Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

87 GN 10miles 4 $108K : )

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 87 GN 10miles 4 $108K : )

[align=center]Another Rare Find.[/align][align=center]Slow post'in day on the MCF,[/align][align=center]So here's something to see/dream about: )[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Who said GM Performance Cars don't hold their value. $$$[/align][align=center]Only 10 miles on below GN : )[/align][align=center]1987BuickGrand NationalMSO TITLE!![/align][align=center]$108K[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I would rather have a 09 ZR1, but `if I hit the lotto ?
I would love to have it in my collection....4-Sure
[/align][align=center]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?[/align]

Old 05-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Default RE: 87 GN 10miles 4 $108K : )

B-E-A-UTIFUL Car, 'Space!

Old 05-07-2008, 01:29 PM

thats the turbo charged v6 that whoops the *** of most any v8s around

Old 05-07-2008, 01:38 PM

[align=center]Hi `Chris, [/align][align=center]I would love to see a Monte with RWD & that engine/turbo : )[/align][align=center]4-Sure : )[/align][align=center]____________________________________________[/align][align=center]The More I read about the GNX, the most I am impressed[/align][align=center]with what GM did back over two decades ago[/align][align=center]with a 3.8L Turbo RWD : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Found the below links below on the GNX[/align][align=center]1/4 miles in 8 Seconds ? [:-][/align][align=center][/align]GNXperience
[/align][align=center]
[/align]writer: Rick Jensen
[/align]It's over 90 degrees and hot in North Jersey. The air is cranked as Associate Editor Scott Parker and I pull off of the highway toward Basking Ridge. Any day spent photographing EFI GM musclecars is a good one, but this particular shoot is something special.
We pull into a neighborhood and meet up with Ron Joseph: Buick lover, GSCA member, and owner of Ron's Custom Auto in Kenilworth. You have to look all the way back to a '50 Super, Ron's first car, to understand his affection for Bufords. This proud grandfather has owned five Buicks over the years, and he still enjoys boosting his '87 GN to low-10-second ETs. Ron hits the garage door switch, which, after a painfully slow crawl upward, reveals GNX #342. The GNX--created by GM in partnership with ASC/McLaren--is angular and sinister, like a stealth fighter, and woefully out of place in this bright, cheery garage. It's real, it has just less than 7,000 original miles, and it's spectacular.The Turbo Buicks came with the Type I ignition coilpacks, so it takes a few seconds of cranking before the LC2 engine rumbles to life. Even though the GNX got a high-tech turbo and a bigger intercooler for improved performance, the X's dual-muffler exhaust creates the biggest audible difference to a run-of-the-mill Turbo Regal.
As the 3.8L V-6 idles, Joseph reveals the performance modifications to his Buick: a modified air filter plate and fuel pressure regulator, a better fuel pump, and a performance chip. They're all non-invasive--most were performed to improve upon the weak stock fuel system--and they greatly improve upon the GNX's factory (under)rating of 276 horses and 360 lb-ft of torque. An electric sender, a radiator hose gizmo, a few gauges, and an interior and trunk kit aside, this GNX is identical to the 547 that rolled into Buick dealerships in 1987.
That year in New Jersey, a dealer took delivery of a new GNX with only 12 miles on the clock. The GNX craze was on, and one example of Buick's baddest Regal was sold in New York City for an astounding $90,000. Hoping for a big profit, the dealer priced the black rocket at $69,000 and placed it in the showroom. And there it sat...
...Until one morning in the spring of 1992, when Ron awoke and decided that he needed a GNX. He moved on that thought quickly, selling his '87 Vette and his wife's '87 GN to make room in the garage. He visited the dealership where the GNX sat in storage, and without even taking it for a test drive, bought it on the spot for $34,000.
During a brief stint behind the wheel, a couple things struck me: 90 percent of the X's sounds would be familiar to owners of T-types and GNs. It had that same clunk going into gear; the same soft hum as you breathe on the throttle. But with the GNX-only Panhard bar/torque arm rear suspension, the feel was totally different. This unique suspension, replete with a classy aluminum rear end cover, pushes the car's rear up when powerbraking--and traction with street tires is astounding. Inside the cockpit, the Stewart-Warner gauge package was a dramatic upgrade from the regular GN/T gauges, although

Old 05-07-2008, 05:30 PM

1980 THIS WAS THE FIRST YEAR FOR THE TURBO MONTES. EVEN IT WAS A BUICK ENGINE.. Has anyone seen this style, at any of the car shows, I seen one at norwalk super chevy show and that was the last time i seen one, The hood had Tubo insigina on both siders with a little scoop. You can still buy the emblems for it.
The car had a mild frontal restyle, with an eggcrate grille, quad headlights and amber indicators mounted beneath. Rear styling remained the same. An automatic transmission became standard on all models and a new Chevrolet-built 3.8L (229cid) V6 replaced both the 200 V6 of 1979 and the Buick engine offered on all 1978 models and the 1979 Landau as the standard engine in 49 states (California cars still got the Buick engine). A new option for 1980 was Buick's turbocharged version of the 231 V6 rated at 170 hp. Other optional engines included 267 and 305 V8s, which carried over from last year. Speedometers now read 85 MPH (up from a mere 80 MPH the previous year).
[edit][/align]
The body was restyled and enlarged slightly with the other GM A-body personal luxury coupes (Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, Pontiac Grand Prix and Buick Regal). It featured a smoother profile than the previous models in a quest for better aerodynamics (and eliminated the trademark curvaceous fender contours), and new vertical taillights similar to the 1975-1976 models. Engine offerings were mostly carried over, including the standard 229 V6 (231 V6 in California) an optional 267 V8 (not available in California). The 305 V8 was now (temporarily) available only in California models - the 267 V8 was unfortunately the top V8 option for the rest of the 49 states. The turbo 170 hp 231 Buick V6 borrowed from the Regal Sport Coupe continued for one more year. Automatic transmission, power steering and power front disc brakes were standard equipment. All transmissions were again the 3-speed auto. Dashboards were also ever-so-slightly revised (the passenger-side A/C vents were now vertical instead of horizontal). The Monte Carlo, like all other GM cars this year, inherited GM's new Computer Command Control lockup torque converter system, which resulted in slightly quicker and firmer shifts than before.
[edit][/align]

1980 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

A subtle facelift freshened up the
1980 Chevrolet Monte Carlo's front end.

The 1980 Chevrolet Monte Carlo received its first facelift since being "downsized" for 1977. The car got a new "eggcrate" grille between rectangular side-by-side headl

Old 05-07-2008, 05:33 PM

Part Description
GM Part #
Model Year

Louver, Hood

Louver, Hood

Seal, Hood Louver
80/81?

Emblem, Hood Louver, Turbo
80/81

Emblem, Dash Plate, Turbo
80/81

Source: Chevrolet Parts and Illustration Catalogs, 10 and 10Asecond part to the first post

Old 05-07-2008, 06:10 PM

I love Gran Natty's!!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

ORIGINAL: scc24540

thats the turbo charged v6 that whoops the *** of most any v8s around
Theoretically speaking when it comes to the GN Space originally posted.
With only 10 miles on it, I doubt it ever saw second gear. I'm guessing it got it's 10 miles from being loaded on and off of car carriers, and also when it rolled off of the assembly line.

On one hand it's nice that it's been stored and kept in showroom condition. But on the other hand, it's a shame that it's never been driven and enjoyed.