Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Have you ever owned a Corvette ? Would you like to ?
I own a Corvette & will post about it
27.27%
I used to own a Corvette & will post about it
9.09%
I want a New Corvette, it's a dream of mine
0%
I'm going to order a New Corvette when I hit the Lotto
9.09%
I'm going to order a New Corvette
0%
I hope to own a used one someday
9.09%
I am going to own one someday ?
9.09%
I really, really want a Corvette & I'm going get me one (lol)
9.09%
I don't like them, never have
9.09%
I have a toy one (lol)
18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

> All New Chevy Corvette To Debut In Mid 2013

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Originally Posted by Space

A 7 speed manual would be a waste imo 6 speeds are enough

Old 10-25-2012, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi `Mike, I think it would depend how the gear ratio's were set up (like the first 4-5 gears would be close ratio's & the 6-7 gears set for top speed or overdrive gears...for better MPG's

Close ratio would be great on a road course I think ?
Plus with 7 gears you could have a lower rear gear for instant acceleration
I love to shift gears, and the more the better, especially if they are spaced correctly for the type of driving that you want to do...in a sport car like a Chevy Corvette

Old 10-25-2012, 06:54 PM

I just bought one last week and hope I don't have a lot of issue since it is a 1987 with only 12600 miles.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

We own a 96 Grand Sport

Old 10-26-2012, 12:33 PM

2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gains New LT1 6.2-Liter V-8

Written by: Eric Tingwall[G+] on October 24 2012 8:03 AM
<!-- AddThis Button BEGIN --><STYLE> .addthis_overlay_container { z-index:9999; } .addthis_overlay_toolbox { width: 53px !important; } </STYLE>

<!-- AddThis Button END -->

<!--leftside banner-->
<!--leftside ends here -->The seventh-generation 2014 Chevrolet Corvette will produce at least 450 hp and 450 lb-ft of torque from an all-new small-block V-8 engine. The fifth-generation of GM’s iconic eight-cylinder, known as the LT1, displaces 6.2 liters and adopts direct injection, cylinder deactivation, and continuously variable valve timing in the pursuit of greater performance and efficiency. Chevrolet is targeting a 0-60-mph time of less than four seconds and a 26-mpg highway fuel economy rating for the 2014 C7 Corvette.
“Our customers’ own fears were, coming out of bankruptcy, with the pressures of [Corporate Average Fuel Economy], were that the Corvette would be a shadow of itself,” said Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter. “We’re not going to be a shadow.” He acknowledges that his Corvette team investigated alternative engines such as the long-rumored turbocharged V-6, but contends that the small-block was better qualified to meet performance standards, efficiency expectations, and customer demand. The V-8 engine is still kicking. “I’m not going to say we’ll [build] 100 million more. But we’re going to do millions more,” Juechter said.
The LT1 represents a new chapter in the small-block’s 57-year history, with GM claiming the engine is 99.9% new. During a presentation to journalists, small-block engine chief engineer Jordan Lee held up a sandwich bag of carryover parts. Its contents: two starter bolts, a piston pin, and a few miscellaneous bits. At the same time, the 466-pound engine preserves some small-block hallmarks. The LT1 retains 4.4-inch bore spacing and a camshaft mounted in the block with pushrod-actuated valves. Overhead camshafts would have added four inches to the small-block’s 25.3-inch height, requiring that the C7 Corvette’s hoodline be raised.
While the Corvette team was unwilling to compromise on the hood height, they have raised the compression ratio to 11.5:1. The LT1 is also likely the first overhead-valve engine with direct injection, with injectors located deep in the engine’s vee. They are fed by a cam-driven fuel pump. The variable valve timing, while new to the Corvette, isn’t as sophisticated as most overhead-cam arrangements. The small-block can shift the valve events by up to 62 degrees, but can’t adjust intake and exhaust valve timing independently. Valve timing is advanced for more torque and retarded for better fuel economy.
Cylinder deactivation allows the engine to operate as a 3.1-liter V-4 using cylinders 8, 2, 5, and 3, with a claimed 20 percent efficiency improvement when the system (called Active Fuel Management) is active. Engineers promise that the engine note will measure up to expectations in all conditions. “We’re looking forward to another generation of ground-pounding American thunder,” Juechter said.
For now, GM is silent on future performance derivations that could power a new Z06 or ZR1. They have revealed that a dry-sump oil system will be available on the LT1, hinting at a future for the Corvette Grand Sport coupe. That model currently uses the base Corvette’s LS3 engine with a dry-sump system.
The LT1 will be assembled at GM’s Tonawanda engine plant in New York, which opened in 1937 and played a role in building the original 1955 small-block V-8.
The 2014 C7 Chevrolet Corvette will be unveiled on January 13, 2013, in conjunction with the Detroit auto show.
2014 Chevrolet Corvette LT1 V-8 Specifications
Engine type: 90-degree V-8 with overhead valves; continuous VVT
Displacement: 6.2L (376 cubic inches)
Bore x Stroke (in / mm): 4.06 x 3.62 / 103.25 x 92
Cylinder block: cast aluminum with nodular main caps
Main bearing fasteners: six, including two cross-bolts per cap
Crankshaft: forged steel
Connecting rods: powder metal, 6.125 inches in length
Pistons: eutectic aluminum alloy
Compression ratio: 11.5:1
Cylinder heads: 319-T7 cast aluminum with 59.02cc combustion chambers
Valve angles (degrees): 12.5 intake, 12 exhaust
Intake valves: 2.13 inches (54mm) hollow
Exhaust valves: 1.59 inches (40.4mm) hollow sodium
Camshaft: Hydraulic-type with tri-lobe for fuel-pump drive
Camshaft lift: 0.551-inch (14mm) intake / 0.524-inch (13.3mm) exhaust
Camshaft duration: 200-degrees intake / 207-degrees exhaust (at 0.050-inch)
Lobe separation angle: 116.5 degrees
Fuel delivery: direct injection
Intake manifold: “runners in a box” design; composite construction
Throttle: 87mm electronically controlled throttle body
Ignition: 58X with individual coil-on-plug and iridium-tip spark plugs
Horsepower: 450 hp @ 6000 rpm (estimated)
Torque: 450 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm (estimated)
Max. engine speed 6,600 rpm (fuel cutoff)

