Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Denver bans pitbulls!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Default Denver bans pitbulls!!!

This is simply ridiculous. Anybody who owns a pitbull in the city of Denver is in direct violation of a citywide ban on this widely feared breed. While I do agree that they are a dangerous animal when in the wrong hands, there simply isn't any justification for such a law. Do pitt's cause death? Absolutely. Probably the most of any other dog, but take into consideration how popular they are compared to other breeds and the difference in the deaths caused by pitt's compared to other breeds is understandable. I have had a few friends who have had pitt's and they were the pussiest dog's you could ever imagine, but thier appearance was quite intimidating. Just the same, my cousin's husband owned pitt's for fighting purposes and I seen just how viscious they can be. But nevertheless, the facts are that there are other, more troublesome dogs out there. According to a study by The American Canine Foundation, Doberman Pinschers bite 10 times as much as pittbull's.

On top of that, The American Temperament Testing Society evaluated 122 breeds for panic, strong avoidance without recovery and unprovoked aggression. The group found that the American Staffordshire Terrier, a type of banned pit bull in Denver, passed 83.3 percent of the time, just behind the golden retriever (83.6 percent). So what's the problem here? First and foremost, the disproportionate media attention given to pittbulls. A perfect example of this is a case in Detroit of a mauling by a pittbull, this incident was covered by 30 separate national newspapers as well as FOX and CNN news channels. And just two weeks before that, in Detroit as well, the owner of a German Sheppard was mauled to death by his own dog, however this story only ran in the local community newspaper.

I think there is a gross negligence on the part of lawmakers to ban an entire breed of dog. You simply can't say a certain breed is the problem, it's the owners that are the problem, so punish the owners with jail time and loss of thier dog should it bite or kill somebody. And not just pittbull owners, all dog owners.

Yes, I feel very strongly about this and I don't even own a pitt, but it's just not right. Discuss

Old 07-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Default RE: Denver bans pitbulls!!!

You simply can't say a certain breed is the problem, it's the owners that are the problem, so punish the owners with jail time and loss of thier dog should it bite or kill somebody.
I think this statement sums it all up. I've had numerous buddies that have had this breed of dog and your right, dogs that are taught to be mean will be.

Old 07-24-2005, 06:54 PM

I wish there was something the community could do to reverse that stupid legislation. I'd be pissed if my dog were to get confiscated for no reason other than what breed it is. Isn't that a form of discrimination?

Old 07-25-2005, 01:50 PM

Thats messed up, my friends have Pitts and they are so nice, like you said up top its the owners that form the way a Pitt is.

Old 07-25-2005, 07:54 PM

i have met pits that are friendlier than my dog and my dog is a sissy!! thats awful....[:@]

Old 07-26-2005, 04:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Ca$$e

Thats messed up, my friends have Pitts and they are so nice, like you said up top its the owners that form the way a Pitt is.
From what I have read since, it's a knee jerk reaction to a recent mauling of a little child. Apparently Denver banned pittbulls back in the 80's but I guess the law was never really enforced. So they reinstated said law after this recent incident. This is a good reason why I can't stand politicians.

Old 07-26-2005, 11:52 AM

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

ORIGINAL: Ca$$e

From what I have read since, it's a knee jerk reaction to a recent mauling of a little child. Apparently Denver banned pittbulls back in the 80's but I guess the law was never really enforced. So they reinstated said law after this recent incident. This is a good reason why I can't stand politicians.
Knee Jerk is about right!!!!

I'd be willing to bet more people have died from snake bites vs a pit bull..

Old 07-27-2005, 04:26 AM

ORIGINAL: montejass

Knee Jerk is about right!!!!

I'd be willing to bet more people have died from snake bites vs a pit bull..

That'd be an interesting fact to know.

I liken the publics false sense of security due to DRL's to thier false sense of security from maulings attributed to dogs. Yes, pitts most likely cause the most deaths compared to other breeds, but they are far less of a menace than the media will have us believe. Anything pittbull related gets so damn sensationalized it's sickening.

Old 07-30-2005, 04:57 PM

This is madness!! I've discovered her that another city or county in the US is banning pit bulls! I live in Dade County where unfortunately pits are banned. I own a pit mix. A certain incident happened that my parents had to take dog to the Animal Control. Thankfully the animal control officers and a vet determined that he's not aggressive! And they did a test to determined of what percentage of pit or something he has. Features, etc. Fortunately he was spared and they the folks at the Animals Control determined he was close to being put down. All I can say is that I'm fortunate that I have a pit mix that is sweet to people, including kids when mom and I take him to the vet. He was even corporative when Taz was at the Animal Control!

And constantly you have to keep telling people! It's bad owners that make dogs aggressive!! And the fool politicians here didn't do enough research. And seems like our northern neighbor, Broward County will probably soon look into banning. Recently they have had a lot of pit bull attacks.

Old 07-31-2005, 05:01 AM

Rotts are next

Quick Reply: Denver bans pitbulls!!!