Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Facebook dieing!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Facebook dieing!

Just heard on our local news...
Facebook is dieing almost dead!

Lots of people (kids/adults) included are closeing there facebook accts!

People rapidly loseing interest in it!

Old 12-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Dave, I believe this has a lot to do with people tiring of all the lack of privacy concerns. I mean employers and potential employers look over your facebook to find the REAL you. Big deal I say what you do off duty, just don't bring it or that attitude to work. I never did the Facebook thing, there was a substantial lack of control over your information. People can tag you or something like that and your popping up all over the map.

Probably gets tiring constantly laying out your daily or weekly laundry for all the world to see. Anyway, bet it will hang on for a few more years and then like MY Space off she goes into the abyss. LOL, they sold a lot of stocks, bet the investors in the know are quietly disposing of their shares.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:44 PM

5 Year Member

I totally agree Greg.

I only recently opened an acct for our Michigan Monte Carlo Club facebook page.... Otherwise... I never would have had one like you...

But then again... I have nothing to hide from either ...

Old 12-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

LOL Dave, sure you have been such a good boy your whole life. A harley guy with nothing to hide? LOL, wink wink

What information they glean now might never be needed till they want you. Get my drift. But anyway, heh we all have to live, good so many families are able to share memories and such with this media form.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:55 PM

5 Year Member

Ive been a good boy...Just ask santa...lol

Old 12-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Ha, you can always head to Mexico, warm weather, tequila and white sandy beaches. Just don't put it on Facebook for gods sake...

Old 12-28-2013, 11:05 PM

5 Year Member

You know me all to well Mr Greg!

Old 12-28-2013, 11:44 PM

5 Year Member

I completely agree!
I love my MCF Family!!

Old 12-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Hi Dave, I believe this has a lot to do with people tiring of all the lack of privacy concerns. I mean employers and potential employers look over your facebook to find the REAL you. Big deal I say what you do off duty, just don't bring it or that attitude to work. I never did the Facebook thing, there was a substantial lack of control over your information. People can tag you or something like that and your popping up all over the map.

Probably gets tiring constantly laying out your daily or weekly laundry for all the world to see. Anyway, bet it will hang on for a few more years and then like MY Space off she goes into the abyss. LOL, they sold a lot of stocks, bet the investors in the know are quietly disposing of their shares.
Greg I don't know when you seperated (i know you were army) but we now have AFI's (air force instructionals) and regulations telling us what we can and can't say on FB. And we always have to say something along the lines of "it is my opinion and not that of the airforce that....." I tend to be a very politically active person so when I say things about how I believe certain persons have broken laws or betrayed our country I have to be very careful. However I mostly feel like I'm doing my duty, you know "threats both foreign and domestic..." and all that. Anyways that's my rant for the day haha. Anyways I just treat fb as an open forum so I won't say anything I wouldnt say to anyone else's face.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Social media, like Facebook (not a niche forum like MCF.com) is subject of a lot of issues.
- I read news stories of employers asking potential employees for their FB credentials. Laws have later surfaced to protect people from that, which I feel any company insisting I give up my credentials has bigger problems, lack of proper anti-identity theft training.

- People share too much information in a wide area like FB. Examples like:
- Silly things like "I'm going to the rest room". Uhm, thanks, did not need to know that.
- "Vague Posting" is an annoyance of mine, when people put a disheartening remark just begging the sympathy of others. A remark that might be as simple as "My life sucks", begging people to ask "why"? I have nothing wrong with if you have a bad day and need a little pick me up from people, but don't make it over dramatic. If you feel your life sucks, don't be vague, say WHY from the start, no need to make everyone ask (and sometimes worse, not respond with an answer).
- People sharing where they are at every minute. Amplified by people dragging others into that world. Such as I never state on FB that I'm going somewhere, but if I'm meeting up with friends, they may tag me in a post saying where we are all at. I don't care if the world knows we went to "Texas Roadhouse", the people I care about that know are WITH ME at "Texas Roadhouse".

- People loose touch with the "non-FB" community. Such as some people hold a party, send the invite on FB, but if you are a real life friend who does not use FB, you might not get a phone call, text message, or carrier pigeon telling you about it. Or, more annoying, it becomes a regular game of "telephone" where the host asks someone more likely to talk with you "hey, can you let so-an-so know about this party".

- People lack proper use of a FB invite. I went to an event some friends had, details changed a little on the fly, but the core was simple. They posted a thing on FB about it, but never made an actual FB invite. Because I don't live my life on FB (but I check in once in a while), I did not get a bunch of details as I did not check that person's FB wall for updates. What they should have done is made a FB Event/Invite, then if I'm on the list, WHAM, when I check in to FB, I get access to notifications.

- Now, back to employers. Employers do make use of things like FB to assist with background checks, how you represent yourself. I don't blame them, why shouldn't they? It's not really no different then any other check, it just gives them a peak of what they might not know about you. It gives them a chance to compare things you fill out on a job app or put in a resume and match them up to your digital presence. It also gives them an idea of who you might be after hours. Sure, I see how this can sometimes be unfair as something might get painted wrong, but you do have some control of what about you is out there, such as the language you use online (where anyone may read it), the things you re-share on FB, types of people you affiliate yourself with.
- Flip side, and I've done this one. You are job hunting, you have an interview scheduled with a manager. You know the person's name and where they work. Go hunting! Search them on FB, LinkedIn, Google them. Purpose, learn more about who you are meeting with based on their online information. See if there is something to help you in the interview (such as a common interest, or better understanding of the person's background about your skill sets).

And the last thing SOOOO many people take for granted, and never think about.....
Rule #1 of the Internet:
- Once it's on the Internet, it's ALWAYS on the Internet!!!
Sure, you might be able to "delete" what you did, but think about this..... How many servers might that content be one? How many computers/mobile deviced and Internet cache is holding that content? How many back up tapes and redundant servers and alternate datacenters did that content make it to? The questions are endless!

Anyone that is linked with my FB account knows, I post little on their. I reshare funny things, share pics of projects. Outside of that, I keep my life MINE. Most things are on a "need to know basis" (OK, not that strict), but seriously, if you need to know, you're around me or we have plans to do something.
Also, online or offline, I'm the same guy. I don't try to be an "Internet Tough Guy" protected by my keyboard and Internet connection. I don't like to name call, insult, belittle people online or offline. Since anyone can read what I post on the Internet, I prefer not to use foul language, slurs or any joke that may be innocent but to someone on the outside look offensive. I censor the language I use, but not the content.

Quick Reply: Facebook dieing!