Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Christmas Pet Health/Safety Dangers!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Christmas Pet Health/Safety Dangers!

I thought I would post this so everyone's pets (CATS, DOGS, especially PUPPIES, KITTENS) can be safe this holiday season, also because 2 days ago my friend almost lost his cat from eating the artificial/fake tree/garland/wreath needles. $2000 later, she is still in recovery. They took out a HUGE mass of them that was causing a blockage.

Christmas can be a scary time for pets, who can't resist the tree and other holiday plants, many of which are poisonous such as mistletoe,holly, and poinsettias. Toxicity of holiday plants varies from mild to extreme. The level of poisoning (illness) is also related to amount of the plant ingested.

Christmas Trees
Christmas trees are considered to be mildly toxic. The fir tree oils can irritating to the mouth and stomach, causing excessive drooling or vomiting. The tree needles are not easily digested either; possibly causing GI irritation, vomiting, gastrointestinal obstruction or puncture.
Even though the question refers to "live" trees, artificial trees/garland/wreaths etc. are also dangerous when eaten. The principal things to worry about are toxin release from the artificial material and intestinal obstruction (not digestible).

The amount of trouble depends on how much is consumed. Many times, pets don't consume mass quantities of tree material, but sometimes they do.
I would recommend confining your pets away from the tree when you are not home. This will allow you to be able to "supervise" any tree or plant eating activity. Other plants, such as Mistletoe, Poinsettias and Holly are also poisonous.

What to look for
If your pet has chewed on the Christmas tree or other plants, monitor for any changes of behavior (excessive licking, salivating), appetite, activity, water consumption, vomiting and diarrhea.
Additional tree safety concerns
While we are on the subject of Christmas trees, also consider the tree water. Preservatives, pesticides, fertilizers and other agents, such as aspirin, are commonly used in the tree water to keep the tree fresh. These may have harmful or deadly consequences for cats and dogs (and children) who drink the water! A covered tree water dish is the safest.
Christmas lights, on the tree and elsewhere in the home also pose a hazard to curious pets. Chewing on cords and lights will cause electric shocks and burns in the mouth. Check cords regularly for signs of chewing and general wear and tear. If you notice that your pet is reluctant to eat, drooling or showing signs of a painful mouth (i.e. not wanting to play with regular toys) be sure to rule out electrical burns in addition to dental and other diseases.
Holiday ornaments and tinsel also pose a risk. Ingestion of ornaments can cause gastrointestinal blockage or rupture. Depending on what materials were used to make the ornament, toxicity may result if ingested.

Be careful and have a safe and happy holiday season!

Last edited by Montelicious; 12-06-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

luckally my cat is to preoccupied licking the plastic box from my seatcovers to like gnawing on the tree, lol friggin crackhead animal

still good info too keep in mind though, thanks!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 AM

I hope more get to see this to read it....I hope it doesn't get buried in the threads...

Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for the information! We have a fake tree here at my house, but we have considered getting a real tree one year just for the heck of it and I have a cat. The fake tree is the closest thign to the wild she has ever seen. A real tree would make her go nuts, I'm sure.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:54 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Cats love tinsel. They will eat it if allowed.

I know I've heard more then one person laugh cause they thought it funny their cat couldn't digest the tinsel eaten and it came out the other end intact.

If you love your pet (even dogs eat weird things) please protect them.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:10 AM

Oh yeah RJ, thanks for mentioning the tinsel.....I will add that to the list of dangers. Whether you have real or artificial tree it is VERY DANGEROUS for your pet if they ingest the needles. Be aware!