Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Bought a new TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Congrats, Jerry! I've been tempted to get a 3D set, but still feel the sting of jumping on a plasma set before they 'perfected' the technology. I paid $4,000 for a set (Samsung 40") and the sound went out 2 weeks after the warranty expired. I had that repaired ($500) and 3 months later the whole set went dead. The parts and labor to repair it ($1200) was out of the question so I ended up buying an LCD set to replace it. The other bad thing about it was it created a lot of RF interference and wiped out the receive on my amateur radios. I had to unplug the TV whenever I wanted to get on the radio just so I could hear other stations. I hope you get many years of trouble free viewing from your new TV!
I'm kind of peeved at Samsung right now. I bought an LN46A750, it started randomly turning off after 2 years (known issue with bad capacitors), had it repaired. And now just last month it started doing the same thing and had to have it repaired right at the 3 yr. mark and one month out of the 3 yr. extended warranty I purchased. I did get them to cover it though, I suggest always buying the extended warranty for tv's, there are a lot of horror stories. Now my tv is acting strange again, with like a triple image on the left side of the tv, but it goes away after a few minutes. I can't believe my nice tv has had to be repaired twice in 3 years and now probably dying. Guess I will try Sony next.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a 47 in Toshiba LCD and I don't want anything bigger. It's the perfect size for our living room. I don't watch enough movies to go 3D yet. Like Mike said maybe when they have more TV shows on then Ill look at it.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:12 PM

I've been happy at 46" but I have to admit it would be very tempting to go to 55" with the next purchase.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

congrats on the purchase. i havent really had any experience with 3d yet

Old 11-11-2011, 02:28 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I don't personally care for 3D much both are tvs are 3d mine is a 50" sharp & my dads is a 82" Mitsubishi both give me headaches

Old 11-11-2011, 04:16 PM

I want bigger so I can spot campers alot easier.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nocturnx
I wear glasses and putting 3D glasses on over glasses is too uncomfortable. I'm not sold enough on 3D to put up with it. It's neat in the store but I don't think it's for me until they do away with having to wear 3D glasses.
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Congrats on the new purchase!

Personally I'm not digging the 3d until they either make it glasses free, or start televising events with it frequently.
I agree with both of you guys. I wear glasses too. Occasionally I wear contacts. But I don't want to have to put on my contacts just to watch tv.

I occasionally check out the display models at various stores. I saw one at Sears on wednesday. Don't remember what brand it was. But it used non-battery powered glasses. The 3d effect is cool. But I found the picture to be almost as blurry with the glasses on, as it was with them off. Plus the affore mentioned problem of putting on 3d glasses over my prescription glasses.

For my purposes, I just can't justify buying a 3d tv right now. Until tv channels start broadcasting normal programming in 3d, I just can't see myself buying a 3d tv.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nocturnx
I'm kind of peeved at Samsung right now. I bought an LN46A750, it started randomly turning off after 2 years (known issue with bad capacitors), had it repaired. And now just last month it started doing the same thing and had to have it repaired right at the 3 yr. mark and one month out of the 3 yr. extended warranty I purchased. I did get them to cover it though, I suggest always buying the extended warranty for tv's, there are a lot of horror stories. Now my tv is acting strange again, with like a triple image on the left side of the tv, but it goes away after a few minutes. I can't believe my nice tv has had to be repaired twice in 3 years and now probably dying. Guess I will try Sony next.
Man, the just don't make TVs like they used too! I don't believe it's possible to get 30-40 years out of an LCD like you could get with one of these-

From 1974 or so- and continuing to run in someone's basement with an Xbox (through an RF converter) connected to it.. :p
Jokes aside, check out a TV model's history before buying it.. As far as LCDs go, LG, Sharp, Sony, and Toshiba are supposed to be the most reliable brands out there.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 05MonteLS
Man, the just don't make TVs like they used too! I don't believe it's possible to get 30-40 years out of an LCD like you could get with one of these-

From 1974 or so- and continuing to run in someone's basement with an Xbox (through an RF converter) connected to it.. :p
Jokes aside, check out a TV model's history before buying it.. As far as LCDs go, LG, Sharp, Sony, and Toshiba are supposed to be the most reliable brands out there.

I like epinions (link below) because they're reviews from actual owners of the products. You have to give both positive and negative comments. Reviews are read by site staff before they're posted. So you can't just post stuff like: "This tv f***in' sucks".

Link---> Reviews from Epinions

Old 11-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

I have a 46" TOSHIBA 120HZ 1080P LCD and 40" TOSHIBA 120HZ 1080P LCD .. I don't know about 3D ?

Quick Reply: Bought a new TV