Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>Bike Week Daytona Beach ends with a roar

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool >Bike Week Daytona Beach ends with a roar

Bike Week ends with a roar, happy vendors

Bikers cruise Main Street in Daytona Beach on the last day of Bike Week 2014.
News-Journal photos/NIGEL COOK

By Anthony DeFeo

Published: Monday, March 17, 2014 at 5:30 a.m.

Last Modified: Monday, March 17, 2014 at 6:07 a.m.

DAYTONA BEACH - The sounds of rumbling engines and loud music continued to fill Main Street throughout Sunday, even as the final day of Bike Week 2014 drew to a close.

Photo Galleries

The 10-day celebration brought tens of thousands of motorcycle enthusiasts of all stripes to Volusia and Flagler counties. The crowd full of chrome-clad Harley-Davidsons and neon-colored sport bikes showed little sign of thinning out Sunday afternoon as bikers rushed to get their final fix of fun.
Sunny skies, warm temperatures and a light breeze made it the perfect day for a biker to cruise down Atlantic Avenue, alongside the World's Most Famous Beach.
Luis Sehic said he's been riding motorcycles for about two years, but this was his first time at Bike Week. However, it certainly won't be the Miami resident's last.
“Froggy's (Saloon) is pretty nice. All around, Main Street is pretty amazing,” he said. “Absolutely, I'll be back.”
Shelly Rossmeyer-Pepe, general manager of Bruce Rossmeyer's Destination Daytona north of Ormond Beach, said she couldn't be more pleased with this year's turnout.
“We are extremely happy,” she said. “If the numbers pan out, we should definitely be over our numbers from last year.”
The dealership hosted a variety of events throughout Bike Week, including concerts featuring the bands Vixen and Great White, along with the Miss Destination Daytona swimsuit competition.
Joseph Schott of Jacksonville, who used to live in Daytona Beach, was walking around Main Street with his wife, Lynn, along with their German shepherd.
“I love to ride, but I don't have my own bike,” Lynn Schott said.
Neither does Joseph, but he said he enjoyed walking around Main Street and people-watching.
Another business which typically benefits from Bike Week is the Cruisin' Cafe, which sits on the corner of Main Street and Atlantic Avenue. Owner Daniel Myara said the good weather in Daytona Beach, combined with the sub-par weather elsewhere around the country, gave many people a reason to come out this year.
“People came in from everywhere,” he said. “The weather was so bad everywhere.”
“It started slow, but then it got to be a good one after all,” he continued. “The weather was beautiful, so no complaints at all.”
Daytona Beach Police Chief Mike Chitwood said things largely ran smoothly this year, with only a handful of arrests for things like drunk and disorderly conduct and possibly only three motorcycles reported stolen — fewer than in years past, he pointed out.
“It'll be like an incredibly low number of motorcycles stolen,” he said. “When there's this many people here someone's going to act like a knucklehead, but really, no major things to report.”
Authorities, however, did report that three motorcyclists were killed in traffic accidents during Bike Week 2014 as of Sunday night.
This year's Bike Week marked the celebration's 73rd year. Other events featured this year included motorcycle demo rides at Daytona International Speedway, the Daytona 200 motorcycle race and the DeLand Bike Rally.

Bike Week ends with a roar, happy vendorsAnthony DeFeo
News-Journal/NIGEL COOK

Bikers cruise Main St. as Bike Week draws to a close, Sunday March 16, 2014.
News-JournalOnline.comMarch 17, 2014 6:07 AM<p>DAYTONA BEACH - The sounds of rumbling engines and loud music continued to fill Main Street throughout Sunday, even as the final day of Bike Week 2014 drew to a close.</p><p>The 10-day celebration brought tens of thousands of motorcycle enthusiasts of all stripes to Volusia and Flagler counties. The crowd full of chrome-clad Harley-Davidsons and neon-colored sport bikes showed little sign of thinning out Sunday afternoon as bikers rushed to get their final fix of fun. </p><p>Sunny skies, warm temperatures and a light breeze made it the perfect day for a biker to cruise down Atlantic Avenue, alongside the World's Most Famous Beach.</p><p>Luis Sehic said he's been riding motorcycles for about two years, but this was his first time at Bike Week. However, it certainly won't be the Miami resident's last. </p><p>“Froggy's (Saloon) is pretty nice. All around, Main Street is pretty amazing,” he said. “Absolutely, I'll be back.”</p><p>Shelly Rossmeyer-Pepe, general manager of Bruce Rossmeyer's Destination Daytona north of Ormond Beach, said she couldn't be more pleased with this year's turnout.</p><p>“We are extremely happy,” she said. “If the numbers pan out, we should definitely be over our numbers from last year.”</p><p>The dealership hosted a variety of events throughout Bike Week, including concerts featuring the bands Vixen and Great White, along with the Miss Destination Daytona swimsuit competition. </p><p>Joseph Schott of Jacksonville, who used to live in Daytona Beach, was walking around Main Street with his wife, Lynn, along with their German shepherd.</p><p>“I love to ride, but I don't have my own bike,” Lynn Schott said. </p><p>Neither does Joseph, but he said he enjoyed walking around Main Street and people-watching.</p><p>Another business which typically benefits from Bike Week is the Cruisin' Cafe, which sits on the corner of Main Street and Atlantic Avenue. Owner Daniel Myara said the good weather in Daytona Beach, combined with the sub-par weather elsewhere around the country, gave many people a reason to come out this year.</p><p>“People came in from everywhere,” he said. “The weather was so bad everywhere.” </p><p>“It started slow, but then it got to be a good one after all,” he continued. “The weather was beautiful, so no complaints at all.” </p><p>Daytona Beach Police Chief Mike Chitwood said things largely ran smoothly this year, with only a handful of arrests for things like drunk and disorderly conduct and possibly only three motorcycles reported stolen — fewer than in years past, he pointed out. </p><p>“It'll be like an incredibly low number of motorcycles stolen,” he said. “When there's this many people here someone's going to act like a knucklehead, but really, no major things to report.”</p><p>Authorities, however, did report that three motorcyclists were killed in traffic accidents during Bike Week 2014 as of Sunday night.</p><p>This year's Bike Week marked the celebration's 73rd year. Other events featured this year included motorcycle demo rides at Daytona International Speedway, the Daytona 200 motorcycle race and the DeLand Bike RallyCopyright 2014 News-JournalOnline.com - All rights reserved. Restricted use only.
More Images

Enlarge

Enlarge

Enlarge

Enlarge

Enlarge

Enlarge

Enlarge

Enlarge

Enlarge

Last edited by Space; 03-17-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:02 PM

I love Harley Davidson's! I won't own one though because of all the stupid drivers out there. My life ain't wroth no Harley! I went to a bike week kind of thing we have here in Kentucky but it's called "The Harley Nationals". I have been to a lot of things in my life but nothing like this! There was all kinds of stuff going on! They even have cops that patrol the place but it does no good. They have guys that stand out by the loop with water hoses to wet the road so everyone can do burnouts and the cops do burnouts to! I have a few pic. of cop cars you can barely see cause of all the smoke coming off the tires! Things get pretty crazy out there.