Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Biggest scam story you'll read today.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:09 AM

I pulled up the pics and the auction on my Blackberry. I'm not going to dispute anyones claim but I will tell you what I do know. First off insurance companies don't pay claims on arson if they can prove the owner set the blaze. I have my doubts there was an insurance check. In the picks I saw there didn't appear to be any paint on it at all. It looked like red oxide primer which in a pic can be mistaken for rust. Cars that have been burned deteriorate very quickly. The metal looses all its strength from the heat and I don't know anyway of reversing that. The car looks to me like it was fully engulfed and at that point it doesn't matter if it had been restored or not because it all went up in smoke. As far as the holes in the floor are concerned, if the floor was thin in that area it will be a hole in no time at all. I would have to say that this car is not restoreable. It looks like the suspension has dropped because of the heat and if that is the case then the frame has been compromised too. Between a good parts car and all the aftermarket parts you could end up with a Superbird when the work was done. I would. Be hard pressed to agree that it would be a that auction car restored. That pile of metal is not worth anywhere near 45K. You are going to spend big dollars to end up with a Superbird.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Rotisserie restored? Sorry, but with as much rust that has eaten through the rear deck and quarter panel there's no way that car was restored. It looks to me as if it were dragged in from a wrecking yard and someone is trying to make some quick big bucks off an ignorant person...or a fool. There's also a lot of rust on the engine from it sitting outdoors. I can imagine what the K member looks like. That was one of the first spots to go away on a Mopar.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:08 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think this at least falls into the category of people who are like an Uncle of mine... "My stuff is worth gold, your stuff isn't worth the template it was made from."

Old 10-18-2011, 05:05 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

With that car, you could make money off it. All you need to do is build a nice superbird using all new parts, and put on your $45,000 vin tag. Thats if it has one.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:55 PM

5 Year Member

If it was in a "fire' the plate is probably burned byeond any recognition, considering how thing they were.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Aside from the corrosion and deterioation, what the hell would you have to drop on it to ensure ever square inch of the car has beat beaten in 3 times. That thing could have been in the World Trade Center when it came down and you likely have found one straight panel and some paint somewhere.

That was a fun read tho...

Old 10-18-2011, 07:07 PM

I don't know what's worse, the questionable story or the $45,000 asking price. If I had that kind of expendable income I'd choose a better project or buy one that's already done, even if it's twice as much money.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm with mousehouse on his point about fire damage. If the car was fully engulfed, and got hot enough to weaken the steal frame, it's crusher time. I hate to see a rare Superbird go to the crusher too. After all, I am a car guy. But I wouldn't trust my life in it ever again. That car USED to be a superbird. Unfortunately it's now a burned out hunk of metal.

I've seen a few cars with engine fire damage. Where ever the paint burned off and left bare metal, they rusted like crazy very quickly. The water from the fire department helps the rusting process start pretty much immediately.

Originally Posted by KJRich
I don't know what's worse, the questionable story or the $45,000 asking price. If I had that kind of expendable income I'd choose a better project or buy one that's already done, even if it's twice as much money.
My thoughts exactly. If you have $45 grand sitting around to buy a Superbird, your money is better spent on a better one than that one!

Like I said above. That's no longer a superbird.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:06 PM

5 Year Member

I've been convinced that this is fire damage. It was pointed out to me that the aluminum distributor is melted.

The whole story doesn't make sense either way though. So much legal crap involved.

It needs to get to the scrap yard before more weight rusts off.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Zen

Wow thats all I can say.That poor bird has had a rough time.