Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

CAI Mythbusted Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:12 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default CAI Mythbusted Thoughts

Thoughts? i think i could mount a pod in the grill hole and get that kind of gain only problem is weather.... I'm gonna play with ideas and do research.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Keep it stock and drop in a new filter.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:52 PM

i have a year old FRAM in it now. cleaning the piping would probably be a good idea

Old 10-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Old 10-27-2012, 06:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What a terrible video.

We need vehicles that aren't typically tuned for power from the factory. Most stock intakes have a restriction to quiet down the car, a real cold air intake system removes those and makes the car louder and push in more air.

This Nissan probably has all the air it needs going to its Turbocharged engine already, that's why it's not going to make any gains.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:09 PM

theoretically the turbo will pull whatever it can. plus i know a few people that have installed filters that way..... one specifcally on a 3800 buick

Old 10-27-2012, 08:28 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

I always thought if they were that great, they would be done from the factory.

I talked to a man in a dyno shop years ago... he told me the only ones he ever saw make any difference in power were 1) on heavily modded cars and 2) usually custom built out of various materials.

I usually keep my mouth shut because everyone from the Chevrolet to the Ford to the Dodge and even import boards swear by them. Loud cars feel faster. CAI's sound louder. Suddenly people start talking about how much faster their car is without testing it before and after on a dyno or on a race track.

I believe the video....

Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

To do any modification on the 3.1 is going to require some work as you have no space to work with, having the battery and washer fluid tank right next to the intake. And thats an interesting find on that emblem, now if only i could find that stupid plastic piece that goes in the grille too.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:03 AM

I don't like that this video tested it on a turbocharged R34 which is by far not an everyday car. The video just doesn't seem realistic to me..

Old 10-28-2012, 10:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah, I agree with those who basically said "it would have been nice to see them test this on something a little more 'average'"..... Maybe even naturally aspirated.

I work with a guy who used to work at a dyno shop. Now, he claims he's seen people bring in cars with CAIs/FWIs and NONE of it ever made a difference (and he claims it was on just about any car make/model, not just high end stuff).

I have Wizaird CAI. I know it sounds great. I believe it makes a small difference in the performance of my car (some may call it the "placebo" effect). Other then advertising, I'm honestly not sure if it makes a dyno difference. I will admit, I'd love to see these guys test a CAI on a w-body car to see what, if any, difference a change in intake makes.

I would think on our cars, a CAI or even "gutted" air box would make a difference. I believe the inlet on the L67/L36 throttle body is about 90mm, I think that's the same as the circular opening on our stock air boxes (speaking 6th gen Monte). Not saying that's a "restriction", but it has less "surface area" to suck in air, or more specifically, have air forced into it. Switching to most traditional CAIs/FWIs, they have less restrictions from opportunity of having air shoved in them.

Again, I am NOT raising the flag that CAI absolutely work or don't work. I'm an owner of one and I believe it makes a minor change in performance. I also suggest for anyone building one to make sure to insulate the box, try to protect it from ambient engine heat.

It certainly was not a huge gain, but these guys DID prove moving the filter outside the car completely, made a small difference. This tells me, a well insulated CAI could make a small dyno difference. Again, not the hype most manufacturers try to sell you on.

Quick Reply: CAI Mythbusted Thoughts