Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

EBAY Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default EBAY Question

Hey everyone, just looking for a bit of advice on something. Ok here is the background. I've been looking for some sill plates for my car, and I wanted ones that have SS on them as I've seen a few that just say Monte Carlo. I found some on EBAY that are the Jeff Gordon edition and have the SS that I want, and the price is relatively cheap, well affordable anyways, soooooo I go to ebay and click the buy it now and it starts going through the check out process, now keep in mind I looked prior to clicking the buy it now and it stated "may ship to canada" it didn't say that it wouldn't, but when I try to pay it wouldn't allow me to complete the transaction as the seller (which is a business) won't ship to Canada. So I sent the seller an email asking if they could/would ship to Canada, and after about a day and a half I got a response which was "we currently have a problem with our international shipping and cannot ship to Canada, but.... you can go to our website and order from there", now keep in mind that in the message it states from Ebay that you should never complete a transaction with a seller outside of Ebay as you automatically lose any chance of paypal covering a loss, and that Ebay itself actually deems this process as not abiding by Ebay laws.

So my question is, "should I try and pursue purchasing the items?" I have looked at their website and it is designed for cars built prior to 88 and I couldn't find the parts that I was looking for when doing a search as their system wouldn't allow a car of my year to even be input as an option.

If I do decide to see if I can get them, could this cause me being banned from Ebay? I know probably not, but just in case I thought it might be best to ask, as I have never done a transaction outside of Ebay when I have used their site to look for items that I want.

Any help is appreciated.
Ken

Last edited by ohara; 01-25-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You won't get banned from eBay if you buy from the sellers own business site. How would eBay ever know anyway. You can buy from who you choose. And PAYPAL will cover your purchases even if you buy off of eBay. I actually bought some of the Hendrick Motorsport Monte Carlo sills from this seller. They are OEM sills, they don't say anything about JG, only have the 6th gen. Monte Carlo script and a small Hendricks Motorsport badge. They are a plastic and mount with double stick tape. They come rolled up in a box, the price is for one not a pair, so make sure you select 2 in the quantity box.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:53 PM

I would be Leary of that. I have ordered off tons of websites and never had a problem but if you can't find exactly what you want I would keep looking till you find one or keep checking craigslist.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:54 PM

Zippy you got a pic of those? Curious to see the I kinda like my sills but have seen some other cool ones

Old 01-25-2014, 06:58 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Here is a link to them 04 SS/SC

2002 2005 Monte Carlo SS 03 Jeff Gordon Edition NEW Sill Plate Black 88980277 | eBay

Zippy, thats kind of what I was thinking, how could ebay know? But just wanted confirmation sort of thing lol. I noticed they don't say anything about JG on them, which is both good and bad, as I have a JG instrument panel in my car as the original had to be replaced when I had my stereo system installed as they busted one of the lights behind the speedo (I have no clue how they did it, all I know is it worked when I went in to the shop and when I picked it up it didn't) but I like the fact that they have the SS on them, and the price is right

Old 01-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Being from Canada myself. I've run into items where they wont ship to Canada. Very frustrating. I think sometimes it has to do with customs duties and such. But most of the time it's because of the shipping charges. Ebay sellers make their money from shipping charges. Actual shipping costs them $2 (for example), but they'll charge you $10 shipping.

When they have to ship to Canada, the cost of shipping goes up A LOT!!! Suddenly they've lost all their profit margin. So they don't ship to Canada.

I've had sellers in Michigan refuse to sell me an item. Because they wouldn't ship from Michigan to Windsor, Ontario. They tell me to find someone living in the US, they'll ship it to them, and I should drive over and pick it up. No! Not happening!

Old 01-25-2014, 07:36 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
Being from Canada myself. I've run into items where they wont ship to Canada. Very frustrating. I think sometimes it has to do with customs duties and such. But most of the time it's because of the shipping charges. Ebay sellers make their money from shipping charges. Actual shipping costs them $2 (for example), but they'll charge you $10 shipping.

When they have to ship to Canada, the cost of shipping goes up A LOT!!! Suddenly they've lost all their profit margin. So they don't ship to Canada.

I've had sellers in Michigan refuse to sell me an item. Because they wouldn't ship from Michigan to Windsor, Ontario. They tell me to find someone living in the US, they'll ship it to them, and I should drive over and pick it up. No! Not happening!
When I used to ride harley's I would routinely order parts for my bike and have them shipped to a post office box at the border, which is about 15 minutes from my house, and then run over and pick them up and bring them back, but I don't even know if you can get a post office box down there anymore, and it is such as pain in the butt to cross the border nowadays, that and I still haven't gotten around to getting my passport

Old 01-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

I have used eBay for over 13 years now, buying and selling and am pretty familiar with it. If the seller has, which he does good feedback I would trust him at his own store website. I try to buy off of eBay when I can and the seller will usually give me a better price as he does not have to pay eBay fee's and also Paypal fee's. So they cut you a better deal on occassion. Hit him up that way. Used to be sellers on eBay would make additional money from charging excessive shipping rates, as they were not charged ebay fee's against that money. A couple years back eBay changed their policy and now they take a cut of the shipping fee's too in order to discourage this selling a $300 item for $25 and charging $250 shipping, thus avoiding eBay fee's.

And again PAYPAL will cover all your purchases whether you purchase the item off of eBay or another venue.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:20 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04 SS/SC
Zippy you got a pic of those? Curious to see the I kinda like my sills but have seen some other cool ones
Hey bud, here are a couple better photo's of the sills. I like the quality and the price is great, especially considering how hard it is to come across actual sills for our 6th gen. Monte's

Each piece of granite is 12" long

Old 01-25-2014, 08:27 PM

Neat how it has ss but I kinda like my stock ones cuz they go with my red and black theme. Is this what your original looked like?

Quick Reply: EBAY Question