Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Defensive Driving - 101

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Defensive Driving - 101

Updated:2007-02-05 15:43:01
Defensive Driving 101 [sm=crossbonesgif.gif]
[sm=devilgrin.gif]
Why defensive driving is so important [sm=devilgrin.gif]
By BENGT HALVORSON

Defensive driving means that you're on guard and ready for what might happen -- cautious, yet ready to take action and not put your fate in the hands of other irresponsible drivers.[sm=crossbonesgif.gif] According to National Safety Council data,77 percent of all accidents are attributed to driver error. If you become a good, defensive driver,YOU can cut that percentage significantly.

Here are some important elements of defensive driving:

Allow enough space ahead. Four out of 10 accidents involve rear-end collisions, many of which could have been avoided by simply following at a safe distance rather than tailgating. You should allow at least two seconds between your vehicle and the car ahead of you. That gap should be lengthened to three seconds at highway speeds and four or more in rain or other poor weather conditions.

Look ahead. Scan the road and the surrounding area at least a few hundred yards ahead for potential road hazards. Look around on both sides, and keep your eyes open for approaching vehicles, pedestrians, or animals that might enter your path.

Have an escape route. Check your mirrors every few seconds to see what's beside and behind you. Taking into account the position of the cars around you and the road ahead, decide where you could maneuver safely to avoid an accident. Having an avoidance route is essential. If you don't -- say, if the road is narrow and there's no shoulder -- you need to increase your following distance.

Don't depend on other drivers. [sm=crossbonesgif.gif]Be considerate of others, but look out for yourself. Don't assume that another driver is going to move out of the way or allow you to merge. Plan your movements anticipating the worst-case scenario.

Keep your speed down. Remember that the posted speed limit applies to ideal conditions. You're responsible for decreasing your speed to match the conditions.

Adjust for hazards. By slowing down or speeding up only slightly, or by moving to a different lane position, you may avoid a potentially hazardous situation.

Avoid frequent lane changes. Try to maintain a speed near that of the flow of nearby traffic. Remember your lane discipline and keep right unless passing. Remember to check the blind spot before making a lane change, too.

Use lights and signals. Turn your headlights on in dim daylight, rain, or other low-visibility weather conditions, and remember to always use turn signals. For expressway driving, we also believe that, when still at a distance, a quick blink of the flash-to-pass feature on your headlights is far safer than the tailgating or the aggressive right-lane passing that often otherwise results. If you're in town, direct eye contact and gentle gestures might help clear any doubts over who has the right of way.

Keep a proper driving position. Maintain a comfortable, upright driving position, with both hands on the steering wheel (preferably at the nine- and three-o'clock positions). This will put you in a better position to make sudden avoidance maneuvers.

Wear your seat belt. It's still the best thing you can do to protect yourself in case the unexpected happens. It's hard to believe there are still those who don't buckle up, even though seat belt use rates have never been higher.

Cut out distraction. Any time you become preoccupied with distractions, you're letting your defenses up. As always, minimize your eating, drinking, CD-changing, and cell phone conversations. Save them for when you're stopped in a safe place.

[b]It's all about the atti

Old 02-06-2007, 09:37 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Defensive Driving - 101

[sm=feedback.gif]
Add your Defensive Driving Tips [/align]Here's a Tip: Stay Off the Roads if SpaceRider is out there Driving[sm=goodidea.gif][/align]Updated:2007-01-24 17:07:24[/align]Drivers by Sign What's your sign ?[/align][/align]By NAOMI KIM, from Canada[/align]

TORONTO, Dec 13 (Reuters Life!) - Never mind how careful you are behind the wheel or how long you've been driving, the signs of the zodiac may be bigger factors behind your ability to avoid car crashes -- or why you have too many.

According to a study by InsuranceHotline.com, a Web site that quotes drivers on insurance rates, astrological signs are a significant factor in predicting car accidents.(I think they do drugs : )

The study, which looked at 100,000 North American drivers' records from the past six years, puts Libras (born Sept. 23-Oct. 22) followed by Aquarians (Jan. 20-Feb. 18) as the worst offenders for tickets and accidents

Best to Worst
Best to Worst Drivers' Astrological Signs for Tickets & Accidents[*]1. Leo[*]2. Gemini[*]3. Cancer[*]4. Virgo[*]5. Capricorn[*]6. Sagittarius[*]7. Taurus[*]8. Scorpio[*]9. Pisces[*]10. Aries[*]11. Aquarius[*]12. Libra
[ol][/ol]
[ul][/ul]
Leos (July 23-Aug. 22) and then Geminis (May 21-June 20) were found to be the best overall.

"I was absolutely shocked by the results," said Lee Romanov, president of Toronto-based InsuranceHotline.com, who also wrote the book 'Car Carma' which touches on the correlation between astrological signs and driving ability while doing the study.

Romanov originally wanted to have some fun by examining astrological signs as a possible cause for the variance between insurance companies quoting high and low rates but didn't expect to find anything interesting.

"Now, changing postal codes is far less significant to me than drivers of certain astrological signs," she told Reuters on Wednesday.

