Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Dodge Viper TA vs 2015 Corvette Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:17 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Dodge Viper TA vs 2015 Corvette Z06

Pretty good race!!
"The 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 is the ‘it’ car of the moment, so obviously, everyone wants to see how it stands up to the competition. This time, it’s a Dodge Viper TA — aka, the race version of Dodge’s V10 machine.

Taking a look at the numbers, the Dodge Viper TA has an 8.4-liter V10 with 640 horsepower versus the Corvette’s 6.2-liter V8 with 650 horsepower. The Corvette takes the win on paper with that ten extra horsepower, but that’s not the full story.
The Dodge Viper is actually a lighter car by about 100 pounds, which means it’s actually got a fighting chance in this drag race. A lot of what happens is going to come down to the skills of the driver and how well they manage as the car flies down the track.
Off the line, it looks like the Viper may actually pull out the win since it manages a better launch, but the Corvette driver quickly recovers and catches up."

Old 01-21-2015, 10:04 PM

Even if the performance numbers are close, the Vette is still the better bang for the buck. Base price just over $50k (I get that it's not in the same league as these two cars, but for the majority of people who will just cruise around in them, they'll still get 90% of the experience in basically the same car), Z06 is just under $80k, and a Z06 w Z07 is just under $90k.

The Viper starts at $85k, the TA is about $101k, and the top level GTS is $108k- already a decent spread in price from the Vette. Once you start adding on options ($14k Carbon SE Package, $7500 Laguna interior package, $5k aero package, $2k wheels, $5k stripe package) onto a model like the GTS, you can quickly get up around $150k.

I just think the price point on the Viper is too high. Maybe they do that to keep it semi-exclusive unlike Vettes, but I just think they could sell more if they tried to compete more directly with the Vette price point. Between the two, it seems like the small performance difference has never really made up for the price difference.

If you're buying it for exclusivity, it seems like an odd car to buy to show off. Sure it's a really nice car, but it's still a Dodge. You're never going to impress people like you would with a Lambo, Ferrari, etc - even though you're paying 70% as much- in the end, it's still a Dodge (which is why IMO they did a good thing by trying to show a split between Dodge and SRT). Nothing against the Dodge fans, but IMO it's certainly towards the bottom of the list as a whole when one thinks about prestigious brands.

I don't mean to bash it, I do like some models of Vipers, but I just think they're in an odd spot market wise.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 01-21-2015 at 10:06 PM.