Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

9/11

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 9/11

Seven years ago now.

If anyone would like to talk about it.Or just remember where you were, or what you were doing when you first heard about it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2963/A602EBDD03A544FAABEC9045E7CFA5BE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Default RE: 9/11

I was asleep and got a phone call to turn on the t.v. from my mom 6 a.m. pacifict time.I remember it being a beautiful morning. I sat in amazement as I watched the attackunfold and then the collapse of the towers.I had it on at workand didn't have a customer come in my store the entire day. I was a sad day. On my right sholder I have a tattoo of and eagle with the American flag streaming off of it and it says Freedom Forever. I got this in honor of those who died that day. [sm=usa.gif]

We must never forget and always be vigilant.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had gotten home from working midnight shift around 8:30a.m. and went to bed. While in bed, I was listening to a very popular local Detroit morning radioshow called "Drew & Mike". They always kept tv's going in studio. When the first plane hit, their producer yelled out to them to look at the screen (tuned into CNN). I immediately turned my tv onto CNN also, and watched it till about 1:00pm when I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.

I can't describe the feeling while I watched (live) the second plane hit, each tower fall, the live coverage of the pentagon, and of course flight 93.

Things here in the Detroit/Windsor area went into lock-down. Being an international border,all border crossings closed for days. For the first time in my memory, military fighter jets circled the skies of Detroit. Armed, with orders to be on the offensive. U.S. and Canadian coast guard ships closed the shipping channel in the Detroit River. International truck traffic bound for the U.S. backed upover 50 miles.

In general, the beginning of the song, "In My Life" by The Beatles comes to mind:

"There are places I remember all my life, though some have changed. Some forever, not for better. Some have gone, and some remain. All these places had their moments, with loved ones and friends I still can recall. Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I loved them all."

Old 09-11-2008, 09:56 AM

[align=center]I still think 911 is still a bad `Space Dream [X(][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]My brain is still not capable of comprehending that[/align][align=center]humans can do such horrendous acts to others.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I sure do not want to believe in any God that would condone[/align][align=center]such acts. I believe that people are the sum total of[/align][align=center]their teachings, and experiences in their lives.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I believe that many people can be programmed to[/align][align=center]`hurt, to kill other humans.[:@][X(][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]The history of our World has many such acts, and we[/align][align=center]still havenot learned to love one another,[/align][align=center]but many have Mastered, how to `hurt. [:@][X(][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I was taught and live by one rule, one commandment,[/align][align=center]and that is: Not to purposely `hurt self, or others.[/align][align=center]I wish it could be a rule/commandment for Planet `Earth.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Only `Love can cure, and change our World.[/align][align=center]Together we can change our World, or we can Destroy `it.[/align][align=center]I wish wisdom to the leaders of our World to lead[/align][align=center]by example, to live in peace and happiness.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]What am I doing to make it better ?[/align][align=center]Obeying the laws of my country, or working peacefully[/align][align=center]to change the ones I believe are unfair/unjust.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Doing everything within my powers to Assist/help others that are being `hurt, or are hurting.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Speaking Good, and Acting my Words.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]"No One is Promised a Tomorrow"[/align][align=center]We must live our Now[/align][align=center]We must live Good, and re-teach/control the Bad on Planet Earth.[/align][align=center]Will there be a judgement day for our human acts ? ? ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I pray for Peace, for `all.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I wish that 911 was just a Bad Dream, but it was real. [:@][X(][/align][align=center]I feel pain for the lose of the many innocent people, and[/align][align=center]their families.[X(][X(][/align][align=center]I wish them, and our World[/align][align=center]~ Peace ~[/align][align=center][IMG]local://upfiles/4301/8DD27D45256F4AF1B650BB6C3E1B7440.gif[/IMG] [/align][align=center]`from a `kid[/align][align=center]amen[/align]

Old 09-11-2008, 10:46 AM

Time is a great healer, but even today looking at the images, the shock, the fear, and the sadness are still there. 3000 people were killed in a matter of hours. I remember that our local fire depts. were informed they'd need to have an ambulance or 2 ready to go to the airport to pick up he badly injured survivors, sine the NY hospitals would be overloaded. Sadly, that never happened as so few people lived. We will never forget. WE ARE the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:20 AM

I don't think I'll ever forget that day and what I was doing at the time.

I was in an early morning class in college. It was a History Class. The teacher was very popular with students and as he was wrapping up the class a student just walked into the class and said that a small plane had hit one of the towers. Another history teacher walked in he was very popular with students as well he had spent a long time in the military. First thing he said was this was not an accident he hadn’t even turned on the tv yet.

Class was over I ran to my Wife’s dorm room, well she was just one of my favorite girlfriends back then LOL. She was still sleeping. I
turned on the TV and woke her up well we were watching and then the second plane hit. She was crying cuz her aunts and uncles worked in NYC at the time. Me I couldn’t believe it was happening.

I had to go to another class, there were people crying all over the campus.
The class was French 101. The teacher was straight off the boat from France.
We sat there watching TV i the classroom she walked in watched for 5 min then turned it off and started to proceed with the class.
Students weren’t too happy with it, me neither. I think we were the only class not watching what was happening.A few people were crying. the teacher was lecturing. no one was listening to her.
I was wonderingwhy took this class, it was an elective. I didn’t like the teacher from day one, shewas way too hardcore for a 101 class, I think she took itway too personal cuz she was from France. I sat there for a few more minutes looked at one mybball teammate that was sitting to my left. We both shook our heads and got up at the same time and left the class. I went straight to the registration office dropped the class and signed up for a nutritional class.
She tried to get us in trouble in the next few days. Had a meeting with her and the academics dean, he basically told her this is college not high school. We are adults now going or staying in class is optional.

God bless all the fallen heroes and their families.
We Will never forget 9/11/01.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:31 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If I may...........
We told any and everyone EXACTLY how to bring the towers down. The stupid news media in this country did shows on it. So why were we so surprised when it did happen?
Anyone wants to reply stating this isn't true, I'm willing to listen.

I had just got up and turned on the computer. Back then I worked evenings. Yahoo had an image of a plane headed towards one of the towers on their home page. I recall calling my mother who was at work and asking her what was going on?
Shortly afterwards my g/f Debbie called and said what she'd heard about this at work.
I'm certain they had jets over Wright-Pat.
I also remember the following days the price gouging local gas stations were doing. They had gas at $4/gal. Some places higher yet.
I also remember hearing these places were suppose to refund any and all monies they gouged. I'll bet this never did happen.

In some ways I feel this incident has made our country weaker. Why? All the nay sayers who did or do not want to support our men and women overseas.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:32 AM

I was ridding the bus to school in 7th grade. (Wow, seems like a long time ago) Anyways the bus driver had been listening to the radio when the story came on, listened to it all the way to school, once we got to school we didn't have any classes, the teachers were all watching the news and they set up a tv in the library for us kids to watch. I remember some parents getting their kids and taking them home for the day.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:15 PM

RJ,

We told any and everyone EXACTLY how to bring the towers down. The stupid news media in this country did shows on it.
That does not make it less of a tragedy.

So why were we so surprised when it did happen?
So you want to tell me you weren't surprised when it happened?
Everyone is talking about global warming now, is this what you are going to say when the polar caps melt?

The media can run anything they want because it is their right. Even if most of the stuff is stupid.
If they couldnt do that that means you and me will be thinking twice on what we post on this or any other forum, or what you say when in public.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I was in 6th grade then. We watched CNN for the first hour then the principle (dumbass) made us turn off all TVs/radios. I missed a part of history and only saw pre-recorded newscast.