Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

- F.B.I. -

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Default RE: - F.B.I. -

The writer on the gun guys board isDumb.
If someone has the drop on you and advantage in numbers there is nothing you can do no matter how much training you have even if your name is Chuck Norris nothing you can do.

Anything can happen in any place. There always will be bad guys lurking around.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

LOL `L.K.,
I don't think gun's are bad, I just think there are bad people.
There will always be some devise to use, `if you decide
to `hurt. : (
Yes, I also thought the writer wasn't to bright, but
I just wanted to harrass `GP `Dave LOL
It's hard 2 prove him wrong, & I stayed online awaiting
his reply : )
Thanks also `Randall for your post, We enjoyed.
Peace/Out from `Space

Old 04-29-2008, 04:46 PM

Space I was notflaimg you in any way I was expressing my opinion on the article. The writer most def put a spin on it.

I know better to flame Space. Cuz I heard you get Abducted by Aliens if you do that and they use these probes........... LOL.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Uncle Space[sm=alien.gif], you are a funny and well-intentioned person.

Therefore I have a homework/researchproblem for you.[sm=bangbang.gif]

Answer the following, no time limit no rush.

Odds of dying hurtat a gun show?[sm=shootshoot.gif]

Odds of dying in your sleep?[sm=outcold.gif]

Odds of dyingin your bathroom?[sm=chairshot.gif]

Odds of dying in your car?[sm=gears.gif]

Odds of dying of Heart disease or Cancer?[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Odds of winning the California Lottery?[sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 04-29-2008, 06:25 PM

Net `GP `Dave,
My grandfather taught me that I started dying the day I was
born. He taught me to plan for my 2morrow's, but
to always remember to live my day.
I've practiced how to Master my Time so that I can get
the most from each day. I know that each day is another
day closer to the end of my `journey.
His constant quote: "No One is Promised a 2-Morrow...,
Live/EnJoy your Now"
I wish the reader of my words,
Happiness in your `Now
from `Space
ps LK, I knew U wasn't...I enjoy your posts.
No, I sure don't want 2 get prob~>`ed ~>( lol

Old 04-29-2008, 09:23 PM

Well both Laramie and Bozeman are college towns and they seem safe enough, granted there is stuff that goes down, but the biggest 'crime' around here is either underaged drinking, and the second would probably be traffic related, (street racing, speeding, exhibition driving) but that's just 'cause Wyo-Tech is like a mile outta town and the administration building is here in town. Even though Laramie is about half the size of Bozeman, there are so many nicer cars, I've even seen a few ferrari's (really surprising to see these in Wyoming, even more so in a town of like 22k people at 9k feet above sea level)

As for the gun deal I have no idea where it might go, but being in Wyoming and knowing that damn near everyone I know owns or atleast has shot a gun before and it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal around here.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:28 AM

Homework assignment from GP `Dave
[:-]
[align=center]The Odds of Dying in ...

ยท
Motor vehicle: 1-in-84
ยท Motorcyle: 1-in-938
ยท Bicycle: 1-in-4,472
ยท Air travel: 1-in-5,552
ยท Bus: 1-in-94,242
ยท Train: 1-in-139,617
The Odds of Drowning in ...

ยท
Natural water: 1-in-2,828
ยท Swimming pool: 1-in-6,031
ยท Bath tub: 1-in-9,377
The Odds of Winning Jackpot in ...

ยท
Slot machines: 1-in-16,777,216
ยท Calif. SuperLotto: 1-in-41,416,353
ยท Powerball: 1-in-146,107,962
ยท Mega Millions: 1-in-175,711,536[/align][align=center]The Odds of dying in a ...

