Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

City Miles or Highway Miles ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default City Miles or Highway Miles ?

[align=center][/align][align=center]My grandfather says he would rather have a Monte Carlo[/align][align=center]that was driven 40,000 miles on the Interstate, then[/align][align=center]a Monte that was driven 20,000 miles in Stop & Go[/align][align=center]City traffic.[/align][align=center]* Both Monte's maintained the same - Same[/align][align=center]make/model/year: ) only difference is miles.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Which would you choose ?[/align][align=center]Click above poll...Thanks.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]State your reasons why `ok.....thanks, again : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

Old 08-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Default RE: City Miles or Highway Miles ?

From my experience in the trucking industry (military trucking, that is) The engine does a lot less work to Start, bring itself to a highway speed for 4-5 hours and stop, then it does having to stop and acellerate very few minutes. Easier on the engine, the tranny, and most important to us trucker-types, the brakes.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Tough choice Space, once car is "in warranty, the other is "out of warranty."

You know how to make things tough.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:44 AM

I would think anyone would choose the 40k highway over the 20k city. The problem is, if you are buying a used vehicle, the 20k on the odometer sure has the psycological effect on the buyer. And really, unless you actually knew the person responsible for the miles on it, you are at the mercy of the salesman, and we all know, their word is gospel.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: Revitupfaster

I would think anyone would choose the 40k highway over the 20k city. The problem is, if you are buying a used vehicle, the 20k on the odometer sure has the psycological effect on the buyer. And really, unless you actually knew the person responsible for the miles on it, you are at the mercy of the salesman, and we all know, their word is gospel.
Rev,

My mechanic also tells me that cars that run long highway hours have ball joints and other steering parts that bad quickly because of extended periods over dips and joints and pot holes.

I have a Dodge Van that I use for my company that travels from coast to coast quite frequently.

We have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on ball joints, ty-rods, rotors, shocks, etc.

Even though the engine is in top shape because of highway miles, the underpinnings of the van are totally ruined because of the long miles.

Just to let you all know, there are major disadvantages of putting in highway miles.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:58 PM

Well, chassy parts are usually cheaper than engine parts... not as much to remove to replace em.

I like highway miles cars because you can see, or feel what needs to be replaced.... bad engine wear can only be found with a good compression test or taking off the oil pan... Which I can't-or at least wouldn't-do, lol.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

thats definetely a tough choice...one thing the one car has half the milage...i'd probably take the one with 20,000 miles on it because it has less...but the one with 40,000 on it is probably in better shape

Old 08-28-2007, 12:08 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've been told over the years about buying cars with highway miles on them being better buys cause of the less stress of stop n go traffic.

You also have to remember driving at high speeds usually means more heat. Heat in an engine or trans is it's enemy.

Like Wiz Kidd (Josh) posted it's a tough call which car is better.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:57 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]The Auto Repair Guys Say:[/align][align=center]Ask a GM Mechanic ?

Which Is Better: City Or Highway Miles?

Q. Hello, I always hear about how highway driving is a lot better than city driving for a car, but I was just wondering, because I'm constantly on the freeway or the tollway, if consistent high speed driving on a car is bad for it, or what the ideal speed is to run a car at to minimize negative effects on the car.

I have a 2003 Monte Carlo SS, with high miles, over 130,000, if that makes any difference at all.[/align][align=center]Thanks a lot![/align][align=center]James Cain
[/align]
[align=center]A. I was once asked why cars can go 100 to 130 mph when it is nowhere near legal to do so. And the reason is a large part of the answer to your question.[/align][align=center]An engine is designed to cruise at speeds of 50 to 70 mph. This speed is in the mid-range of the engines capabilities. If the engine was given a maximum speed of 50 to 70 mph, and you cruised at that speed, the engine would be working extremely hard and it's life would be significantly shortened.
By cruising in the mid-range, the engine working a lot easier. It's like a person can walk a lot further then he can run.
I don't believe there is an "ideal" speed. There are too many variables involved, road conditions, weather and driving habits.

Highway driving is better on engines than city driving. On the highway you are going at a steady speed, oil pressure is higher so internal engine parts are better protected and engine temperature is stable. Transmissions last longer since they don't shift as often. Transmissions only wear when they shift. As a side effect, brakes last longer simply because you go so many miles between brake applications.

On the other hand, city driving is tough on cars. You are constantly accelerating and decelerating. The transmission is constantly shifting up and down which accelerates wear and the engine idles lower reducing oil pressure and causing more wear on internal engine parts. You use your brakes more often so they will wear out quicker as well.

I guess it would be like a person standing still, then running full speed only to slow down and stop a short time later, and repeating this all day.
In short, engines like to cruise in their mid-range and will do that all day long.

[:-]
Ok, post your comments.
I agree with the above [/align]