Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Aftermath of a DUI driver detroying my nephews special needs van and his X-Mas

Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Aftermath of a DUI driver detroying my nephews special needs van and his X-Mas

My nephew is a very special needs person and last week a drunk driver destroyed his parked van and now has no transportation. Driver has no insurance and uninsured coverage doesn't cover much, not even a rental. He also ran away from the accident and escaped jail. Why do people do this...

see video:

Special Needs Van Damaged By Hit-And-Run Driver - Video - KGTV San Diego

Tom

Old 12-20-2011, 08:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sad, maybe someone will step up in the area and make a donation to hel;p the family get it fixed, Holidays sometimes bring miracles...

Old 12-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Reports like this are always sad to see. Hopefully the community will rally around your nephew and help him out in his time of need. As to why people do things like this, I don't have an answer. I hope everything works out for the best.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:55 AM

It's very sad that there are people like that. Wouldn't his collision insurance cover it?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:58 AM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nocturnx
It's very sad that there are people like that. Wouldn't his collision insurance cover it?
No since there was no insurance on the DUI driver's side it falls under uninsured motorist coverage which is only $30K. No rental coverage and the van is totaled. Cost of a replacement van is $40-60K.

All others. Thank you for the thoughts and replies.

Tom

Old 12-20-2011, 09:00 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Man that is sad to hear hope everything works out & he can get a new van

Old 12-20-2011, 10:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

In my area there is transportation for people with special needs. Its provided by the bus system and it's low cost, like a few dollars a ride. Maybe there is something like that in you area.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:39 AM

Hello `Tom,
Your thread is so sad , but its reality on the damage and pain that careless people can cause to others..
The violator should be made to pay for his actions...Not just sent to prison to join his friends, but made to work until his debt to society is paid....

Our system of Crime & Punishment needs to be re-examined and changed for the better 4-Sure!

It's also a reminder to those that have healthy children to appreciate & respect others that are not as fortunate & must endure taking care on those with handicap's. I can only imagine the difficulty the parents encounter everyday.

I do hope that there is help in your area...There are so many in need today...

Thanks for sharing & it's another wake `up on what's really important in life. I wish your nephew & family the strength to endure this obstacle that has been placed before them, and that it makes them stronger...

I'm sure that you are doing everything you can to assist, and I pray that there are others helping...

The best to you & your family this holiday season...

Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 AM
15 Year Member

Thank you "Space". I always look forward to your posts and responses. Very thought out and meaningful.

Tom

Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

time for a christmas miracle. At least insurance is taking care of that much. 40k is quite a bit of cash

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermath of a DUI driver detroying my nephews special needs van and his X-Mas