ยท
Flood: 1-in-30,000
ยท Tornado: 1-in-60,000
ยท Lightning strike: 1-in-83,930
ยท Earthquake: 1-in-131,890
ยท Asteroid impact: 1-in-200,000*
ยท Tsunami: 1-in-500,000
The Odds of Injury Requiring Medical Treatment From:

ยท
Lyme's disease: 1-in-18,100
ยท Snake bite: 1-in-25,300
ยท West Nile: 1-in-68,500
ยท Shark attack: 1-in-6,000,000

(Source: The New York Times)

The Odds of Being a Victim of ...

ยท Assault by Firearm*: 1-in-325
ยท Poisoning*: 1-in-1,400
ยท Murder this year: 1-in-16,917
ยท Strangulation*: 1-in-34,424
[/align]True Believers

The Odds of Believing ...

ยท That it's better to be poor and thin, than rich and fat: 2-in-3*
ยท You are "extremely stressed": 1-in-3
ยท That the best way to get rich is to win the lottery: 1-in-5
ยท Your tattoo was a mistake**: 1-in-7
ยท You saw a UFO: 1-in-7
Work It

The Odds That You...

ยท Have fallen asleep or have felt very sleepy at work in the last month: 1-in-3
ยท Work at a job where you never get a paid day off: 1-in-4
ยท Plan to take sick days this summer to go to the beach or go shopping: 3-in-10
ยท Do not have health insurance: 1-in-7
ยท Leave home for your commute to work before 6 a.m. to beat traffic: 1-in-8
The Odds of Dying From ...

ยท
Heart disease: 1-in-438
ยท Cancer this year: 1-in-600
ยท Staph infection: 1-in-16,146
ยท Measles: 1-in-300,000,000

ReSearch Continues : )

Old 04-30-2008, 01:35 PM

ยท Assault by Firearm*: 1-in-325

Seems skewed Unckie Space.

I know thousands of people here in So Cal (home of illegally usedfirearms of course).

I've lived in East L. A. all my life.

I can honestly say, I don't personally knowsingle person who has ever been assaulted by a firearm.

I think this number might come from Iraq or Afghanistan or something....[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 04-30-2008, 01:43 PM

Fun Fact Sheet: Guns Save Lives

[b]

A. Guns save more lives than they take; prevent more injuries than they inflict
[blockquote]* Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day.1 This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives.2 [/blockquote]
[blockquote]* Of the 2.5 million times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, the overwhelming majority merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers. Less than 8% of the time, a citizen will kill or wound his/her attacker.3 [/blockquote]
[blockquote]* As many as 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse.4 [/blockquote]
[blockquote]* Even anti-gun Clinton researchers concede that guns are used 1.5 million times annually for self-defense. According to the Clinton Justice Department, there are as many as 1.5 million cases of self-defense every year. The National Institute of Justice published this figure in 1997 as part of "Guns in America" -- a study which was authored by noted anti-gun criminologists Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig.5 [/blockquote]
[blockquote]* Armed citizens kill more crooks than do the police. Citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as police do every year (1,527 to 606).6 And readers of Newsweek learned that "only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The 'error rate' for the police, however, was 11 percent, more than five times as high."7 [/blockquote]
[blockquote]* Handguns are the weapon of choice for self-defense. Citizens use handguns to protect themselves over 1.9 million times a year.8 Many of these self-defense handguns could be labeled as "Saturday Night Specials." [/blockquote]
B. Concealed carry laws help reduce crime
[blockquote]* Nationwide: one-half million self-defense uses. Every year, as many as one-half million citizens defend themselves with a firearm away from home.9 [/blockquote]
[blockquote][/blockquote]
[blockquote]* Concealed carry laws are dropping crime rates across the country. A comprehensive national study determined in 1996 that violent crime fell after states made it legal to carry concealed firearms. The results of the study showed:
[blockquote]* States which passed concealed carry laws reduced their murder rate by 8.5%, rapes by 5%, aggravated assaults by 7% and robbery by 3%;10 and [/blockquote]
[blockquote]* If those states not having concealed carry laws had adopted such laws in 1992, then approximately 1,570 murders, 4,177 rapes, 60,000 aggravated assaults and over 11,000 robberies would have been avoided yearly.11 [/blockquote][/blockquote]
[blockquote]* Vermont: one of the safest five states in the country. In Vermont, citizens can carry a firearm without getting permission... without paying a fee... or without going through any kind of government-imposed waiting period. And yet for ten years in a row, Vermont has remained one of the top-five, safest states in the union -- having three times received the "Safest State Award."12 [/blockquote]
[blockquote]* Florida: concealed carry helps slash the murder rates in the state. In the fifteen years following the passage of Florida's concealed carry law in 1987, over 800,000 permits to carry firearms were issued to people in the state.13 FBI reports show that the homicide rate in Florida, which in 1987 was much higher than the national average, fell 52% during that 15-year period -- thus putting the Florida rate below the national average. 14 [/blockquote]
[blockquote][size=+

