Kepley said. "At least we have wheat we can see this year."
Meanwhile, weather.com meteorologist Jonathan Erdman said there was a chance of snow in the Northeast for the Christmas weekend.
"There are two possible scenarios for Christmas weekend in the Northeast," he said.
Erdman said an area including Philadelphia, New York City, Hartford, and Boston could see accumulations of snow, although also with a chance of rain.
However he said under the second scenario, the I-95 Boston-to-Washington corridor could get "predominantly rain."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Last edited by Space; 12-20-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's going to be in the 50s and partly sunny.

If winter stays like that, I won't mind it at all!!

Old 12-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Here in Canada, there's a popular environmentalist named Dr. David Suzuki. He's really respected..... or was until recently when he ruined Christmas for the kids in a blatant publicity stunt to raise funds for his own organization.

Suzuki, head of a foundation in his name, has a new website claiming that the ice at the North Pole has melted, and Santa was in need of emergency relocation - just send the Suzuki foundation some cash, and Santa will be saved.
The link below has the news story along with a 3 minute video of a news cast discussing his tactics.

LINK----> Sun News : Sorry Suzuki, everything's cool up here

Old 12-20-2011, 08:52 AM

A screengrab from the David Suzuki Foundation's "Where Will Santa Live?" website.

`Lou, interesting, sad story on what some people do & say.
To me it is always sad when some people hurt with their words & acts...I'm sure that he is sorry that his words hurt (or he should `be sorry) I hope the parents were able to reassure their children that Santa is safe in the North Pole

Old 12-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I think his self-named foundation may be struggling for money. And he's resorted to the sleazy tactics of telling kids that there won't be any Christmas unless they give him cash.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 AM

Yes `Lou, I find it sad what some people will `do to get money from others when they mislead or hurt. I hope that he is sorry for his attempt...
It reminds me of Scrooge...

Money, the root of all evil...It makes people do
unkind things to other's...It corrupts the souls of many

I may be alone ^, but I'm Rich...$$$$
I can buy friends, can't I ? can I ?
How much will it cost 4 U 2 be my Friend...
How much will you sell your soul for ? What

Old 12-20-2011, 10:01 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Thats sad that someone would do something like that to make money

Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 AM

AP
Five States Crippled by Deadly Storm

Fierce winds and heavy snow closed highways in five states. Forecasters say the storm could snarl holiday travel as it pushes east.
Number of deaths being blamed on it

Last edited by Space; 12-20-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Thats sad that someone would do something like that to make money
It is terrible.

If you all send me donations, I will start up an anti-children-trust-killing-fund to prevent things like this from ever occurring again.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

32 here today but sunny and dry. I don't think we're gonna have a white Christmas.