Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Do you have a GPS in your car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Default Do you have a GPS in your car?

I been looking around for one. But I don't know what brand to get. I seengarmin or cobra. I don't know they look the same to me.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Do you have a GPS in your car?

i'm not familiar with these things, i like the ones that go on a fold out screen that come out of your dash a little more than the ones that stick on your dash board

Old 06-22-2007, 09:17 PM

I've triedtwo differentmodels from Garmin. The new one that pretty much fits in the palm of your hand, and an older model that was a larger unit than that one. Both worked fairly well, but didn't seem to have some of the newer developments in smaller towns. Better for vacationing, when you know where you're going is a popular destination and there will be great interest in detours and stops along the way. If you're traveling to a relatives in timbuk2 you might need to plan on using the GPS to get to their city (paper map... 7$...Gas... 75$.... GPS.....600$......... turning intoa ditchinstead of the right street while trying to get your kids to shut up and fighting your wife for the climate controls........priceless)

Dude, lemme save you 600$ Download google earth. Input the destination address. Not only can you SEE the surrounding area, you can point out resturants and such for landmarks. Sure it doesn't take as much thought while driving, but lets be serious. How safe is it to reduce your brain activity behind the wheel? It's like answering/talking on a cellphone while driving. Sure it's handy, and it's a neat gadget, but how much attention can you distribute to other things while driving.

If you have a laptop, with a car outlet power adapter, you can actually get a plugin-thing with a sattelite-radio type antenna, and get GPS on your laptop for MUCH less. Sure you don't get the touchscreen, or bluetooth connectivity, but you can pick these up for 150 or less, and use em with what you already have.

But take it from a serious road-tripper. I've been from Nevada, to Colorado, toMissouri, to Louisana, to Indiana, to Wisconsin, to Minnesota, to Michigan, to Canada, and everywhere in between. Getting lost is half the fun, and much more satisfying to find your way home when you have to do the finding, not some computer chip.

It's probably safer too, instead of doing whatever, you're paying attention to the road, to watch for that sign for your turn-off.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:46 PM

I have Garmin C330...I LOVE IT TO DEATH! it's saved my *** many a time and made life easy. It's a bit corky some times but again...I love it...I didn;'t want some thing crazy but not the base....GO GARMIN! then check how much you wanna spend.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 PM

Now I don't know how all this GPS works and stuff, but Cobra is a big name in CB radios... So I wouldn't think they would come out with some funky GPS system.