Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Economy SUCKS! Lost My Job!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs down Economy SUCKS! Lost My Job!

I seen it coming, and it happened Thursday morning. I got sick hard with the flu just as I was finishing a tool (I'm a tool and die moldmaker). I had all the details done, just had to put it together. I had help with that (plenty of help available, as we were slow). I left early Tuesday, and went home and went to bed. Basically stayed in bed all day Wednesday, and when I went in to work Thursday morning, I found my tool assembled (as expected), and the boss came over to me and said there was nothing for me to work on, that's it, I'm laid off. Permanently. Seen it coming, but that didn't make it much easier. I AM relieved tho, as it was a 1 hour commute each way, 10 hr days plus commute, and in an environment where I was the outsider. I didn't fit in. I have SO much relief that I no longer work there, that I now feel this as a blessing from God that working that job is no longer a part of my life.

So after 35 years in the trade, and at age 55, I'm now unemployed, with no one hiring, cuz there JUST ISN'T ANY JOBS! I got a few lines on things, but it has made me available to do several other things for people that needed help, as in road trip co-pilot and driver. I'm heading to Mayo Clinic tomorrow, and will be home Thursday. Being a driver for our Pastor, so his wife can stay home with their young girls for a change.

What's in the future? I got a line on a couple of things. One is a 3rd shift job running Wire EDMs for an old friend, but the commute would suck worse than the one I just had, as it's all I-94, US 131, and then downtown Ka'zoo traffic. My MAIN hope and prayer for a job is at a local community college called Lake Michigan College in there vocational tech' department as a part time instructor. Pay is decent, and I don't need benefits as LadyT works for the state of Michigan as an adult services worker (she has a MSW!). I have some experience teaching at the college level, teaching Mold Design for 3 years at another local college, and I have been involved with local apprenticeship programs for years, not only working with apprentices, but also with school counselors, teachers, and administrators from all over the state. There IS life other than a liberal arts college, BUT our young MUST have training in some field or another.

Pray for me (us) that God will use me where he wants me to be used, to the fullest, using my abilities and talents.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Thumbs up Stay `Strong & Believe!

Pray for me (us) that God will use me where he wants me to be used, to the fullest, using my abilities and talents.

Hi Wayne,
Really sorry to read about your sad news. I am sure that the Master
Creator of `all has other plans for you.

Today's news is sad in so many ways, but I think we all have to
stop, and look what we still have, then what we don't have.

I did read that the unemployment benefit's have been extended,
and I hope that helps you and family during your transition.

I have learned that if you have your health, you are a rich/blessed
man. I wish you the best of luck, and I am sure that with your
talents/abilities that you will be tested, but will become a stronger
person in `life. Keep your `faith, and it shall be stronger to.
The Best to you & yours,
from
the Kid from `Space

Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My apologies for the sickness plus being laid off. Talk about having a bad week.

Hopefully things work through for you

Old 03-16-2009, 07:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Thanks for the kind thoughts Space.
The teaching positions don't start until fall semester, I just found out. Not sure if that's bad or good. It would give me time to prepare, learn some unfamiliar software and machines, and maybe brush up on calculus if I got the math position, also.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about the layoff Wayne. Prayers on the way. Hopefully you'll find something better very soon!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Ya Wayne times are tough. I was laid off from my Desktop/Prepress job back at the end of July and have yet to find a job in my field. I did start a Temp job under contract back in the end of September and I am still working. But the thing that sucks for me is that I am forced to to COBRA because of my pre existing condition and I can't get my own health insurance. That was the main reason for selling my Mini Cooper because with the $450 a month COBRA payment and a $400 car payment - something had to go. And I don't have any idea when I will get married (I have been engaged for 3 1/2 years now) so I can't get on my Finance's insurance unless we are officially married. I hope things turn around soon because this is very depressing.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Sorry to hear about that man. I hope things turn around for you.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Thumbs up Don't Give Up `Hope

Hi `Wayne,
I do wish you the best, for you are a good man.
Below is a link to check out for you, & members
that are searching for work.
Good Luck 2 `all

Over One Million `Jobs

Sometimes in Life we get knocked down,
ok many times. But, we got to get back `up,
and don't give up `Hope for a better 2morrow
4-Sure.
Keep the `Faith and Hope.

We all still have choices, we can choose to be `sad about
`life, or we can get back up and make the best of it.
I wish you and members the best.
Don't Give Up `Hope

Don't worry Homer, U will find a `Job
just go to Monsters.com

Peace/Happiness/Faith & `Hope
`Space

Last edited by Space; 03-16-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: 4 Hope & Happiness
Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 AM

Sorry about your job Wayne.
I've been hoping that stories like this become less frequent, but at least tough times can't last forever.

Hopefully this is an opportunity for you to pursue something that you've always wanted to do but never had a reason to.
Best wishes with pursuing the teaching job.

-Riggs.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:53 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Wayne,

Sorry to hear about what's been going on in your life. As you well know God does things for a reason. When He closes one door, He allows another door to open.

The way our economy is right now, a lot more people could find themselves without work.

Try to use this time to get fully recovered from being sick. Being run down only allows you to get sick again or not get well.

Please keep us updated on how things are going for you. We will be Praying for you.

RJ

Quick Reply: Economy SUCKS! Lost My Job!