<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

<STYLE type=text/css> #gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 25%; } #gallery-1 img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } #gallery-1 .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; } </STYLE><!-- see gallery_shortcode() in wp-includes/media.php --><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL>

<DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL>

Read more: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gains New LT1 6.2-Liter V-8 - Rumor Central

Old 10-26-2012, 12:55 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Does this new LT1 come with Optispark??

Old 10-26-2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Does this new LT1 come with Optispark??

`Mike, I think it's a special order option, but it's very expensive & I don't think you could afford it or handle the power ~> or be able 2 shift that many gears without gett'in ConFuzed (LOL) ~>

Old 10-27-2012, 06:12 AM

2014 Chevy Corvette gets all-new 450-hp Gen 5 Small Block LT1 V8

Posted 10/25/2012 12:25 PM
Share this article

1 / 5

gen-5-lt1-small-block-corvette-engine-on-stand-600-001

The wraps won't come off of the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette until January 13 in conjunction with the 2012 Detroit Auto Show, but we now know exactly what will be under the hood of the next-gen "C7" Corvette. Motivation will come from GM's all-new Gen 5 Small Block V8. Designated LT1 and displacing 6.2 liters, this fifth incarnation of the world's most iconic V8 engine is a compact, tech-rich exercise that promises to give America's Sport Car a performance boost on every level.

While output numbers on this comprehensively redesigned engine have not been finalized, Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer, has confirmed preliminary ratings of 450 horsepower and 450 lb-ft of torque -- stats that top the 430/424 numbers of the current model's LS3 base engine and make the new LT1 the most powerful standard Corvette engine in the car's 60-year history. That muscle is expected to deliver sub-4.0 second 0-60 mph times, which will ensure that the new C7 is the quickest standard Corvette ever as well, when it goes on sale late next year. And the LT1's formidable array of mileage-maxing features also will make certain the 2014 Corvette is the least thirsty variant, with an EPA highway mileage mark that exceeds the current car's 26-mpg rating. "By leveraging technology, we are able to get more out of every drop of gasoline and because of that we expect the new Corvette will be the most fuel-efficient 450 horsepower car on the market," Juechter said.

Although the new Gen 5 LT1 retains the classic 4.4-inch bore centers that have been a common Small Block trait since the Gen I was introduced in 1955 as well as an overhead valve design with 2 valves per cylinder, literally every other element of the engine has been redone. To emphasize the point, Jordan Lee, Small Block chief engineer and program manager, held up a small plastic baggie that contained all of the Gen 4's carryover parts: starter mounting bolts, piston pins and valve keepers.

Compact in size and rendered in lightweight aluminum, the Gen 5 now features direct fuel injection - the first fitment on an overhead valve engine -- continuously variable valve timing and Active Fuel Management (AFM). Better known as cylinder deactivation, AFM allows the LT1 to function as a V4 under light load conditions. While all three have been used on other GM engines, this marks the first appearance of any in a Corvette application. Their synergistic interaction is the key to making the Corvette's new V8 a viable alternative to reducing size or cylinder count in an era of increasingly stringent EPA requirements.

Despite early speculation that the new Gen 5 V8 might displace only 5.5-liters - same as the engine used in the current Corvette Racing C6.R models - Juechter says the 6.2-liter scale was a function of the mission-critical AFM system. Holding size will permit the Corvette's new LT1 to operate on just four cylinders through a far greater part of the car's "normal" duty cycle to effectively boost mileage yet still ensure it can serve up its formidable power and torque at a moment's notice. Speaking of the latter, that kick-you-back-in-the-seat commodity has been seriously elevated in the new LT1. While significantly better than the LS3 throughout its entire rev range, below 4,000 rpm, the new LT1's torque output is fully comparable to the 7.0-liter LS7 engine in the current Corvette Z06 variant.

"The power and efficiency of the Small Block V8 are hallmarks of Corvette performance," said Lee. "But, the compact size and great power-to-weight are just as important for the overall driving experience. The all-new LT1 will play a huge role in making the all-new Corvette a world-class sports car, in terms of technology, performance, and refinement."

While the focus of the initial Gen 5 Small Block briefing was strictly on its appearance in the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette, the new LT1 V8 is destined to make an appearance in a number of other GM products. The first to get a bespoke version will be the new 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 full-size pickup trucks which will be unveiled next month. The engine also is slated to be in the upcoming 2014 Chevrolet SS performance model that also will arrive late next year and it will filter through the rest of the corporate lineup anywhere a V8 engine is required. Although even the most optimistic GM execs don't think the new Gen 5 Small Block will be able to match the 100,000,000-plus production volume of the first four generations, they are confident that the new Gen 5 will be around long enough to rack up build numbers "in the millions" and keep performance fans of all stripes happy for years, if not decades, to come.
For an in-depth look at the new LT1 engine, click here

Last edited by Space; 10-27-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:38 AM

i own an 89 vette with a six speed, cant find any pics at the moment but its a fun little toy =) the monte is my dd

Old 10-27-2012, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by solaris_vii
i own an 89 vette with a six speed, cant find any pics at the moment but its a fun little toy =) the monte is my dd
^ Look 4ward 2 seeing your pic's & more about it