Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Fellow IT members

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Fellow IT members

Hey all, to any fellow member who is computer savy i have a question. As some of you know i'm trying to start a business. I've been wondering about an unlimited use license key for windows OS. I have one for XP Pro but anyone know of how i'd obtain (if even possible at my level) one for 7?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

i would check first with Microsoft suport desk for starters.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member

hmm, think its even worth it for a one man operation?

Old 01-09-2012, 08:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Most volume use keys for Windows XP were abused and thus "black listed" (do not pass the Windows Genuine Checker). Some small computer businesses would obtain those keys and in CLEAR violation of the agreement and no regard for proper licensing, use them until the cows came home on PCs they build, refurb or re-load the OS on and resell. Hence a volume license key good for say 50 activations may have been used 500 times. Microsoft tightened the belt on that process to limit the abuse factor.

For Vista and Win7, if I recall (as I had some of this on a recent Cert Upgrade Exam, but it was more of a foot note), you have a couple of options:
1 - Single license
2 - Volume License Server (another words all Vista/Win7 PCs activate on a server on your LAN and that server acts like a "proxy" between you and Microsoft).
3 - MAK (Multiple Activation Key) - One Key good for X amount of activations, but the activations are still handled via Microsoft.

You will need to contact Microsoft to establish these types of keys, but volume keys are meant for a large business to activate the PCs on their business LAN. If you need this for building or reselling PCs, I don't think this is the solution you seek. What you may want to look into is a volume discount licenses (such as if you buy 100 OEM System Builder Licenses, can you get a bulk discount instead of buying 1-10 of them).

Now, if you are concerned about re-installing the OS on a system that already has a license, I am not sure what MS did for an answer to Vista/Win7 but a couple years ago they released an AWESOME answer to WinXP (I am sure they did the same for Vista/7 or something as good). I hated working with a OEM system (like a Dell or HP) that has a valid COA on the box for a license BUT the owner lacks the disc. I can re-install the OS but not activate it and therefore they are out of license compliance. MS made a tool that as long as you installed the correct build (such as XP Pro, XP Home, XP Tablet) you run this tool, it asks for the COA license and WHAM it fixes the licensing on the OS making it legit to what is stickered on the box.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member

I would need probably the MAK, for reformatting/building etc. As i said before i have an XP Pro code and with the genuine software stuff it installs i'm about 90% its a guine key

Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
I would need probably the MAK, for reformatting/building etc. As i said before i have an XP Pro code and with the genuine software stuff it installs i'm about 90% its a guine key
If you are using a volume license key to re-condition PCs to sell/service that do not belong to the same company, I'm 90% sure you are violating the license (especially if you did not buy that license).

Use Microsoft's web site to find a phone number/email address/someone to contact to get an official ruling. But I really think you are best off getting System Builder licenses.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member

The code i have has mostly been for personal use, it hasn't resulted in me making and money. I'll look into a system builder license

Old 01-09-2012, 08:52 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
The code i have has mostly been for personal use, it hasn't resulted in me making and money. I'll look into a system builder license
I hate to sound like I'm raining on your parade, it does not matter if that volume license key is for Educational/Personal/Business/Profit/Non-Profit, if you did not purchase it or Microsoft provide it directly to you, I think it's safe to say you are in violation of the terms of use.

Microsoft does provide licenses for personal/demo use. Those are 30-120 day trial licenses or sometimes they provide "not for resale" full licensed products at launch events.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member

I'm aware, the license came from another source, i know its not mine and violation of terms of use. But its a valuable tool for me Hence me wondering into getting my own legal legitimet copy of 7.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You need to purchase a copy of Windows 7 and install it.

And contact Microsoft about possibly becoming a partner and get small discounts on software, unless you buy in bulk.

Last edited by nitehawkjcb; 01-10-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Fellow IT members