Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you like the `Niva
Yes, I'd buy one
0%
NO > NO > NO
33.33%
I'd have to see it & drive it first
50.00%
If it only had a V8 Corvette Engine (lol)
16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

>Chevy `NIVA ?<

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question >Chevy `NIVA ?<

1/13

Chevrolet Niva Concept: First Look
Why this off-road, Russia-only Chevy concept should come to America ? MCF Member's (?) Do you like `it ? Let us know `OK

By Alex Lloyd August 27, 2014 4:39 PM Motoramic

. View gallery

Chevrolet Niva Concept

Learn More About
2014 Nissan JUKE

• $ 19,170
    MSRP
    hp
  • 27 city
    32 hwy
The Chevrolet Niva, a mini-SUV produced as a joint venture between GM and Russian automaker AvtoVAZ, is a beige little ute based on a Lada. It's an incredibly boring car in current form, but the next generation Niva concept unveiled today ahead of the Moscow auto show is a strong enough idea to make us wonder why Chevy hasn't tried something like this over here.
Even if you ditch the concept-y winch up front, knobbly tires, off-road snorkel and roof rack featuring enough lights to illuminate Norilsk, the new Niva still manages to look far more aggressive than the standard compact ute. If the Niva went into production with the same purposeful stance, it could be quite appealing to younger buyers. But regardless, it's only for Russian consumption.
In the United States, Chevy will soon scratch the mini-SUV itch with the Chevy Trax -- a small crossover originally designed for Europe that's currently making the rounds in Mexico and Canada. While not an inherently bad car, GM calls it a "youth-focused" vehicle. Having sampled it, the Trax offers a lukewarm addition to a segment filled with quirky fare like the Nissan Juke and Kia Soul. So why, I ask, would a young, hip buyer want a Trax?
Back to the Niva concept: this rugged little shoebox is precisely what a buyer of that description might desire -- something fun, different and, yes, practical. If it came with, say, the concept-style off-road tires, it might blend the niche between folks that think the Juke is too weird and despise frogs, and those that find a Jeep Wrangler too adventurous and have never heard of Deadmau5.
The last time Chevy had a youth-focused off-roader in its dealerships? The Chevy Tracker, now more than a decade gone. Bring this new Niva to America at a starting price of around $20,000, and, maybe, Chevy would have a nice little winner for the average millennial. Because, let's be honest, my grandma would drive a Trax. This way, you're catering to both parties.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool Pic's, just 4 U (LOL) EnJoy

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 09-01-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I kind of like the look of it actually. But I would probably buy a truck if I wanted something for off-roading.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

At first glance it reminds me of a mercedes suv, I used to own a Honda CRV and honestly it was a great all around vehicle, but realistically for off roading, I wouldn't bother with it as it just didn't have the power to get you out of things if you were in too deep.

I would have to see one in real life before actually making the decision

Old 09-02-2014, 09:14 AM

Thanks Zach, `Ken & Member's that viewed & or voted

I think it would be a great beach ride, but I also would want to test drive one & see it in person...

GM > Something is better then nothing....
I do like the look & Good Luck GM > U do need something new in this class of ride..