Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Which bank?
Bank of America
0%
TD Bank
16.67%
M&T Bank
8.33%
Other
75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Bank decisions

Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Bank decisions

I need some help from my fellow members here Im in the process of finding myself a new bank. Checking with debit card and some kind of benefit program is what im looking for. I have my eye on bank of america, td bank, and m&t bank. Has anyone had any experiences with these banks? Many looking for opinions to help sway me to a decision, heck i'll even add a poll Thanks everyone Im swayed a bit towards M&T bank as they have free checking without any BS fees and a decent rewards program.

Last edited by Leprechaun93; 04-16-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 AM

I use the Chase Bank or JP Morgan Chase. It was previously Washington Mutual. I have free checking with a debit card. I have to make a minimum of 500.00 dollars a month worth of direct deposits to qualify for free checking. Washington Mutual was very customer friendly, Chase isn't nearly as good but I have not found any better.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:59 AM

I use Eagle bank. Some benifits are: No fees on anything, overdraft protection, fast costomer service, free wire trasfers, free debit card, and its in my home town. I have free checking and can have $1 dollar in my account for months with no deposits and will never ever be charged a dime.

Draw backs. There is only 13 branchs all in the south st louis area. so If I ever move I will need a new bank.

Find a small bank not a big chain. You will not have that stupid : my bank charges me when I use debit or the I need to make x dollars a month or I get charged for checking crap. I work at a grocery store that only takes debit so it pisses me off when people still bank at a place like that when a block away they could get everything free. Seriously if you pay your bank for anything except the checks, then you have a bad bank. I paid $15 for checks in 2001 and that is literally the only thing I have ever had to pay my bank.

Banks make money off the company you use your debit card at when you run it as credit. Also they make money hand over fist on interest on loans they give out. Why would they need to charge you for banking if they get paid when you use your card anyway?

Old 04-17-2012, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member

Good points. I'm in a local bank right now. Provident bank, not sure how many branches but I know they're fairly local. I need to go atleast a little bigger to pick uP some benefits.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I didn't know td was in America now, but I'd steer clear of that one. Not just because it is a Canadian trust company (not a bank). I can't say crap about the others

Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 AM

Hi Keane & Brent,
The owner of my company & my boss uses "TD" Bank & they have been super compared to Bank of America who we used to have...The TD Bank is backed by the FDIC
We've never had one problem with them . BOA was a constant problem
TD Bank Soundness and Safety of Deposits - Member FDIC

TD Bank Soundness and Safety of Deposits - Member FDIC. ... As a reminder, your deposits with us are FDIC-insured up to the maximum allowed by law.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:19 AM

My experience over years with Bank of America has been consistently bad. Their record during recent years with the nationwide banking crisis was abysmal. My advice - go with one of the others.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 AM

<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> Hi `Keane & Member's,
The below link is from December 2011 on the Best & Worst Banks in the USA...I hope it helps you & member's. Good Luck...

Kurt Badenhausen, Forbes Staff

+ Follow on Forbes

<HGROUP>Business

12/13/2011 @ 3:00PM |66,542 views

Full List: America's Best And Worst Banks

Full List: America's Best And Worst Banks - Forbes

Click above link ^<!-- end div.comment_bug -->

Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the info everyone, pretty sure im not going bank of america.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I use a credit union as I said before. I have been a member for over 20 years and always had great service. Where ever you decide to go just be careful. A dollar or 2 in fee's for using an atm or a cash advance at a store can quickly add up to a few hundred dollars in a year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bank decisions