Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Breaking news

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:02 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Breaking news

In his quest for watching Law & Order rerums on TV, MCF member RJ and his girlfriend Debbie spend money like it's going out of style and buy a new TV yesterday.

When asked why they did it, MCF member RJ is quoted with saying, "I'm tired of only seeing half of people's heads on our old TV."

This news team believes it's more like, when you own a Chevy Monte Carlo everyone knows you're rich and have extra money to throw around.

Incase no one has figured it out yet. We got a new TV yesterday. A 32" Sanyo. WHY? Cost is the main reason.

It doesn't have the best picture on it, but it's not that bad.

The old TV, a 27" we got a while ago. After watching it the past few months with only 1/2 a screen it was time for a better TV.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

1/2 screen? yah i'd say its time to get a new tv..lol

hopefully you like your new tv, me and my wife have actually been looking @ getting a new tv as well lately...haven't decided yet though

Old 03-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Arrow Happy 4 U : )

R.J., The bum's & I are happy for you!

X-Rated Movies should really look good lol - lol
We hope U still find time to log on2 the MCF
There R some great deals now on T.V.'s
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4529482

I still am watching my 13 inch Rabbit Ear TV
Yours would be like go'in 2 a movie theater
EnJoy your `Views
`Space

Last edited by Space; 03-18-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: 2 watch March Madness : )
Old 03-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah that 1/2 screen would have been really annoying watch that **** :p lol

Old 03-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah, really. You may want to re-watch the movie "The Crying Game" on the new tv. It ends a little differently than you saw on your old tv.

Is your 32" a picture tube style? Or is it a flat screen (plasma/LCD)?

Either way, congrats on seeing the bigger picture.

1/2 sceen would blow watching sports too. On the bright side, you only got to see "Digger" on Fox's Nascar coverage, half the time too.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:47 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

We replaced all of our tube TVs about a year and a half ago. Bought a pair of Samsung 32" LCDs 1080i for the bedrooms. We just got a 19" Samsung LCD for the kitchen and we have an out of date Sony 60" LCD that's about 6 years old.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:12 PM
rj
15 Year Member

We got a flat screen. I'll tell ya, it is going to take some getting used to.

For a few months now our old TV was acting up. You couldn't see the top half of people's heads. (watching **** this way just isn't the same. hahahahahaha)

We got the old TV, a 27" in um........ it was......... um.............let's see................... what year was it??????????????
I think............................ it........................ was........................... .um...........................................1996 .

Not only was the top half of the screen missing on the old TV but the picture you could see has a lot of lines running through it.

I figured out one day if you smack the TV on the left side, the full picture would come back. But the past few weeks even that didn't work.

We have a smaller TV we could have watched for the time but one day Debbie was moving it. She removed the coax cable from the back and when she went to re-hook it back up she got it cross threaded on the TV jack. She got the idea of using vice grips to thread the cable on the TV jack and snapped the jack inside the TV. I managed to solder it back in place but someone (no names mentioned here) loosened it back up when she moved the TV again. So using that TV wasn't the best for us either.

The new TV is only a 720 pixel image. A 1020 pixel I think is it would have been nice but it was $100 extra. Not really something we could swing expense wish.

I need to make a run to buy additional cables. I guess the money they charge for the TV wasn't enough to include the needed cables to hook up the VCR/DVD player to it.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The new flat screen is so much lighter than the old 27" isn't it?

I helped my dad get rid of his 15 year old 27" Panasonic tube-style tv when he got a new 32" LCD screen. What a beast that old 27" tv was. Weighed a ton!

Last year I replaced my beast of a 19" tube-style computer monitor for a 22" Samsung LCD monitor. Gained tons of room on my desk! And the wider screen rocks!

Old 03-19-2009, 11:03 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Flat screens rule!

Old 03-19-2009, 11:08 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Yeah. The new TV weighs like 15 - 20 lbs.

The old TV weighs about 150 lbs.

You can control the brightness of the screen with 4 settings. There's also 4 settings for the size of the image on the screen too.

Now if I could just afford a new computer.

(which the new TV can be used as a computer monitor. not that I want a 32" computer monitor)

Quick Reply: Breaking news