Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

AutoTransmissions - How Many Speeds ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:17 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default AutoTransmissions - How Many Speeds ?

[align=center][/align][align=center]How many Speeds to you want ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]The new Chevy Malibu[/align][align=center]is mated with a Hydra-Matic 6T70 six-speed automatic transmission. [/align][align=center][:-]

Not so long ago, a four-speed automatic transmission was still the norm. Four-speeds began with GM's Hydra-Matic, which debuted for the 1940 Oldsmobile. As more manufacturers adopted automatics during the 1950s, many initially had only three speeds, or even two. Eventually, most automakers moved up to four. [/align][/align][align=center]Early in the 1990s, five-speed automatics came along, initially on top-end Mercedes-Benz and BMW models. Six-speeds arrived in 2002 for the BMW 7 Series sedan, and in the redesigned 2004 Audi A8. Mercedes-Benz skipped the six-speed step and shifted directly from five ratios into a seven-speed for 2004. Now, Lexus has upped the ante to eight in its 2007 LS 460 sedan. Can nine- and ten-speed transmissions be far behind? [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]More Gear, More Miles [/align][align=center][:-][/align][/align][align=center]Some observers suggest that "bragging rights" tops the list of reasons to issue transmissions with more ratios. Many believe it's largely a marketing measure, to draw attention to the company. Still, there are practical reasons for expanding the number of ratios, especially to improve fuel economy. Without question, today's automatic transmissions are more economical than their predecessors, achieving fuel-consumption figures that are a lot closer to what can be expected from a manual gearbox in the same vehicle. [/align][/align][align=center]With seven gears "you have a much better variability" between low and high road speeds, said Dr. Stephan Manger, senior manager for overall vehicle development of the Mercedes-Benz M-, R- and GL-Class. "Intelligence in the system recognizes which is the correct gear." A five-speed transmission might have only one or two choices to downshift into when needed at a given road speed. Additional gear ratios present additional choices "to get to the right point." [/align][/align][align=center]Being able to say you're the "world's first" with an eight-speed automatic offers some promotional advantages, said Lexus product education administrator Charles Hubbard. Speaking tangibly, though, "the closer I get the ratios, the more I'm saving on fuel." Could engineers stuff nine or ten gear ratios into an automatic? "They probably could," Hubbard acknowledged. Is there a practical limit? "Nobody knows what happens in 10, 15 years," Mercedes-Benz's Manger said. [/align][/align][align=center][b]In the past, according to Jeff Baran, chief engineer for rear-drive six-speed transmissions at General Motors, developers had to "trade off" between responsiveness and gas mileage. "Wider overall ratio transmissions," such as GM's new six-speed unit, can "enable performance and fuel economy in the same package." Depending on the vehicle model, GM claims "up to six percent improvement in some performance numbers, three percent in fuel miles per gallon." With two overdrive gears and a wide (6.04:1) spread of ratios, GM's transmission is said to approach the functionality of a seven-speed. Some five-speeds "didn't have a large difference in the overa

Old 02-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Default RE: AutoTransmissions - How Many Speeds ?

My wife has a 07 Chrysler Pacifica with a six speed automatic.You really can notice the extra shifting at times when you wouldn't normally expect a car to shift.It does have a very low 1st gear that gives it more than expected pick-up off the line that is surprising for a vehicle that size.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:58 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Lexus has an 8 speed transmission now... or was it Mercedes.. I don't know. but one of them has an 8 speed now.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

Lexus has an 8 speed transmission now... or was it Mercedes.. I don't know. but one of them has an 8 speed now.
Lexus has upped the ante to eight in its 2007 LS 460 sedan. Can nine- and ten-speed transmissions be far behind?
Mercedes-Benz skipped the six-speed step and shifted directly from five ratios into a seven-speed for 2004.
(Contained in first post on thread: )

Old 02-08-2008, 05:25 PM

5 Year Member

sure 'Space.. 9-10 speed transmissions are already out there... my dad hasa 10 speedin his volvo.

of course, my dads Volvo is actually an 18 wheeler.

They're fun to drive, in a way. Non-synchronized transmissions mean that people who grew up on regular transmission (pretty much anything out there) couldn't drive it. Althoguh, in all honestly, it wouldn't take them long to figure it out. You can either double clutch or slide shift.. I prefer slide shifting, you don't use the clutch (hard to explain, but if you coudl see how they're build its actually better for the clutch as you're not wearing it out.

See, these transmissions have two sides... you go thru the first 5 (usually, you'll start in 2-3 because first gear is SOOOO low), then you flip a switch and go back to first gear, whcih magically became 6th gear and go back through...

Maybe this will help you understand 'Space. I tried to find a picture of one on the internet, as they are colored and make it easier to see, but i'l try to make one with dashes and such

R - 2/7 - 4/9
| | |
-------N---------
| ||
1/6 3/8- 5/10

There is a switch (or on some new trucks, a red button), that you flip. This is the only syncronizer in the whole transmission. It switches you from "high side" to "low side", so you kind of go through the some gear box twice. Does that make since?

There used to be lots of 9 speeds.. don't see those much anymore. You don't even see many 10 speeds anymore. You see mostly 13, 18, and a few 21 speeds. There are 15,16, and 21 gear automatics I think. There are constantly new automatic transmissions in different gear numbers coming out.. they usually don't last anymore than a couple of years in production, and amybe 100,000 miles if they're lucky (thats not much for a truck, my dads tranny has 1.5 million miles on it). I've heard of them lasting as short as 10,000 miles. Overall, in a truck, you want a manuel, and that means most likely a 10,13, or 18 speed.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:35 PM

5 Year Member

By the way, I foudn this... I've never in my life seen an 8 speed in a truck, so I'm not sure what this is out of. But this can kind of help you so see what a trucks shift pattern is like.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

I personally love the CVT transmissions. If you have not driven in one, it is incredible. Very smooth, and the power is always there without any pause.

I could also envision a 8-speed being very smooth as well. On the other hand, a manual 8+ would be too much for me.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:34 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had a chance to buy an '84 or '85 SS Monte with a 6-speed in it from a T/A once. The seller wanted like $3500 for the car. I figured the clutch pedal was exotic so I passed. Little did I know the '78-80 Montes were offered with a 3-speed manual trans. All the needed clutch parts are still available from GM and fit right in the '81-88 Montes.

I wouldn't mind a 5 or 6-speed for a couple of my '57s.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The '07 Solstice GXP has a 5L40E Hydramatic, a 5-speed auto. At the BMW dealer the other day I looked at a couple of Z4's with 6 speed autos in them. Not as much power under the hood, tho. (I was there to buy my lift pads for the GXP, NOT to buy a car)