Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Continental Divide Trip

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Continental Divide Trip

Been back from the trip now for about 7 weeks, whew seems like a distant memory now. Yet we were on the trail for almost 9 weeks from Aug. 5th to Oct. 9th. I was really in over my head, my conditioning was not what it needed to be, but that would soon pass. I was invited by my friend Bill due to another guy bailing out so there was a slot on the permit open. The first 2 weeks I kicked myself for saying yes, and then again later as the fires and weather dogged us. Our journey started at the head of the Rio Grande river in Colorado We carried enough stripped down rations to get to the next waypoint and you used up every calorie as you only have the proteins, carbs and electrolytes. I packed some Jolly Ranchers but not much else, it was pack as light as you can. Split the 3lb tent up with your partner, 2.5lb sleeping bag, 4lb pack, wet weather gear, misc warm clothing, lights and water. then your trying to do 20 plus miles a day.

The San Juan moutains are brutal, the Divide pass at 14,000 ft ws torturous. We were turned around and diverted from fire areas. This was a unexpected hardship as we now had to circumnavigate and bypass fairly huge swaths of the trail, then work our way back over to again pick up the trail. You ever see 6 people trying to hitch hike? We ended up separating to increase our chances of getting a ride. The Forest service was prohibited from giving us rides to, it was no picnic walking forest service roads mile after mile.... Some areas of private property and not having permits due to diverting we had to walk paved roads forever which sucked.
Once we were properly in the Rockies we had our first injury, Roger jacked up his knee and ankle to where it looked like an egg growing under his skin. His wife Kim and him were left to make their way out as we continued on. The scenery was stunning, beautiful, magnificent and yet I could have cared less. I literally kept my head down and plugged along following the others. I was so exhausted from lack of food and the altitude effected me to where I was dry heaving and even out right tossing my cookies day after day. I wanted this trip to be over so bad. the only good thing here was the water was now plentiful and we only carried about a quart or so. yeah!! less weight. The nights began to get very cold at that elevation and I started sleeping with my clothes on in Marmot Helium15 degree bag. I sustained injuries to my legs from sliding down a ice field and into the abyss. I was hobbled for a couple weeks from this.I had blisters on my blisters from wet socks, breaking in new boots 2 times.
About 6 weeks into the trip as we left Colorado, Paul and Derek left as they had to get back to work. Bill and I continued into Wyoming past the Grand Tetons and into Yellowstone. We made it into the remote back country where we pulled the plug and ended our trip. Let me tell you back there the Elk scared the hell out of you coming into your camp at night. I literally was in fear at times they were that close and stomping around, it's pitch black and you can't even see your hand in front of your face. They are calling out and being quite obnoxious. Bill slept with ear plugs in, yet I was ready to crawl out of my skin, always on alert for sounds of what I imagined to be bears and such. One night I heard a close noise, sat up turned on my headlight to catch what I believed to be a brown bears tail end running into the shadows. Rangers had warned us about bears. They would smell your cooking, tooth paste etc. and want to investigate. We would cook our food about 3pm, clean up everything and then travel for another 2 hours before making camp. The Wolves of Yellowstone howling at night is probably the most beautiful part of the trip to me. So wild and mournful. We had had enough, it was becoming extremely cold and we felt we had come far enough.

Almost 1,000 miles give or take a few. I went through 2 pairs of boots and was on my third, about 10 pairs of wool socks, 3 pairs of shorts. What an odessey....... wanted to have more pictures, we were supposed to share pictures, Roger had a GoPro with video to pass along. I ruined a couple flash cards from water. Will upload some more if anyone is interested, these are a few from me. Anyway I'm home and was so happy to be back in a normal bed. Now it's been nothing but chaos as I too am trying to catch up on my work load, working 7 days a week it seems most weeks. Actually finally have this weekend off. Yeah!! Now Bill wants to take us all on the PAcific Coast trail this summer... I think I won't answer my phone to him should he call about that time....... LOL Hope everyone had a productive summer with the car shows and modifying your Monte's. See some new members here now, welcome all... My Monte even though covered was still filthy, had a dead battery, 2 low tires. Spent a little time trying to get her back into shape. These past 2 weeks had my Monte's seats redone, just got them back today. See my other thread about them. Anyway take care, glad to be back and will be on the forum more regualry now... take care.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 11-30-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:27 AM

WoW `Greg,
What human beings will `do to test themselve WoW.
What a great adventure that your endured to experience the challenges and beauty of nature.

Welcome back to your Monte Carlo Family & thank you for posting & sharing your experience (plus pictures) that reflect the pains & also the beauty...I hope that you have more pictures to share with us....Thank You