Even age, another variable for determining insurance rates, is less of a consideration to Romanov. The cutoff line for being considered a higher risk driver is 24 years of age; 25-year-olds are considered not-high risk.

"I'd rather get into a car with a 24-year-old Leo than a 25-year-old Aries," Romanov said.

Horoscopes[/align]
Want to know more about your Horoscope?[*]AOL Horoscopes
[ol][/ol]
[ul][/ul]
Leos, described along with the study results on InsuranceHotline.com/a10.html, are "generous, and comfortable in sharing the roadway."

Aries, on the other hand, "have a 'me first' childlike nature that drives Aries into trouble."

"I wasn't believing in it before," said Romanov, "but I would think twice before getting into a car with an Aries." [sm=burnout.gif]or that character SpaceRider : )
[sm=gears.gif]I gett'in outa here. This Space Guy needs some sleep : ) Be Safe on your highways of life. Peace-Out : )

Old 02-06-2007, 01:16 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I fall under the best driver according to this study WooHoo Go Leo!!!
I guess it is true, I have gotten pulled over once in my 20 years of driving and never have been involved in an accident. (I did get tapped from the back when I was stopped at a red light though - but I wouldn't count that)

Old 02-06-2007, 02:39 PM

Me too..... and my daughter.....
I have been driving since the early 70's
One speeding ticket.... and it was on a Sunday going to Chruch because we were running a little late
That happened in the late 90's.....
When the cop pulled me over, I said
So this is what a speeding ticket looks like.....

Old 02-06-2007, 03:14 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Look ahead. Scan the road and the surrounding area at least a few hundred yards ahead for potential road hazards. Look around on both sides, and keep your eyes open for approaching vehicles, pedestrians, or animals that might enter your path.

Something most female drivers do, do never scan surrounding areas. women seem to get tunnel vision behind the wheel? All they see is straight ahead and no where else?

I live at a busy interesection. In the warmer months when I'm out mowing grass I do a little survey as to who runs the stop signs the most? Men or women? Women win this hands down. I realize my study can be considered a bit bias afterall I am a guy.

"TORONTO, Dec 13 (Reuters Life!) - Never mind how careful you are behind the wheel or how long you've been driving, the signs of the zodiac may be bigger factors behind your ability to avoid car crashes -- or why you have too many.

And here I thought what you had for lunch was a bigger deterimining factor?

Aries, on the other hand, "have a 'me first' childlike nature that drives Aries into trouble."

Guess which one I fall into? [sm=guilty.gif][sm=imsmilin.gif]

Old 02-06-2007, 07:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Oh, oh, Leo here.[sm=gears.gif]

Old 02-06-2007, 11:28 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

ORIGINAL: rj

Something most female drivers do, do never scan surrounding areas. women seem to get tunnel vision behind the wheel? All they see is straight ahead and no where else?

I live at a busy interesection. In the warmer months when I'm out mowing grass I do a little survey as to who runs the stop signs the most? Men or women? Women win this hands down. I realize my study can be considered a bit bias afterall I am a guy.

"TORONTO, Dec 13 (Reuters Life!) - Never mind how careful you are behind the wheel or how long you've been driving, the signs of the zodiac may be bigger factors behind your ability to avoid car crashes -- or why you have too many.

And here I thought what you had for lunch was a bigger deterimining factor?

Guess which one I fall into? [sm=guilty.gif][sm=imsmilin.gif]

RJ, I guess I'm the exception to the women theory LOL. I totally am aware of my surroundings - I don't trust any of the nut job drivers around my area. Nobody pays attention around here!!!!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:06 AM

personally i drive offensively LOL

Old 02-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

hey, im a cancer. and i consider myself a good driver

i'm a very safe driver...i'm always watching the other cars on the road...especially when i'm on the highway and people dont watch where they're going when they change lanes or anything...

thats the most anoying thing...to have people pull infront of you on the highway without a blinker and when your right there...and then they slow down!! grr!! lol

Old 02-08-2007, 03:10 PM
rj
15 Year Member

i'm a very safe driver...i'm always watching the other cars on the road...especially when i'm on the highway and people dont watch where they're going when they change lanes or anything...

Wiz Kidd,
You can be the safest driver there was was and still get hit. I know.

I got hit head on nov 29, 2000 by a woman out Christmas shopping. I was driving a bright red car and the sun was shinning. How could she NOT see me? Made no difference she still pulled right into me.

On sept 9, 2004 I was setting waiting on the oncoming traffic and got rear ended by a woman with one arm. I suspect she was on her cell and couldn't manouver her car? But it sentme to the hospital in a helicopter.Bythe time I got to the local hospital I couldn't use my left arm. I couldn't grasp with my hand or liftmy arm. So they stuck me in a helicopter and sent me to a larger hospital.

Just last week the second accident was settled.

But I stilltake a pain pill, a nerve pill, and a muscle relaxer 4 times a day. And I have to take a sleep aide to sleep.

AwsomeSS,
I'm sure you are a good driver. I wasn't trying to "Sound like a man" bywhat I posted. I just know a lot of women when they drive tend to have tunnel vision. All they see is what's straight ahead and nothingelse. Put the kidsin the back, give hera cell phone and things get worse. But this can happen to anyone. Male or female.