Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you need a new car ?
Yes, I need a new car
0%
Yes, I need one, but I can't afford one
0%
I need a better used car or truck
0%
I'm happy with my Chevy Monte Carlo
66.67%
I don't know, I just don't know..I'm confused (lol)
33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

>> Do you really need a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question >> Do you really need a new car?

Do you really need a new car? Why ?

©

New-car envy. It can creep up anytime. It may snag you at a stoplight when a muscle car or luxury sedan sidles up. Or maybe when the gleaming SUV parked next to you makes the dents in your jalopy all the more obvious.
Get over it.
It’s all too easy to go for the quick fix and trot down to a dealership with checkbook in hand. That might cure your automotive longing—at least until the payments start. But if you calculate your actual costs, buying a new car might be a lousy financial move.
The car you’re driving right now may be a keeper—dings and all. Here’s why: Cars built in the past decade are more reliable than ever. Although the average age of all cars on the road is 11 years, many newer cars will provide trouble-free service for 200,000 miles or more with care.
If your car is only a few years old, hanging on to it will not only free you from a new cycle of monthly payments but also save a bundle in insurance, taxes, and other expenses­—primarily depreciation.
It may be hard to get your head around the idea that shiny new sheet metal is a depreciating asset, but today’s new cars lose 46 percent of their value, on average, in the first three years.
Historically, a draw for a new car is improved fuel economy. But recent low gasoline prices blunt that impact, and even at higher fuel prices, you need to save a lot of money at the pump to make up for those depreciation and sales-tax hits.
There’s one big downside to all of that: Your current ride probably doesn’t have the latest safety and convenience features, and your warranty has probably expired. And no matter how well your car is treating you, even the most reliable models grow more troublesome as they age, as our subscriber surveys have found.
So should you hang on to your old wheels? It depends on a lot of factors,
including the condition of your car and your finances. Think about cost, safety, and connectivity. If your mechanic is spending more time with your car than you do and your repair bills are close to new-car payments, it’s probably time to trade up. Or your car may run well, but rust or collision damage can make it structurally unsound. The only older cars worth keeping are the ones that are reliable and safe.
At a minimum, an older car should have electronic stability control and curtain air bags. Both are lifesavers.
Going with a new car is the best way to get the latest electronic safety gear, such as forward-collision and lane-departure warning systems, as well as features like a blind-spot warning system and a rear backup camera. And only the newest vehicles excel in the latest difficult insurance-industry crash tests.
If you’re looking for the latest electronic convenience and entertainment systems, you’re probably going to want a new car. Some features, such as Bluetooth capability for hands-free calls, can be added to an older car with aftermarket equipment but may lack the integration and ease of use of a factory system. Our look at new-car infotainment systems begins on page 28.
Don’t have the cash for a new car? Buy something almost new. You’ll get some of those desirable new features without spending as much. Just be sure to choose from our list of reliable used cars.
Still can’t make up your mind? Check out our decision tree below.
How much a car with higher mpg will save you

Find the intersection of the fuel economy from your current car with that of the ones you’re considering for potential costs savings per year. For example, If you go from 26 mpg to 34 mpg, you save $239. If you want to trade in for a sportier, less fuel-efficient car, the numbers in red show your added fuel cost.

© Provided by Consumer Reports How much it costs to repair your current car

If your annual repair bills exceed a year’s worth of car payments, then it’s time to start shopping. But even dropping an occasional $1,000 bill to keep an older car running might save you money over buying a new car.

© Provided by Consumer Reports How much value that new car will lose

Cars depreciate significantly over the first few years of ownership, often more rapidly than your monthly payments are paying down the loan—putting you “upside down” financially. The chart below shows typical vehicle depreciation based on the average new-car price.
© Provided by Consumer Reports

© Provided by Consumer Reports Every car should have
  • Antilock brakes (ABS)
  • Electronic stability control (ESC)
  • Curtain air bags
Consider these to be safety basics. Don’t have them now? Buy a new or relatively recent car that has all three.
How to be even safer
  • Forward-collision warning
  • Blind-spot monitoring
  • Lane-departure warning
  • Backup camera
  • A “Good” score in the IIHS small-overlap test
Decision point. Getting a car with most or all of those features will push you toward buying new, especially for nonluxury models. Shop wisely and you can find good late-model used cars that balance features and price. But only the latest designs do well in the difficult small-overlap front crash test from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
Why they’re worth it. Many of today’s high-tech cars work to avoid crashes altogether, warning the driver about hazards and sometimes responding to threats quickly. Advanced systems can automatically slow or completely stop a car. Visibility aids, such as rear cameras and blind-spot monitoring, show what’s around you, helping situational awareness. All things being equal, consider the safest car that you can afford.

