Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Buying my Monte's replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Buying my Monte's replacement.

Ok I'm still keeping my money but I found out I can purchase a replacement for it yet once my Monte hits the million mile marker I will get a 24k credit for any car I replace my Monte with so any car I decide to buy to replace my Monte will get 24k toward its loan once Monte hits a million. So if I buy a used car for 19k and four months later my Monte hits a million (and after a bunch of paper work is processed GM will pay odd my replacement car basiclly the 19k used car and they save the difference)

So after finding that out I'm full force hunting for a newish used car to replace Monte eventually.

My top 10 choices as follows (I've driven all and I categorized them by favorability) all are sedans now, I perfer a manual w/ RWD or AWD but I'm willing to give on any for the right car.

1. G37S (sedan RWD, manual)
2. G37xS (sedan AWD, auto only)
3. Acura TL type SH ( AWD & manual)
4. Lexus IS350 (auto, RWD)
5. Hyndai geniuses R spec 5.0 V8 (auto & RWD)
6. M-Benz C350 (auto and/or RWD or AWD)
7. Chevy SS (kind of out of my price range but RWD & auto)
8. Pontiac G8 GT (auto & RWD)
9. Pontiac G8 GXP or FIREHAWK (expensive/rare but RWD & manual for the GXP at least)
10. Bmw 335xi (AWD & manual) but I'm not feeling owning two BMW's though.

If any of you guy have driven any of them I would like your input please, I know this is a chevy favorite forum but the SS I think i'll actually consider after a GXP but that's after if all fail in the top 3 or 5 cars.

Maybe this will encourage some people here to go out and test drive some of these cars just to submit a replay with a reasonable fact other than what they read as far as spec go online.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

will this be a winter vehicle also? if so stay with awd or fwd. please dont buy the bmw!

Old 06-19-2015, 10:05 AM

Yea this will be a daily driver, I'd perfer V6 over V8, manual over auto and AWD over RWD but I'm not going Fwd anymore that I know for sure.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:27 PM

I'd go with the Infiniti, Pontiac, or Chevy

Old 06-21-2015, 10:23 AM

Are you sure gm will let you use the money towards whatever brand vehicle you want? I'm surprised to hear that theyll give you that much money, but it just seems strange that they'll let you take that money and give it to a competitor. I would think that they would only let you buy a new gm, or maybe cpo gm vehicle.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:23 AM

Taking the money towards a car of my choice drops thier gift total value by 33.3% than acquiring a new GM product which is set at $31,995. Not really feeling any new cars made by GM as a replacement beside the Cadillac CTS but with the prices being around 45-50k I'm not really looking to have payments on it. It has to be a new car from GM not cpo or used.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Habbibie, consider all of those 800,000+ miles of dependability your Monte gave you, and dollars saved by not having to buy another car (or 2 or 3 or 4). At least go with another GM if not the Chevy SS. Think of the last 600,000 miles as bonus money toward your next GM purchase.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member

Some nice choices,i'd consider the Genesis if looking for some luxury and sportiness, and GXP for fun!The SS is very nice tho

Old 06-23-2015, 05:40 PM

Alright I'm down to two cars after many test drives and consideration to all factors (power, mpg, passenger space & cargo, handling etc.)

I'm between two very different rides too.
1 2009+ infiniti G37S sedan 6-speed manual.
2. 2010+ Lincoln MKT w/ 3.5L SHO motor.

I understand the mkt wasn't on the list but a part of me says having 2 kids now and (hopefully 2 more within 5 years from now) that I should consider a family hauler rather than a sport sedan that no one beside me can drive, but another part of me misses the hell out of a manual car.

Oh either way the Monte I will keep obviously till that 1 million marker hits but my other ride the M5 will be posted up for sale once I aquire a new DD. ( the M5 I bought more as a status symbol at the time but I'm past that senseless phase of my life, I've only managed to put 1200 miles on it since I bought it)

Anyways what do you guys think? pursue my wants as a singular person or as a daddy?

Old 06-23-2015, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by plumbob
Habbibie, consider all of those 800,000+ miles of dependability your Monte gave you, and dollars saved by not having to buy another car (or 2 or 3 or 4). At least go with another GM if not the Chevy SS. Think of the last 600,000 miles as bonus money toward your next GM purchase.
Sorry man but GM right now just doesn't have anything I would consider.

Quick Reply: Buying my Monte's replacement.