Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Famous Cars + More : )

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by metalfan79
They did the same thing on Knight Rider. Every year they would update KITT's body. Just pay attention to the front end of the cars. The KITTs from the last season look different than the KITTs from the first season. The changes weren't as drastic as the changes in the car from the Rockford Files though.

Early version of KITT:

Latter version of KITT:
I remember that. But I also remember them mentioning it in the show. "We've made improvements to KITT..."

One thing I do remember is the red light on KITT's dash that blinked every time he said something. In the beginning is was just one large red light. By the end of the show's run, it was a three columns of red LED's.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I found out there was actually two of them. Here's a link to the history of the MonkeeMobile, and what happened to them.

CLICK HERE
That was actually a great read Taz!

Can you believe that original car was "left in the open" - basically abandoned in Australia. Ownership wasn 't registered for years and who ever had possession of it for over a decade was considered the owner. The car still exists with many modification that haven't been accounted for, done by uncounted anonimous owners. But the best is that it spent a few years as a courtesy car at a Puerto Rican resort and nobody knew what it even was!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:30 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know if enough people are familiar enough with Vanishing Point for that to be a famous Challenger, but it's famous in my mind. The Monkees GTO didn't have a big enough supercharger for my tastes.

If you had to make a list of the most famous cars in my opinion... they really come from the late 70's, it seems. The Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am lasts forever, the General Lee is famous. Starsky and Hutch was popular in its day, but I don't know about now... Herbie the VW was famous. I really love that set of vehicles from cars. Pretty cool that someone made those.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:17 AM

The Merf Mobile from Wayne's World.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
One thing I do remember is the red light on KITT's dash that blinked every time he said something. In the beginning is was just one large red light. By the end of the show's run, it was a three columns of red LED's.
It actually went through 3 versions. During the first season, KITT's "mouth" ("Voice Modulator") in the interior of the vehicle was a flashing red square with 4 buttons on each side. In episode 14 "Heart of Stone", this was changed to three sectioned vertical bars (still with 4 buttons on each side), as this design proved popular with fans as part of KARR. (KARR used a bright green display with an inner bar that expanded outward and two outer bars that expanded from both ends inward, whereas KITT's was red and all three bars expanded outward from the center, but with greater magnitude in the center bar). In latter seasons the entire dash was improved with the "Voice Modulator" staying three sectioned vertical bars (although looking a little different) but it now had 5 buttons on each side.

The 4 button version:

The 5 button version:

Last edited by metalfan79; 01-02-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:04 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't forget the King of Customs - George Barris creations...

Old 01-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I watched a show on tv recently about George Barris and his customs. Apparantly they were only designed to look good on the tv or movie screen. Up close in person you can easily see they were just pieced together with little regard for fine details. Kinda ruined my image of his work.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:07 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I watched a show on tv recently about George Barris and his customs. Apparantly they were only designed to look good on the tv or movie screen. Up close in person you can easily see they were just pieced together with little regard for fine details. Kinda ruined my image of his work.
Its understandable if alot of them got wrecked/ damaged. No point building a show car if your gonna drive it through a building haha.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:51 PM

Did anyone mention this one? Another one of my faves.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Gib
Default How Could You Overlook

The Beverly Hillbillys' truck

Attached Thumbnails Famous Cars + More : )-beverly_hillbillies.jpg  

Quick Reply: Famous Cars + More : )