Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Careers! How did you find yours?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 01:19 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Careers! How did you find yours?

Got a career or a passionate job you do EVERYDAY? What is it? Im sure some of our members here have nice careers, how did you go about finding yours? And if you could change it, what would it be?

Currently starting off, 22 and no career, im still finding myself. But I would like to hear other peoples opinions.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Always wanted to get into advertising. Been doing stuff like that as long as I could remember, was always in special art programs through school growing up.

Decided to be a commercial artist so I can actually get paid I'm a graphic designer.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:34 PM

I'm studying political science in school, and I hope to find a career on Capitol Hill one day as a politician and make some changes around here!

Old 03-11-2014, 05:05 PM

I went to school for business management and basically did not know what i really wanted to do Still dont for that matter. I am currently 1 year post college and am working for an insurance company in the auto claims area and am actually really enjoying it and pay is good so that is a plus.

In a perfect world i would get paid to wrench on cars all day and make what i do now. But that is just not going to happen any time soon. So i am hoping to become a manager within the next 6 years and then make enough money to be able and start my own either sports bar/grille or go into a partnership on a performance shop specializing on late model Mopar in the Indy area.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I guess I just sorta fell into my career. I had a Fine Arts Degree in Painting and I know I couldn't make a living with that, so I bought a Mac with help from my Dad and enrolled in a design school and went for 3 semesters and got an associates degree in Advertising Design. My first job was typesetting business forms and outputting film. For the most part I worked in print shops doing prepress and running the equipment. 19 years later I'm still doing production work but sadly making crappy money. Oh well

Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

I was working at a asphalt plant for 18 years an a truck driver told me about the post office hiring mechanics to work on postal trucks..
I told him I didn't think I would pass the test.. He told me to take the test..
I got hired in july 1998 ..LOL been working on mail trucks big & small ..

Old 03-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

When I was in college pursuing some kind of degree in electronics there were frequent field trips to communications businesses and visiting headhunters from Silicon Valley. What turned me on the most was a trip to an AT$T satellite downlink station. This was 1976 btw.

I set my sights on the phone company, but in 1976 the liberated women had a better chance at technical jobs than a young man - so I went to the next best thing, cable TV. 34 years now, been a tech, supervisor and manager - then managed out in a leadership shuffle. Now I'm back at the blue collar level and could not be happier.

TLDR - the career training and networking at college made me decide that wires and phone poles would be fun, what I'd done different is avoid management and stay in the field.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
I'm studying political science in school, and I hope to find a career on Capitol Hill one day as a politician and make some changes around here!
Ha ha, don't think you will make a change, everyone goes in with that attitude I would bet. The existing members pull the rookis aside and lay out the rules, you can make more money from special interest groups and lobbyists. And in teh long run, it's always about the money, your constituents become the necessary cannon fodder for you to walk on while you get where your going.

I'm in construction, 1st job I got after the army was as a tile monkey. Then a setter. Now I'm my own boss, do what I need to do to keep the doors open. I'm a grunt, something proud about that, being a grunt and surviving. Living the hard life, getting my butt kicked on a regular basis. No mercy, no quarter, keep your head down and dig in, we got a long way to go.

Here are a few pic's of my last commercial job. was there for about 4 months, did it with one helper. It was essentially a custom quality commercial project. 1.75 million tenant improvement. Did all the restrooms, to include steam showers, lobby, fireplace and water feature with behind corporate logo. There are 3 panels at over 400 lbs ea. vertically hung, and it had to be just right or the water would run down their faces improperly and I would have to eat a huge repair. Very stressful work I do, but it's my one man show, use to have on average about 10 employee's, now I'm lone wolfing it.

Receptionist desk area (not yet installed) tiled the soffit, wrapped the walls and ceiling. Lot of lights to cut out around. About 3 weeks this section of work. Scaffolds, layout had to hit dead center and square with ceiling edges or the cuts would tell on you. Mirror finish, no buckled tiles or the reflection would tell on you, hard working upside down and hanging the ceiling tiles without them sagging and falling or buckling. Special mortars helped, but your neck and arms got tired, stone after stone, day after day. STRESSFUL!!

Fireplace / hearth & floor inserts, all crosscut Chanille limestone 8" x 32" planking tiles to tie in with walnut walls and hardwood floors.

Glass mosaic bench seats in steam showers. I had to build the benches into an ergonomic design. Lots of block, rebar, and mortar and years of experience. 12x24 porcelain wall / floor tile. All floors restroom, steamers mudded and pitched to drain.

main restrooms, again all floors hand mudded / shaped to pitch to drain

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 03-12-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:17 AM
Cool >Great Thread 4-Sure<

Originally Posted by Hiroska
Got a career or a passionate job you do EVERYDAY? What is it? Im sure some of our members here have nice careers, how did you go about finding yours? And if you could change it, what would it be?

Currently starting off, 22 and no career, im still finding myself. But I would like to hear other peoples opinions.

`Hiroska >Great Thread Topic Thanks for taking your time to create and post I got my `job as warehouse manager by studying & working hard & honest + (Getting a degree in business management helped 4-Sure). My dream is to own my own surf/skateboard shop & restaurant. (Beach Bum Party Surf + Shop: ) I'm working towards my dream everyday.

Look forward to reading member's posts. Thanks for being a great active member to the MCF
* `Greg > beautiful work 4-$ure, but it's what I would expect from your gifted talents. Thanks for sharing + your pic's!

Last edited by Space; 03-12-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I didn't choose a career - it chose me. As far back as I can remember I have ben fascinated by cars. Did my first complete tune up at age 5 on a '53 Mercury Woody wagon w/ a 255cid flathead V8. Had my nose in car magazines and repair manuals then bought my first car at age 15. Kept filling my head with info throughout Jr High then became a TA (teacher assistance) in auto shop at High School for 3 years. After that I enrolled in college and became certified in Automotive Mechanics. Got a job 3 days later working as a back room mechanic at a service station. While there I went to college and became certified as an Automotive Machinist. Switched jobs and did engine builds for a few years, then went back to turning wrenches. Automobiles have been a part of me for years...and I'm still learning...

Quick Reply: Careers! How did you find yours?