Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

?>Do you like it ? Do you want one >?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question ?>Do you like it ? Do you want one >?

2016 Acura NSX

?>Do you like it ? Do you want one >?
...I like it, but for the $'s, I'd rather have a new Corvette (`Mike)
By Tony Swan

On Sale: Late 2015Expected Pricing: Around $150,000
After three years of auto show teasers testing public response, Acura finally rolled out the production-ready version of the long-awaited NSX supercar at the 2015 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Final shape, final interior, final powertrain.
The exterior design has been refined several times since the first concept was unveiled at the 2012 Detroit show, the culmination of persistent rumors of a revival, even though production of the original ground to a halt in 2005 after a 15-year run.
It’s not unfair to say that the first generation Acura NSX, a brilliant achievement at launch, eventually died of neglect. With the Acura division uncertain about its identity, pursuing development of a very low-volume exotic sports car became a very low management priority.
But even though Acura officially abandoned the NSX, it was never completely forgotten, sustained by the engineers who had created it. So when the management climate thawed to the idea of a revival, the new development team, which was salted with some veterans from the first generation, wanted to make sure there was at least some continuity with the past.
Thus, the new Acura NSX is a mid-engine two-seater, just like the original.
However, that’s just about the only obvious parallel. The engine in the original NSX was a 3.0-liter V6 of rather modest output (270 horsepower), riding sideways behind the cockpit.
NSX number two is a hyper hybrid, with a twin-turbo V6 mounted longitudinally amidships, and augmented by a trio of electric motors, one powering each front wheel, another grafted between the engine and transmission.
The original NSX sent power to the rear wheels via a 6-speed manual transaxle. The generation two transmission is a 9-speed automatic, with manual shifting (via paddles) that can be race car quick, depending on operating mode. There are four: quiet (electric only), sport, sport+, and track.
Total system output: more than 550 horsepower, according to Acura. Curb weight: Acura isn’t saying. The NSX’ s blend of carbon fiber, aluminum, high-strength steel, and composites is aimed at minimizing mass, but this is a substantially bigger car than the 3030-pound original, and we’ll be surprised if the new car weighs less than 3500 pounds.
In terms of styling, the second generation NSX has evolved during each auto show display since its 2012 debut, each revision looking more wicked than the last. An LED light display highlights the production final front end, consistent with illumination on Acura’s RLX and TLX sedans, but the division’s beaky chrome grille theme has mercifully been left out of the design.
The shape has also had extensive aero refinement, obvious at a glance, although Acura refrained from furnishing a coefficient of drag value or downforce numbers.
At about $60,000 in 1990, the NSX was a bargain compared to the Ferrari 348. The second generation has all the hallmarks of a genuine supercar, and when it goes on sale in late 2015 it will wear a supercar price tag, in the mid-$150,000 range, according to a Nissan executive.

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-05-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:47 AM

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-05-2016 at 07:52 AM. Reason: To give you multi choices to view & EnJoy (WoW)
Old 03-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wouldn't be able to afford the insurance on that beast - But I like it

Old 03-05-2016, 08:12 AM
Default Thanks `Tadd

Hi `Tadd, I like it also, but I'd rather have a Corvette for the $'s. Thanks for being the 1st member to post. Yes, Insurance cost has to be high...That's one reason I like the RS new Camaro's over the S.S. Big $ difference + lower insurance rate

Old 03-05-2016, 08:22 AM

I'd rather have the older one. Much cleaner looking.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
Hi `Tadd, I like it also, but I'd rather have a Corvette for the $'s. Thanks for being the 1st member to post. Yes, Insurance cost has to be high...That's one reason I like the RS new Camaro's over the S.S. Big $ difference + lower insurance rate

I got a quote for insurance on the Camaro $1,300 per year (I have clean record too) However there is a $1,000,000 liability limit on it (Suggested buy my financial adviser)

Old 03-05-2016, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
I got a quote for insurance on the Camaro $1,300 per year (I have clean record too) However there is a $1,000,000 liability limit on it (Suggested buy my financial adviser)

Hi `Tadd, thanks for your post & sharing...That's a good price for being a good driver...I was not & my cost for a new Camaro S.S. like yours would cost me 3 or 4 times what you are paying...I have less then one year before my points are off my license...Expensive lesson learned...(I always seem to learn the harm way

**Hi John, I also like the older Honda, but I do like the new version also...They both are just still dream rides for me...Thanks for posting/sharing

Old 03-06-2016, 11:55 AM

I like the styling. I was in Bowling Green Kentuky last summer and watched them build the Corvettes. I really need one of them, and would also go for the Corvette for the money and Made in the USA.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Andrew N
I like the styling. I was in Bowling Green Kentuky last summer and watched them build the Corvettes. I really need one of them, and would also go for the Corvette for the money and Made in the USA.

Thanks `Andrew for your post. Bowling Green Plant & Museum is on my "Dream List"...Would you go back again ?

Old 03-08-2016, 04:55 PM

I think it's a neat car, but I wouldn't have built any if I were them (other tan a prototype or two), and I wouldn't have called it an nsx.

The reason I don't like the nsx name is because it doesn't stay true to the roots of the original. The first one was a more reliable, more budget friendly exotic fighter. They made a lightweight car with enough power to put you within striking distance of the exotic cars of the day.

The new one is comparatively much more expensive, much heavier, and loaded with tech. At that price level, the exotic competition aren't using hybrid powertrains, but are plenty competitive in power numbers. Its hard to compare it to the hybrid exotic hypercars since they're far more expensive with far better performance. I also question reliability with all of the complicated systems (not to mention, the exotics have stepped up their reliability a ton since the 80s/early 90s).

The reason I wouldn't build it is because I don't see it drawing in performance fans to the dealerships. It's not like a vette, where someone comes in to look at it but can't buy it (due to cost or needing more seats), and you can sell him a v8 camaro or a SS. With Honda, they only really sell boring commuter cars now. Acura has a little more performance and a lot more luxury options, but still nothing that someone drooling over an nsx would settle for.

I also think a big competitor here is the gtr which isnt too far off performance wise and can be had for right around the same money. At least nissan has a 370z to sell as a cheaper alternative to those people coming in to drool over a new supercar.

I guess the only thing I could see is that they are trying to break the stigma that driving a hybrid has to be boring, but I just don't see how that translates when you're selling stuff like the crz.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 03-08-2016 at 05:28 PM.