Old 04-30-2008, 01:46 PM

Guns Save Lives

WHEN AN ARSONIST lights a match that burns a building, is the match at fault? Are match manufacturers responsible for the fire? Should laws be passed prohibiting you from having and using matches, or restricting which types you can have, and in what quantities?

The obvious answer to these questions is no. The same match that is misused by the arsonist lights the fireplace that warms us, and the stove that feeds us. The match has no mind of its own. It is not an evil invention. Its purpose is to ignite, nothing more. If it is misused, the solution is to punish the individual wrongdoer. Everyone else should be left alone.

The same is true of firearms.

Firearms are employed every day by police, military, and law-abiding private citizens to deter crime, participate in competitions, hunt, and in the gravest extreme, to save the life of a victim of murder, rape, or serious assault. Most often, the mere presence of a firearm is enough to stop criminal activity in its tracks.

To the woman whose clothes are about to be torn from her body by a knife-wielding rapist in a deserted parking lot, a handgun in the purse is a lifeline. It is a genuine equalizer that may mean the difference between her life and her death. It gives her a chance when she otherwise would have none.

Every police officer who has made an arrest or stopped a crime understands this principle. Every soldier who has known battle understands this as well. And every private citizen who has ever faced a violent criminal alone, and knows the feeling of an impending, untimely death at the hands of a merciless savage, understands the importance of being able to own and carry a firearm, whether or not he or she ever has to fire it.

Guns Stop Crime

Criminologists of all political persuasions, in over a dozen studies, estimate that firearms are used for protection against criminals several hundred thousand to 2.5 million times per year, often without a shot fired. This is a staggering statistic, but it's not one you are likely to hear on the evening news. Why is it that you don't hear about the homeowner who defended his family before the police could arrive; or the shopkeeper who saved his own life and the lives of his customers; or the woman who stopped her own rape and murder; or the teacher who stopped the school shooting?

Yet when a single criminal goes on a tragic rampage, that's ALL you hear about, over and over and over again, along with angry cries to ban firearms. Why?

Media Bias[font=arial]

[size=2]A recent study by the media watchdog Media Research Center (Alexandria, Virginia) concluded that media coverage of firearms is overwhelmingly biased to the negative, noting that between 1995 and 1999, television networks collectively aired 514 anti-gun stories, to a mere 46 that were pro-firearm, a ratio of more than 11-to-1 against firearms.

Unfortunately, we are only being told one side of the story. When we hear only one side, we assume that what we are told is all there is to know, and we do not inquire further. Biased media coverage controls public opinion by controlling public perception.

We have been conditioned to associate gun ownership with criminal activity, when in fact the opposite is true. There are nearly 80 million law-abiding gun owners in America, whose use of firearms is entirely for sport and self-defense. For these millions of people, firearms represent safety, security, and recreation. Shooting is even an Olympic sport, and the first medal of the 2000 Summer Olympics was gold, and was won by an American woman in a shooting event.

When a lone criminal misuses a firearm, does that negate the hundred