© Provided by Consumer Reports Want to listen to custom playlists or Pandora, or use your phone in your car hands-free?
Basics in most new cars
  • USB port for plugging in a phone
  • Bluetooth phone connectivity
Decision point. Almost every recent car has these as standard. You can install an aftermarket Bluetooth kit in your current car, and various audio-system upgrades can add modern features to older factory systems or replace them entirely.
Specialty items
  • Voice commands for selecting audio
  • Built-in navigation
  • Ability to use integrated apps like Pandora or Spotify
Decision point. Getting those features usually requires an aftermarket addition or buying a new car. Voice commands simplify complicated functions; good systems can reduce distraction. Built-in navigation gives you larger screens than on your phone or a portable navigation device, plus it will automatically adjust stereo volume for instructions.
But it’s not just audio and phone features that distinguish new cars. Even some basic cars now offer fancy stuff, like a heated steering wheel or cooled front seats, which were once exclusive to luxury cars. It sounds frivolous, but once you’ve grasped a heated steering wheel on an icy morning, there’s no going back.

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-06-2015 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:02 AM
Question What do you DeSire

Hi Member's,
What new car/truck to you want > desire ?

What would you buy if you won the Lotto ?

Please post/share & add to the activity on the MCF Thanks

Old 03-06-2015, 05:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

The stable is pretty full! My driveway fits 2 cars and I have 3

The Monte Carlo is still the best one and it can not be replaced

I got a 2014 Fusion - it's still pretty new (10,000kms) so its not going anywhere anytime soon

The old '95 Bronco is a hurtin' winter beater and has been on the chopping block for years. It had the body "restored" (I use the word loosely - the body work was terrible) about 5 years ago, but it's still one catastrophic break down away from the wreckers. I blew a tire this season and it's still driving on the full sized spare. All the tires are at least 10 years old, but they seem like too much money to replace. My wife has owned this truck for 18 years, so there is a lot of sentiment there just like I have with all my cars. But I Wouldn't mind replacing it with a newer SUV or crew cab pickup. Or the new Ford GT due out next year

Old 03-06-2015, 05:35 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

What new car/truck to you want > desire ? Happy with my Monte Carlos and too broke to afford anything else at the moment BUT do like the Chevy Colorado truck-Black!!

What would you buy if you won the Lotto ? One Monte Carlo of each generation and plenty of land with a house and huge heated building/s in which to house them/work on them!! Oh yeah, I would build a huge indoor dragstrip!! LOL Racing all year long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY

Old 03-06-2015, 06:07 AM

Thanks 'Brent & Barbara for posting/sharing.

* Barbara, you could move 2 Florida & drag race all year
Your go-to resource for everything involved with the 2015 Amalie Motor Oil NHRA Gatornationals

Scheduled for March 12-15, 2015!

*^ Above is where 'Space & I went to Race (I miss racing 4>Sure<)

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-06-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:13 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

If I did not love my career, I would have already moved South, believe that!!! LOL
I would love to race all year!!
My job is not the only reason. There are two others:
& EWWWWWW

Old 03-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Need a new car? No

Want a new car? Why Yes!

Like the new Buick Grand National

Old 03-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I picked "I don't know I'm confused"

I will never part ways with turbo monte or the ctsv but with seeing the new focus rs it kinda makes me want to dump the focus st for the rs. But then again I would really like to pay everything off so I am debt free within 5yrs and if the 2016 viper acr comes out and comes down in price for a slightly used one buy one of them bad boys..... as I said I just don't know

Old 03-06-2015, 06:56 AM

Hi 'John & Member's & thanks for your posts.

'John, you sure have a stable of Super Rides 4>Sure...I love what U have done to your Caddy (WoW)

I also got 2 drive one of the employee's Ford ST (W0W) what a amazing ride 4 the $'s. He's done a lot of mod's to it, but that little Focus screams... He is also considering the new RS AWD...That's going 2 be a Road Weapon 4>Sure!

I bet the price on the RS is going 2 be HIGH (but it seems everything fast/good is expensive....) Thanks for sharing + all your super posts (I enjoy seeing/reading them 4-Real)

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-06-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Default Mornin all!

Need a new car? noo, want a new car? naa just baught my 2004 grand prix six months ago, but still prefer my lovely MonteIf i won the lottery tomarro, what would i get? ohhh geez i would rebuild my Monte from head to toe. she'd be even better .

Quick Reply: >> Do you really need a new car?