Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>Consumer Report: 2016 Camaro SS + more<

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 09:23 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up >Consumer Report: 2016 Camaro SS + more<

Hi Member's,
I think the below is the closest GM vehicle that we can get that's close to a new Monte Carlo (?) Do you like it ? Do you want one ? Post & let us know ? One of our member's is getting one & will let us know all about it (`Tadd) * Check out the below for more topic's that may interest you >EnJoy<
2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS

© Provided by Consumer Reports
With a profile that harkens back to the original 1967 Chevrolet Camaro, the all-new sixth-generation car looks immediately familiar, marking a slight styling evolution over the outgoing model. Despite advances in powertrain and platform, several shortcomings carry forward.
RESEARCH

We purchased a 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS to test this reborn muscle car. Sticker price started at $41,300 and rose to $47,020 as we piled on options, such as magnetic ride control, power sunroof, dual-mode exhaust, and Chevrolet MyLink audio system. Appearance extras further padded the price, such as the Garnet Red Tintcoat paint, black Chevrolet emblems, and 20-inch black wheels. But those cosmetics add both class and attitude.
At a glance, the new Camaro may appear to be the result of a cosmetic makeover, but it is now based on the Alpha rear-drive platform that underpins the Cadillac ATS and its dimensions are a bit smaller. This mechanical pedigree gets the coupe off to a good start. Reduced weight, revised suspension, and the adjustable shocks create a ride unlike any muscle car buyer’s expectations. The Camaro feels much more like a fine European sport sedan than anything a shopper may be trading in.
Recommended for you: Gallery of Camaro's | motoroso.commotoroso.com/Camaro | Sponsored

Go ahead & jump in and take it for a ride >WoW Wee's
Likewise, the Camaro vanquishes the notion that muscle cars are designed purely for running in a straight line. Here is a car that loves twisties, rewarding the driver with a planted body and quick turn-in response. The steering has decent feedback, depending on the driving mode, ranging from mild Touring to heavier Track modes. The ride skews firm and connected, masking bumps well.
Three engines are offered, including a turbocharged 275-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder and 335-hp, 3.6-liter V6. The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS packs a Corvette-sourced 6.2-liter V8 with 455 horsepower and 455 lb.-ft. of torque. As the horsepower wars wage on over the decades, today’s Camaro V8 bests the base eight-cylinder offerings from its crosstown rivals, Dodge Challenger and Ford Mustang.
The power is put to great effect with the six-speed manual in our test car. The shifts are swift, aided by short throws. Clutch is relatively low effort, making driving in traffic easier than with some other high-horsepower cars. Active rev matching, controlled via steering wheel paddles, can help transform a casual driver into a pro, while enhancing the soundtrack in the process.
Copious power is readily available, even without chasing the right cog for the situation. Tip into the throttle, and the Camaro pulls fiercely from nearly any gear. Downshift, and it becomes a veritable road rocket—as one would expect from the most powerful Camaro SS in Chevrolet history. Around town, the Camaro has a muted rumble from the exhaust that turns to a roar under hard acceleration.
Dynamically, the Camaro is a real delight. However, the packaging still suffers from overt flaws that may turn away some buyers. Visibility remains atrocious, making it hard to see stoplights, to view cars at its flanks, and to spot obstacles when backing up. Plus, the narrow side glass makes the car feel as if the roof has been crushed. Fortunately, it includes a rear backup camera, along with parking assist and rear cross-traffic alert—all systems you need with this coupe.
The driver’s space is decidedly intimate for a sizeable car. The bolstered sport seats are comfortable, but we were dismayed that there was no lumbar adjustment in a car of this heady price. Further, the driver’s right leg is crammed against the transmission tunnel. And head room is non-existent, having us wish we bought a model without the moonroof. Wearing a helmet is out of the question. In fact, there’s barely room for a comb over for some drivers. The rear seat remains vestigial, with limited people-toting ability. (If you want a muscle car with passenger space, look to the Chevrolet SS or Dodge Challenger.)
But the cabin is relatively quiet and refined, looking far less toy-like than the previous model. The Chevy MyLink infotainment system is graphically pleasing and intuitive to use. However, its screen tilts down slightly, presumably to better shield it from sun reflections. As a result, it looks like it is melting awkwardly forward. The interior door handle is also positioned at a strange angle, making operation uncomfortable. Temperature adjustments are hidden in the vent bezels, and the dash vents are positioned unusually low.
Trunk space remains tight, with an unusual opening size that would limit the Camaro’s functionality for warehouse store runs.
Based on the break-in miles thus far, the Camaro's acceleration, ride, and handling all shine bright. But the packaging limitations may turn off some buyers and warrant consideration from all would-be owners.
We look forward to completing the testing, when the weather warms up.
More from Consumer Reports:

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 02-24-2016 at 09:32 AM. Reason: 2 correct my mistakes & wish U a `Happy
Old 02-24-2016, 09:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good read BBMike! I will get an e-mail tomorrow from GM informing me of the progress on "Wild Thing". Getting really excited here, this is definitely the most technically advanced, and powerful car I have ever owned, and I have owned a Z28 and a Vette.

Thankful that we are in a position that I can get this retirement car. My daughter's 1st response when she found out was "Dad really? Your crazy!" Now she is anxious for us to drive it out to Kansas and let her take it for a spin.

I have read that some of the power stats have come in very comparable if not exceeding the Corvette (based on who did the review and of course model of Corvette).
There is a break-in period of 1,500 miles where you are to keep the car under 80 mph and 4,000 RPM and drive at variable speeds, also break in procedure for the Brembo brakes (ya I already downloaded the owner's manual lol)

Best yet the wife is excited about it too!

Last edited by Tadcaster; 02-24-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:36 AM
Thumbs up If you work hard ? Dreams can come true

Hi `Tadd,
Thanks for your post & update. The more I read about the new Camaro's, the more that I like them. I like the new style & even the handicap of the view problems. I've read reports that it 's e.z. to adapt after you adjust to driving it. I hope when yours gets to the dealership that no one drives it. I would let them know that you want to be there and go with any service personnel that may have to drive it for delivery purposes. You wouldn't want someone like me to test drive it 4-Sure. I'd melt your back tires & do harm to your new clutch/trans & engine . It's wise to break a new car in correctly & it's important for long term reliability. I think many new owners can't resist the temptations and get out and go crazy with high rev's and hard stops and do damage that maybe not appear right away, but in the long term

I also think it's going to be hard or difficult for you to control the urge (lol) to really get on it. I hope that you have gained the wisdom of age ? >LOL > What's that ? >

Best yet the wife is excited about it too!
& I know that you are really excited & I know what can happen when a couple gets together that are excited Be careful, you don't want to have a panic attack or heart attack

Really happy for you `Tadd & I know that you have worked hard to be getting your dream ride. Look forward to all your updates...
Thanks for sharing

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 02-24-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:17 PM