Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Bans, bans, and bans

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Bans, bans, and bans

Thought you live in a free country didn't you. Sooner or later every little thing you do will be controlled or monitored. Read this list of stuff from this year.

The Year in Bans: Baggy Jeans, Burqas, Babies and More | Winter Style - Yahoo! Shine

Old 12-13-2011, 01:34 AM

that wasn't all just in America though.. either way, people are HUGE baby's...

i so wish i could say deal with it or STFU

Old 12-13-2011, 01:42 AM

Some of the bans make sense such as the baggy jeans and the elective C-sections. As far as the baggy jeans thing I have seen guys walking around here with the jeans waistline half way between the knees and the waist. First off I don't want to look at someone elses underwear. Secondly it isn't practical from any stand point. Common sense says you don't wear loose pants. A few weeks ago I was working out in the yard and I didn't put my belt on. My pants sliding down drove me nuts all day.as far as the C-section thing is concerned, I have these observations. I have brought three little girls into the world within the last four years. Susan and I have done some research. What we have founf out is this. Whenever a baby is born any other way than a natural birth, the baby is put at risk. Labor inducement and baby birth scheduling has become the thing to do for convenience of either the mother or the doctor. Doing so creates complications for the baby and many have suffered death or birth defects.
Most of the other bans are ridiculous. As long as the masses refuse to get involved and be heard then the special interests and the minority groups get to control the masses. The lesson here is to stop letting others do. Get involved in the running of your communities.
One thing that I am noticing is that the US is changing to appease the special interests. One example is the language. My great grandparents immigrated here from France and Sweden. When they came here they learned to speak, write, and understand English to the point where I don't know any language but English. If immigrants want to come to America they do so because it is better than where they came from. That being the case then they need to assimilate to the American way. I am seeing way too many Spanish billboards and signs in stores and roadways and hearing way to much Spanish being spoken. America is changing to accommodate the Latin immigration. The Islamic culture is growing in numbers here as well. If we allow this to continue as we have the Latin culture then shearer law will become the law of the land. It is not unreasonable to believe that what has occurred in Afghanistan could happen here. Sitting still and allowing others to set policy is all it takes to allow this to happen here.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:38 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They shouldn't have to ban wearing your pants around your knees. That should be common sense. It's a sad day when common sense has to be legislated.

As for C-sections. When it comes to the actual delivering of the baby, as a guy, I don't think it's up to me. I'm not the one on the table. It's up to her. If she wants a C-section, she can have a C-section.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In some cases. the "bans" make sense. Here's a few:
- No Baggy Pants in school - a school has a right to a dress code. When I was in public school, they made us turn our shirts inside out if it had any reference to drugs/tabaco/alcohol. This was part of a dress code. They have the right to impose a dress code.
- Happy Meal Toys - It's not the toys making the kids fat, it's the parents who don't teach kids "you can't always have what you want" (to quote the Rolling Stones). That is a right of the organization to make that offer, other wise, why not ban Black Friday specials because people are jerks on the road, overcrowd stores, trample/pepper spray others in their way....
- No photos within the first x minutes of a child birth - I totally see this as a problem. I have inlaws who are picture crazy. Today, with a digi-cam on every phone, it makes it WAY to intrusive for medical professionals to do what they need safely when people are crowding in or asking for a "quick" photo. People need to understand, there is a time and place.... When a medical professional is addressing pre and post birth situations, they need space not "can you face the camera". I'm sure a bulk of that is dodging mal-practice, do you blame them when we live in a "sue" happy society?

Ones that I don't agree with (and it's our responsibility to call the organizations out on it if we don't agree):
- Brown Bag-Lunches - That ban apparently came from a school who did not feel they made enough money selling lunches. Forcing students to eat what they offer. Some students come from under privilege homes, any money saved could be huge.
- Cheerleader Uniforms - If you are saying the uniform is a dress code violation in school, then it should be a violation at school functions. When I went to school, it was NOT uncommon for cheerleaders to wear uniforms in class. If it's a violation, FIX the uniform. Otherwise that is infact a mixed message.

Those are some highlights I found. I could go on ALL day. But as someone pointed out, not all those bans are from the United States. Either way, we all have a responsibility to either voice our opinions when these situations we disagree with occur in our community and if we don't voice our opinions, we should not complain.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:44 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

A few make sense but most are just plain stupid if you ask me

Old 12-13-2011, 07:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I should ban you for complaining about this.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:06 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I guess if a woman wants to be sliced opened to have her baby on a specific day I guess that's her business - she will be living with a nasty scar the whole rest of her life.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Agreed some of it does make sense and some of them are stupid. Brown bag lunch ban i think is stupid, you shouldn't be able to force people into paying for the kids lunches which can cost from $1 to maybe $5 a day and for a low income family it could be the difference between paying a bill or not.

Same with cheer leader uniforms, girls in my school would wear their uniforms during the day alot too. All though i dont recall seeing them in the last year i was there with our new principal who is overly strict. But like mike said if they deem it not appropriate for school it shouldn't be appropriate for events either.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I agree with Taz on this one "It's a sad day when common sense has to be legislated". Most things that become laws are to cover someones butt for instance "Contents may Be Hot" on coffee cups, Really are you sure.

Quick Reply: Bans, bans, and bans